What Happens If You Send Money To Someone Who Has Blocked You?

franklincoln

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2256 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

:matte-motes-dead:     Everything in my Lives seems to be A Long Story, so let me just ask this:

The Subject is my question.  What happens if you send money to someone who has blocked you?  I can't really find an answer to this in HELP or at least one that is recent.

Do they qet the money?  Or is the money blocked and returned to you?   Or is the money blocked, then "deleted" (likely going to LL?) and you never know if they got it or if you truly lost it?   Do you get any type of notification at all of what happens when you do this?

Additionally, recent changes to how money is paid/given to someone now allows you to write a note explaining what the money is for.  If the person does get the money, do they also get the note?  Or... what?

Thanks much.

--------------------

My question for you is: Why would you want to pay someone you've blocked?

... If it were me, I'd pay my money to someone that I actually like.

-----------------------

Ah, someone else who read my question backward.   He blocked me; I did not block him.

It is a very bad misunderstand; he thought I did not tell him something I actually had, but he became furious over this without my ever having a chance to sort it out.

He has been forced to lead a very hard, very difficult, very miserable life.   Around now, I don't know exactly, is his birthday.   I wanted to give lindens so he could exchange them for real dollars he could use to make his Real Life, I hope, a little better.  I've done this in the past with him.

I did actually test this with an alt I have, which occured to me suggested I send them money to see.  :matte-motes-grin:   I have a few alts for purposes like this.  The money did arrive fine.  I did get the message saying I had paid him, but even though the money was added to the alt's account, the alt got no notice I had paid him.  This is just as well with my friend; he can't be sure who sent him the money, so he can't return it.

As far as sending a short note with paid money, this is an option Firestorm gives you.  It seems at least some other viewers don't have that.

Thanks to everyone who answered!

18 answers to this question

If you IM with, Pay Linden dollars to, or give inventory to someone you muted, that person is automatically unblocked. Chat history informs you of what's happened.

ETA: Ah!  I read the question backwards.  Irene is right.  The answer is not clear.  It's easy enough to find out, though.  Block your alt and then have her send you L$10.  See what happens.  Even if the experiment fails miserably, the most you're out is L$10.

My question for you is:  Why would you want to pay someone you've blocked?

If you Block someone, they are on your "People I'd Rather Not Have to Deal With" list.  That would seem to mean that they don't have a business relationship with you, you don't buy products from them, you don't rent land from them, and they have no services you care to purchase.

If it were me, I'd pay my money to someone that I actually like.

I made the same mistake when I read it at first too, Lindal. I can imagine a hypothetical case like this. The OP owes Person B L$ for something, but Person B is really ticked at the OP and has blocked him. So, the OP wants to pay the debt, but wants to be sure that Person B will actually receive it. More than that, the OP knows that Person B won't receive an IM or a notecard, but wonders if a friendly note attached to the payment -- an apology, maybe? -- will make it through. If I were just a little bit more curious, I'd mute my alt and find out. ;)

If someone blocks you, and you send them money through their tip jar, this is what happens:  [12:45] SapphicFancy Resident's Tip Gwen's Tip Rose 6.0: Kit Idziak tipped you L$50. You have been paid L$50.

Or, if you block someone and they send you money through your tip jar, same thing, just said differently.

28 minutes ago, SapphicFancy said:

If someone blocks you, and you send them money through their tip jar, this is what happens:  [12:45] SapphicFancy Resident's Tip Gwen's Tip Rose 6.0: Kit Idziak tipped you L$50. You have been paid L$50.

Or, if you block someone and they send you money through your tip jar, same thing, just said differently.

This is a 6 year old post.  I doubt the OP still cares. :)

• Like 1

It's old, but still a timely topic.  One of the students in my Safety class told me that a guy she'd muted years ago still sent her a little $L 1 payment every year or two, just to let her know he was still around.

Creepy.

And yes, we verified by experimenting.  If YOU block someone, then pay them, they are unblocked (and they get the money).  If someone has blocked YOU and you pay them, you will remain blocked...but they will get the money.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It's old, but still a timely topic.  One of the students in my Safety class told me that a guy she'd muted years ago still sent her a little $L 1 payment every year or two, just to let her know he was still around.

Creepy.

And yes, we verified by experimenting.  If YOU block someone, then pay them, they are unblocked (and they get the money).  If someone has blocked YOU and you pay them, you will remain blocked...but they will get the money.

Yeah creepers are creative, one of my odd aquaintances was the first to buy my sole MP item ... now I'm pretty sure he has no fairy avatar... they find ways to make you uncomfortable.

One thing about the above discussion/questions that I don't see as ever getting answered:  If you pay someone that has blocked you and send a message with the payment (in the comment/message area of the pay window), they will NOT see the message even though they do get the money.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

One of the students in my Safety class told me that a guy she'd muted years ago still sent her a little $L 1 payment every year or two, just to let her know he was still around.

Creepy.

Eeeww, doubly, triply creepy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2256 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.