my.secondlife.com and 'Second Life'

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Many people show up on my.secondlife.com (the feed) without having rezzed an avatar inworld or even downloaded a viewer. Many do not know what is Second Life. 

As we have the ability to restrict our feeds to 'Second Life' would using this restriction block out these individuals?  Or, are they considered part of Second Life just because they have found their way into my.secondlife.com?

Presumably all that SL knows about them is that they have an account, therefore they are fully-accepted residents.

The level of ignorance and the lack of willingness to find out amongst so many people is sad, but that's what comes of making SL a 'social networking system' I suppose.  More twitface, less virtual world :-(

That's a very good question, Venus.  I assumed that if you set your privacy preferences to allow access only to people in Second Life, the only people who can get to your feed should be people who have SL accounts.  That's the understanding I had when I set MY preferences.  I have ignored my.secondlife.com almost completely since then, though, so I couldn't tell you who might have tried to post to it.

Reminds me of a time when I was helping a new Resident. We visited a Sandbox, and the new Resident said affirmatively "so, this is the SL World". That was not the type of impression I had wished to communicate.

I'm almost certian that a few Residents have logged into the Forum, thinking it was SL. This is  a serious problem, and I see the same with my secondlife .

You should have posted this in Discussion. Then we could yak endlessly about it.

in my view they are Second Life residents the moment they open an account, if they never use it, or never go inworld is their choice, but they are part of Second Life.

if we restrict our feed to only the ones who have a Second Life account, they are gonna be able to view it too.

Looks like you got your wish.  Sometime overnight the question was moved to the forum. 

Gee, it would be nice if a Linden could confirm the guesses here.  If someone creates a username and password to enter my.secondlife.com or SLF and never downloads the viewer to enter inworld, they are considered residents?

There are many who have managed to get into my.secondlife.com who have no clue about SL.  Some of them spam posts asking questions.  Some of us redirect them to the Answers Forum.  Yesterday a new 'resident' admitted she was a 10-year-old girl.  Someone AR'ed her however, as of now, her account still shows.

She admitted to being 10.  Makes me wonder how many others who are under the minimum age are getting in.  My.secondlife.com is not moderated like SLF. 

/me shakes her head

Knowl Paine wrote:

I'm almost certian that a few Residents have logged into the Forum, thinking it was SL. This is  a serious problem, and I see the same with
my secondlife

Agre. In recent months there have been more than 20 threads in the Spanisf forum of my group asking "where is SL, what can I do, where is my avatar ...". Of course, in all cases the problem was that they only have account on the website (even the used my.seconlife.com!).

And you have seen this problem many times in Answers forum.

Now this is really interesting and brings to light a few things I hadn't thought about.

Personally I don't pay to much attention to my.SL.  I check the feeds because some old friends from here only post there now.  But it generally doesn't interest me.

Something I hadn't considered was that "New Registrations" does not equal "New Log Ins."  It makes one wonder what percent of New Registrations actually go on to Logging IN.

I am of the school that "what happens in SL stays in SL," so that I have things set to SL only.  At least I think I got them set right.  I think that SL has followed Facebook's example and made it as confusing as possible because they want as much public exposure as they can get without completely pissing off the users.

If you have your feed set to Second Life and not Everyone, those outside SL will not be able to 'see your stuff' (unless it trends).  Those that enter via my.secondlife.com apparently stop at the point where they can download the viewer and rez inworld.  They are not even reading the screen that steps them through the process.  Why should I be surprised when people are in a 'want it NOW' mode and expect to be led by the nose later.

ArthurConan Doyle wrote:

"
never downloads the viewer" - Some folks use viewers other than the Linden one, even from the very beginning.

Yes, true. But those are not the ppl Venus is referring to. I, too, get many messages (at least 1-2 per day) on my profile from new residents that have never heard of a 'viewer' and think that the profile-feed or the forum IS Second Life.

Once pointed to the website to download they seem to get it. It makes me wonder....you go through the whole process and then skip the last part. Why?

Oh well.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Looks like you got your wish.  Sometime overnight the question was moved to the forum. 

Gee, it would be nice if a Linden could confirm the guesses here.  If someone creates a username and password to enter my.secondlife.com or SLF and never downloads the viewer to enter inworld, they are considered residents?

There are many who have managed to get into my.secondlife.com who have no clue about SL.  Some of them spam posts asking questions.  Some of us redirect them to the Answers Forum.  Yesterday a new 'resident' admitted she was a 10-year-old girl.  Someone AR'ed her however, as of now, her account still shows.

She admitted to being 10.  Makes me wonder how many others who are under the minimum age are getting in.  My.secondlife.com is not moderated like SLF. 

/me shakes her head

The Lindens likely have plenty-o-stats regarding the feed.  # of residents who feed daily, time spent feeding, feeders who never go inworld & so on.  They probably think of feeders who never go inworld  as a growing body of potential actual SL users.

I've been thinking feed is moderated like inworld chat -
with the odd problem that you have to come inworld to submit the AR.

Qwal, that is a whole other thing.  I AR'ed two profile photos that were definately Adult and appeared on the feed when the owners commented on some posts.  Nothing happened for weeks.  They may still be there.  I have the same feeling about the young girl.  Yup she is still there:  https://my.secondlife.com/samirafofa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.