The SL9B Fail

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Community Manager
Having seen the feedback in this thread and elsewhere about the plan for SL9B celebrations, we wanted to elaborate a bit about why we’ve decided to focus on promoting numerous events hosted by the community this year, rather than hosting a centralized celebration as we have in the past.

We want to give the Second Life community more control over the celebrations and to put the focus of the events where we think it really belongs: on you – the landowners, the creators, the artists, the DJs, the musicians, the venue managers – the people who make Second Life great every day.

Many of you have invested both time and money in your own venues inworld, and we think the SL9B celebrations are a good opportunity to introduce new people to the work you’ve put into cultivating a community presence inworld (rather than potentially drawing traffic away from your region to a central event). A collection of decentralized events and exhibits means that not only can many more creators participate, but it should also help us to avoid some of the performance challenges that have lessened the fun for attendees at past SL Birthdays.

As many of you have pointed out, there are pros and cons to the approach we’re taking this year, just as there have been in the past, but we hope you’ll choose to participate and enjoy the celebrations.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linden Lab wrote:

We want to give the Second Life community more control over the celebrations and to put the focus of the events where we think it really belongs: on you – the landowners,
the creators, the artists
, the DJs, the musicians, the venue managers – the people who make Second Life great every day.

*cut*

As many of you have pointed out, there are pros and cons to the approach we’re taking this year, just as there have been in the past, but we hope you’ll choose to participate and enjoy the celebrations.

Club owners could run a party. People who enjoy clubs could attend a party. But for builders and artists, there isn't anything set up this year. You could still turn it around, by setting a theme and adding themed builds/art collections to the destination guide. But as it stands, this setup is for parties, not for builds.

Which is one reason why I was disappointed, because I don't run a club and I don't enjoy parties. I enjoy building and exploring, which aren't being included in this year's celebrations.

So speaks the anonymous voice.

Your suggested purpose is specious. Your implied tone is condescending. We pay your salary. You exist to serve *us*. To say that you have changed the format of the birthday in order to serve *us* is a fraud.

As I have said, I am a land owner; I have one of the most popular sims in Second Life. I have spent thousands of U$ to make it so. I DO NOT WANT YOU TO MAKE THE SECOND LIFE BIRTHDAY ABOUT EVENTS SPREAD OUT ACROSS THE GRID. Did anyone in Linden Labs ask? Does anyone in Linden Labs care? Based on your response, the answer is no.

The only truth I see in your statement is that you are avoiding the obvious annual test of load that is SLB - seeing how well the sims can stand up to the rigors that such an event puts on them. At one point, Philip's goal was to have sims that could support hundreds of people simultaneously to share in virtual content. SLB was part of the process of moving towards that. Clearly, that no longer matters to you new people at the helm.

No, what I see is that you are more concerned about creating your own content (so called "Linden Realms"), and therefore you don't have time or resources (what ever happened to the marketing people who work on such things?)  to do what traditionally has been one of the premiere unifying events of each year.

I stand by my original statement: to have this be on our land, under our tier, with entertainment paid for at our expense, is a copout of major proportions.

Thank you very much for the reply! I have not expected it and it is very nice to see that someone is reading those posts and feel, that there is a need for a response ....

but ....

I have to say, that I agree with the poster above that this answer is not one that would make me believe into the reasons behind the decission and I have to admit that when the investment of time and money has been mentioned, my first thought was ... what about saying 'thank you' for it? What about saying 'thank you' that we all kept SL and LL both alive during times of economic trouble and still support it? What about showing that LL stands behind it's product and is aware of the fact who pays for it's existence?

Even when it would be done by something like a once a year event (that could be better orgenized and set up then the last ones but I know that it is possible since I remember those before) and the investment of a few minutes of the time of the CEO for a speach given at the event. That would do a lot to avoid the usual backslash and anger about the (so far almost always) horrid communication and community strategy followed by LL in the past.

LL ... people want to love you all, but you are making it hard to even put a little bit of trust into your future decissions   -.-

Polenth Yue wrote

But for builders and artists, there isn't anything set up this year. You could still turn it around, by setting a theme and adding themed builds/art collections to the destination guide. But as it stands, this setup is for parties, not for builds.

Which is one reason why I was disappointed, because I don't run a club and I don't enjoy parties. I enjoy building and exploring, which aren't being included in this year's celebrations.

Why couldn't the builders all combine resources and build a builders expo party/event and submit it? It is an event and all about the diversity of SL and buildings as well. There is absolutely no reason why all the builders could not combine forces and create this with little to no cost for everyone. . Its all about building and creating and I would imagine builders could  do it best :) I just think its time to not worry about it and make it happen :)

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

Why couldn't the builders all combine resources and build a builders expo party/event and submit it? It is an event and all about the diversity of SL and buildings as well. There is absolutely no reason why all the builders could not combine forces and create this with little to no cost for everyone. . Its all about building and creating and I would imagine builders could  do it best
:)
I just think its time to not worry about it and make it happen

Why couldn't Linden Labs donate the land, as they have done in the past, rather than be really piggish about it and require us to pay for the celebration?

Jahman Ochs wrote:

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

Why couldn't the builders all combine resources and build a builders expo party/event and submit it? It is an event and all about the diversity of SL and buildings as well. There is absolutely no reason why all the builders could not combine forces and create this with little to no cost for everyone. . Its all about building and creating and I would imagine builders could  do it best
I just think its time to not worry about it and make it happen

Why couldn't Linden Labs donate the land, as they have done in the past, rather than be really piggish about it and require us to pay for the celebration?

Piggish? Lol hardly. Bringing the people to your hard work is hardly so. We (other residents and I)  are currently starting an avatar project with no extra cost to us. How? Combined forces. Gathering of the minds. Sharing of ideas. Generous donations.... Community participation

We could sit here and blame sl for everything but honestly in my own oppinion this is an awesome idea to me, and brings the community together more I would think. I honestly can not wait untill they roll out the plan in full detail . If it doesn't work out then oh well. Better luck next time... But to sit here and call LL Piggish instead of getting out there and see what you could create for it seems a bit harsh lol but i guess thats just how I feel about it lol

What does it hurt to combine forces to make things work? Whats the worst can happen? You learn something new and make a friend or 2? Maybe gain a few new customers? I am just not one to knock it untill I try it. You never know. It could be a huge hit... But to dub it as a fail .. Not yet.. Could be. Or could not be lol we wont know. But We all know LL is going to do it their way and time to jump on the train .

Epic fail...

A comment I posted on a blog:

The why this is good crowd, if they exist; have these arguments:
- SLxB has always been an impossible lagfest.
- Its always been very FIC-like. Who gets in and why and such. Probably just first come first serve, but it seems to end up being a certain kind of set.

- Two very powerful arguments against a centralized SLxB. So you’d think with me opening there I’d see this as good.

BUT…

- SLxB just really is a place for everything to be together.
- It generates a lot of internal buzz.
- Folks who don’t get out much learn about other things through it.
- We get an idea of what’s up with SL through it. Showing off the platform.
- Community, community, community…
- Its one of the few things that makes SL not just ‘another MMO.’

Kinda got the sense things were going this way though – when the Lindens had almost no part in the last one, 8b. And with the shutting down of more and more lines of communication of late.

The last names fiasco where they lied and then said no at the end, then asked for communication, only to shut it off hours later and retreat to hidden doors…
- That kind of betrayal of the community pretty much is the signpost through which this could have been predicted.

Makes you wonder what’s next…

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

.... We (other residents and I)  are currently starting an avatar project with no extra cost to us. How? Combined forces. Gathering of the minds. Sharing of ideas. Generous donations.... Community participation

But that is a project from RESIDENTS. The SLxB was a SECOND LIFE / LINDEN LAB project. There is a diffrence.

I'm done here. I wish everyone well, honestly, but nothing can be said to make me think this is a positive change. Were it done as a supplement to the traditional process, I would hail it as a major improvement - part of the problem with last year was a rather dychotomous reversal of promotion of concurrent events elsewhere on the grid while SL8B was going on - and now this tearing of gears and the trashing of years of tradition. So it goes.

As I've said elsewhere, I no longer pay that much attention to what Linden Labs does, and only voice my opinion in these forums when I feel something egregious needs comment. I realize that makes me seem bitter, to some, and I apologize for interfering with anyone's rose-colored glasses. My life in SL really is in spite of Linden Labs, not because of it, for the past few years, which I know, too, is not an uncommon state for veterans of this platform. I maintain and tweak my content in-world, and will continue to pay my thousands of U$ annually until the traffic dries up, for whatever reason.

Continued shame on you, LL. Happy trails to the rest of you.

Irene Muni wrote:

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

.... We (other residents and I)  are currently starting an avatar project with no extra cost to us. How? Combined forces. Gathering of the minds. Sharing of ideas. Generous donations.... Community participation

But that is a project from RESIDENTS. The SLxB was a SECOND LIFE / LINDEN LAB project. There is a diffrence.

My point for the post was not the fact of what type of project it is. But for the meer fact that it can be done. If a person tries.

Yes. I agree both are different projects. But the fact remains, combined forces could pull sometrhing off with resources they already have. Yes the Project for SLxB is a Linden Project. But the project this year is the residents.

I see a lot of posts about " Linden labs does nothing for us " And the same people(not meaning you of course or anyone in particular) turn around and knock it when LL tries to do something for them lol ' Oh Linden Labs. This year you offer to bring the party to us, but we dont want that, do what we think you should do" lol

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

Irene Muni wrote:

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

My point for the post was not the fact of what type of project it is. But for the meer fact that it can be done. If a person tries.

Yes. I agree both are different projects. But the fact remains, combined forces could pull sometrhing off with resources they already have. Yes the Project for SLxB is a Linden Project. But the project this year is the residents.

I see a lot of posts about " Linden labs does nothing for us " And the same people(not meaning you of course or anyone in particular) turn around and knock it when LL tries to do something for them lol ' Oh Linden Labs.
This year you offer to bring the party to us, but we dont want that, do what we think you should do" lol

"This year you offer to bring the party to us, but we dont want that, do what we think you should do" lol"

How does this "bring the party to us?"  How does this work to bring the community together?  It's just same old, same old.

I enjoyed wandering around the SLB SIM's in times past. I am an avid explorer in SL and I got to see things that I don't think I would have gotten to see or found otherwise.

Now, to celebrate they are going to do what they have been doing all along.  Provide links.  What's so special about that?  And like I said in another thread replying to Linden Labs post:

"Are you going to set standards for being included as a participant who will be promoted by LL, "we’ve decided to focus on promoting numerous events,"

What does one need to do to get promoted by the Lab in this?

Otherwise you are just going to get every Tom, Dick and Mary adding "come celebrate SL9B with us" and wind up with the same Spamzilla that is happening in the Market Place after the announcement regarding the  "Madstyle" promotion,

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Merchants/madstyle-keyword-spam-apparently/td-p/1491529 ,

in case you were not aware."

Quoting Linden Lab now:

"A collection of decentralized events and exhibits means that not only can many more creators participate, but it should also help us to avoid some of the performance challenges that have lessened the fun for attendees at past SL Birthdays."  http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/SL9B/m-p/1492593#M60064

Adult rated and Child rated already in the past had to do their own thing.  See Marianne's discussion here:  https://my.secondlife.com/marianne.mccann/posts/4f8da663250605000100460c

As far as the comment about "performance challenges," the Lab is in a better position to deal with and provide the resources to deal with those than individual SIM owners are.   So instead of ameliorating the performance problems they throw the problem back on the SIM and Venue owners.

I just don't know what to think at this point.  I really don't. 

Perrie Juran wrote:

I enjoyed wandering around the SLB SIM's in times past. I am an avid explorer in SL and I got to see things that I don't think I would have gotten to see or found otherwise.

Totally agree. The SLB was (OMG, "was" :( ) an incredible event for enjoy, see amazing creations and events, volunteer work, and maaaaaany more.

Bye bye SLB, as we said Bye Bye to the other major event of Linden Lab, the Burning Life.

I'm sad.

Jahman Ochs wrote:

I'm done here. I wish everyone well, honestly, but nothing can be said to make me think this is a positive change. Were it done as a supplement to the traditional process, I would hail it as a major improvement - part of the problem with last year was a rather dychotomous reversal of promotion of concurrent events elsewhere on the grid while SL8B was going on - and now this tearing of gears and the trashing of years of tradition. So it goes.

As I've said elsewhere, I no longer pay that much attention to what Linden Labs does, and only voice my opinion in these forums when I feel something egregious needs comment. I realize that makes me seem bitter, to some, and I apologize for interfering with anyone's rose-colored glasses. My life in SL really is in spite of Linden Labs, not because of it, for the past few years, which I know, too, is not an uncommon state for veterans of this platform. I maintain and tweak my content in-world, and will continue to pay my thousands of U$ annually until the traffic dries up, for whatever reason.

Continued shame on you, LL. Happy trails to the rest of you.

one user agrees

Gosh I would love to report this post for "inappropriate content". Sadly, condescension, disingenuousness and disdain for the customer are now the norm for "community standards" so I'm sure it wouldn't be successful. I think the real truth is more likely "we're cheap and we don't want to supply free server space so let's spin it to make it sound warm and fuzzy." 

LL would earn more respect if they just said "we're short on cash and can't afford the bandwidth."

Bleh.

Linden Lab wrote:

Having seen the feedback in this thread and elsewhere about the plan for SL9B celebrations, we wanted to elaborate a bit about why we’ve decided to focus on promoting numerous events hosted by the community this year, rather than hosting a centralized celebration as we have in the past.

We want to give the Second Life community more control over the celebrations and to put the focus of the events where we think it really belongs: on you – the landowners, the creators, the artists, the DJs, the musicians, the venue managers – the people who make Second Life great every day.

Many of you have invested both time and money in your own venues inworld, and we think the SL9B celebrations are a good opportunity to introduce new people to the work you’ve put into cultivating a community presence inworld (rather than potentially drawing traffic away from your region to a central event). A collection of decentralized events and exhibits means that not only can many more creators participate, but it should also help us to avoid some of the performance challenges that have lessened the fun for attendees at past SL Birthdays.

Hello all!

Sorry for my bad bad english :P

For me, it's not a bad thing. We can participate to the SL Birthday. It's also our Birthday.

Is there someone who can give me rules for purpose an event? 

I'd like to prepare something and have an idea. 

But, may creators sell their creations during an SL9B event? May singer, dj, artists,... put their tip jar during this event?

I know that for the other SL*B, commercial activity was prohibited. But for SL9B?

Of course, i don't want have money lol. But i will invite some creators so i'd like to know what i can purpose to their.

Kiss

Chloe

Is there someone who can give me rules for purpose an event? 

I'd like to prepare something and have an idea. 

But, may creators sell their creations during an SL9B event? May singer, dj, artists,... put their tip jar during this event?

This is an important question.  To these specific questions, I'd venture a guess that it will be allowed... where "allowed" means that it won't disqualify a venue for listing itself or its events as "SL9B" in the Destination Guide. The larger question, however, is much thornier.

Will the SL9B DG list locations that, for example, have those various devices that just barely skirt the rules against gambling?  (You know: "sploders", "Zyngo", etc.)  What if that's the only content at the location? Or, maybe only those plus a banner welcoming visitors to "SL9B"?

Or, anticipating another distraction: Can the location be set for sale?

Stated more generally: what are the minimum criteria for SL9B listing in the Destination Guide?

In a general sense, it's an advantage to be more inclusive. For example, it's a very significant advance that Adult content sites can now participate in SL9B directly. No more "no nipples" nonsense, at least for Adult-rated venues.

On the other side of that, however, is retaining appeal of SL9B to potential attendees.  The Adult case is easy, almost by definition: If a Resident wouldn't be interested in Adult content, they already have their filters set to not be exposed to it. But the birthday parties have always been popular because they're special, not merely the same ol' same ol' commercial venues gussied-up with a birthday banner. That's as much a matter of what's excluded as it is what's included. Otherwise, SL9B is just SL, and the Destination Guide is just Search.

Curating listings for this event is going to be a major challenge for the DG editorial team, whether they yet realize it or not. They need to be prepared with guidelines -- and to retain their sanity, they'll want to share those guidelines with residents, at least at some abstract level.

They may even want to engage residents in some discussion of what those guidelines should be.

I said I was done, but I guess I'm not.

"They may even want to engage residents in some discussion of what those guidelines should be."

That's the problem in a nutshell. Linden Labs has abandoned any pretense of caring about what the residents want; this has been clear in every action and deed they have instituted for years. As someone said above, as long as we have nowhere else to go, and they are getting our tier and our premium membership fees, they have no compelling reason to do anything other than whatever is the cheapest for them that they can get away with.

All those many people coming together. Meeting when they would not otherwise meet. Everyone building to the theme provided to celebrate the birthday. Maybe SL hasnt got enough people left to populate 20 sims? I dont understand at all.

Sl can do something no-one else can. They can host an event like Birthday. Only SL can do that.

Events like birthday are what makes SL not boring. In an environment w ithout imposed deadlines and achievment goals it can be difficult to maintain focus, for many of us events like birthday provided that. impetus/structure. 

And getting us to check other social media is just insulting. SL is social media. doh.

It is such a waste and a shame. They could easily have tacked a special page in events onto the  usual sl birthday celebration and everyone would of been happy.

After  SLs failure over years to address the concerns of more than third of its users about viewers they need to be out there proving to us they actually do care. This is not how towin friends and influence people.

they could just put one sim to a server to get rid of lag,, no-one would even know they cheated, so this isnt about  server performance.

What is this years birthday theme?

if sl hasnt provided one

-what about

"Its my party and Ill cry if I want to"

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.  I am speechless.

I was really looking forward to spinning at another SLB like I did the last three years.  Now, what is there really to look forward to?  Different events around different sims?  I loved going to a central place to see the best of the best and what this world was capable of creating.  Now, it's just gonna be tp after tp (assuming they work, that is) and really a lack of community engagement like we've seen before.  And why?  We don't know why.  They won't say.

Safe to say I miss Phillip.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.