Charolotte Caxton

Re: Well the profiles are ok and all but not really private enough.

Reply to Alaura Silverfall - view message

Oh, sorry, I thought you were trying to get people to check out a different website. No wonder you didn't include a link! :smileytongue:

Honored Resident
Alaura Silverfall

Reply to Charolotte Caxton - view message

lol 

Spoiler

AS
Dilbert Dilweg

Lol why does this post feel more like a promotional post than a curiosity post

Topics: 15

Web profiles to me were not a good move whatsoever. I know it's handy in some situations but It's not that awful to have to log in to see someone's info IMO. You can actually have a web browser and SL open at the same time.

Privacy is my big thing and I don't believe it's being safeguarded enough with things like web profiles and dashboard information.

I said this before in other topics. When it comes to privacy issues, SL works in backwards fashion. It gives every advantage to people who want to snoop on others and zero to people to protect themselves from that.

Reply to Eileen Fellstein - view message

Eileen Fellstein wrote:

Web profiles to me were not a good move whatsoever. I know it's handy in some situations but It's not that awful to have to log in to see someone's info IMO. You can actually have a web browser and SL open at the same time.

Privacy is my big thing and I don't believe it's being safeguarded enough with things like web profiles and dashboard information.

I said this before in other topics. When it comes to privacy issues, SL works in backwards fashion. It gives every advantage to people who want to snoop on others and zero to people to protect themselves from that.

I totally agree.  If i want to use social media there are plenty of other places to go for that.

I couldn't care less about the SL web profiles.  To me they were a step backward when introduced as it takes them a lot longer to load than the original inworld only profiles. I also didn't like the fact my profile was out there for everyone on the web  to see by default, when they introduced them and i had to opt out after the fact.  To me they add nothing to the SL experience as most of the feeds are boring at best and inane, shallow, and egotistical at worst.

I have everything in mine set at the maximum privacy i can set it to.  I also elect to use the older profile format in my viewer (firestorm) which are much faster loading and give enough information for me to see if I may want to know the person better.  If i'm interested in someone or they are interested in me, then we can talk which is much more rewarding from a social point of view.

There was an article in my local paper recently that said that there is a rapidly expanding worldwide trend of employersnot only googling you and looking at public information on social media sites but demanding as a condition of employment to have the password to all you social media accounts so they can see everything about you when ever they choose  This is outrageous not only because it is an extreme violation of your private life outside of work but this also gives them access to information about your friends and family without their consent.  Anyone that uses social media under these circumstances is crazy.  George Orwell was right.  Big brother is alive and well and watching you and most people are cooperating like mindless sheep.

Photobucket

Reply to Ceka Cianci - view message

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i don't even remember what my profile says or what pictures are on it or anything..thats how much i don't mess with it anymore since they went to these CRAP ones..

before it was like it was in your back pocket and you could add things here and there when you were bored  or do this or that to it..now it's like a big deal to do anything to it anymore..

they suck for me..not sure how much easier they are for others..but they just made me get lazy about even using it as a part of my second life anymore..

Hey LL..the money ? it's being spent on the inside of the grid..not on the outside.................................

This.

And @ OP - I don't understand what you mean by "You really just can not lock down or hide enough here."  People can't see anything at all on your profile if you don't allow them to.  Have you looked at the privacy settings?

But I also don't understand why you'd want to decorate your profile page.  If you want personalisation do it in-world in lots more amazing ways than any crappy social-network is going to give you.  SL's profiles are pointless now they're all about feeds and friends, they had a point when they were about providing a brief profile of yourself.

Occam's Razor (House version): the simplest explanation is invariably ... someone screwed up.

Reply to Amethyst Jetaime - view message

OO, I'd love to see that article Amethyst. I noticed you said local paper. I wouldn't ask you to pinpoint yourself by linking it though. I can oogle my own google and see what I find on it.

You said 'worldwide' so I guess it would depend on country how far they are overstepping bounds if they are requiring that info from people. I'm sure law enforcement/gov would have little trouble accessing that type of stuff anyhow where someone is a suspect in a crime. Amazing that so many people would make a hobby of stacking up evidence against themself. The law doing it is uncomfortable enough but employers? O.O 'I'm sorry buddy. you can shove your job' lol

Closer to home..here in SL, I dialed down those privacy settings the minute it went live. But there are still elements that leave uncomfortable doors open. What people can see from the dashboard mainly and the fact they can access it and even the grid from a mobile device with the right app. This door was always open somewhat as long as I have been here. Simply searching a profile gives an online indicator as long as the avatar is searchable. People can also check any mutual groups usually unless group owner sets the general membership to invisible. Most of this stuff works independantly of the little checkbox blocking a person from seeing you. And...since there's a limit to how many you can check at once, that renders that privacy feature practically worthless.

It wasn't hard to google and since The article is LA times, it's likely been published in many major US papers I would guess. Anyway here. Scary schtuff...

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/28/opinion/la-ed-facebook-passwords-legislation-20120328

Non-issue - first thoughts are backed-up by what the article says and what legislators are doing.  Basically, some employers are complete arses with no respect for their employees (I worked for IBM for a short time but could never finally agree terms & condiftions with them, so left).  Being arses does not make these companies right nor their actions legal.  I would think, in the USA (since this article applies to there) this would be unconstitutional, given the right to 'family life' and all that.

Now it's a separate question as to whether people are prepared to put up with illegal/unethical behaviour from their employers in order to get or keep a job.  If so, there's no-one else to blame.

Occam's Razor (House version): the simplest explanation is invariably ... someone screwed up.

Reply to PeterCanessa Oh - view message

I don't know about blaming per se' but if the person has an unemployment insurance payment on the line, turning down work could disqualify them and they could really have to pay hell to get it back. Either way, it would put them in the very uncomfortable possition of having to decide to turn down a job or comprimise themself morrally.