Just a friendly reminder during cyber security awareness month about the security measures you can take to protect your avatar, your land, and everything in your inventory!
Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA): Even if hackers guess your password, they won't be able to access your personal info or move money if you have MFA. More info on MFA - or just get started in setting it up.
Verified Emails: If your account is compromised, there are steps to reclaim it. But we need a verified email address to help do that. To see if your email address is confirmed, go to your Account -> Change Email page, and look for the √ Verified next to your email address.
Password Security: Please practice safe password habits:
- Don’t share your passwords with anyone!
- Keep your password unique and special to Second Life. Reusing the same password across different platforms or websites makes your account vulnerable if one of those sites suffer a data breach.
- Choose a secure password with upper- and lowercase letters, numbers, spaces, and symbols, and avoid common dictionary words or phrases.
- No Linden will ever ask for your password. Likewise, there is never a reason for you to enter your password to unlock an item, receive a discount, or anything else.
- Use only the official Second Life Viewer, or a Third Party Viewer from the Third Party Viewer Directory. If the viewer does not allow you to log directly into your account for any reason, the viewer is NOT secure.
- You can read more about keeping your information secure on the wiki at Linden Lab Official: Password Protection