Let's talk about this LL Valentine's Day gift......

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4051 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, for those of you who did get the Valentine's Day gift, you may know by now that the gift was 10L's free from Linden Lab... Thoughts and opinions? 

Personally I find it just insulting lol but I do realize that not everyone in SL is making alot of money so for them hopefully this gift was appreciated. :P 

EDIT: I've made a big giant blog post on my website after seeing what you all had to say and it gives my theory on the idea of LL offering bonus lindens, a currency that is not rl money but only play money, much like IMVU does. The idea of people using alts to get extra play money came up tho, and that's a very good point! But, imvu makes it were you can not give another avatar bonus credits, only the normal credits can be given away so anyways here's my post for those who need a good read lol <3

http://angelredcouture.com/2013/02/14/linden-lab-valentines-day-gift/

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is great.

I could name 10 products, that I could buy for a total of 10L$.

A large number of Residents, have -0- L$.

Should those Residents wish to participate in traditional Valentine's Day celebrations, they now have some means to do that.

L$, will not be an excuse, as to why, you cannot get me a gift, lol.

I'm sure there are residents for whom L$10 is a nice little gift, but this seems kinda half-baked.

I mean, it's not particularly theme-appropriate: "Happy Valentine's Day, Honey -- here's a nickel!"

So I wonder if there's more yet to be revealed about this; the day is yet young (at least in California).

(Or maybe something else was planned that eventually proved infeasible. That could end up being the best gift of all time: Lindens eating their own dogfood enough to realize what a piece of crap this Marketplace thing is. Perhaps it would bestir them to actually do something responsible with it, or better, shutter it altogether and let somebody else have a chance.)

Good suggestion.

However, to me, it's not ingratitude at the lack of magnitude of the 10LL offering, but more the lack of any feeling that went into it. If my special someone (if I had one:catfrustrated:) handed me a brown envelope with a 10p piece in it and said 'Happy Valentines' I think I'd feel crestfallen, and justifiably so.

Sending mails to everyone and putting up a blog post with lots of text was hardly worth the effort to send people L$10 as a Valentine's gift. It seems like a cheap trick to get people to log in at least this once to receive their oh-so-well-announced gift, to make their login statistics look better for whatever reason. But instead of actually offering something nice, a pretty card, a heart-shaped box with a bear in it, whatever, you get a L$10 consolation price and nothing else, not even a message that you were gifted. Poor, poor form. Cheap marketing, not a good way to make your residents feel loved and appreciated, Linden Lab.

well its not ingratitude at all but well, how much is 10 l$ ? really ...

ok, so for newbies, maybe... so why didnt they sent their gift to only newbie so...? althought i still consider that its not bec pp are poor that they deserve poor gifts... its insulting often...

Even when i happen to give some money to pp poorer than me, i never give less than 2 euros (and its often a lil more) what is a lot more than 10 l$.

first, i dont see the point for them send a vday gift to everyone (except that it was a trick to make a great traffic yesterday) bec users and LL are not into a romance.

Secondly, really, it would have been better if the gift was an original item, im pretty sure that they have in LL some pp able to create smth...Or they could have deal with a creator and get for a good price an item specially gifted for this occasion, bec for the creator it would have been an awesome advertising so even if the price for the full perm item ( or at least copy/trans) would have been higher than the normal price, i tthink it would still have cost less for LL. Or what about having bought some gorgeous pics to some awesome SL photographers and compiled them in a book sent to everyone... 

Well really this 10 l$ shows obviously the lack of originality they have.. and how many times they put for finding their idea... 

And well, i barely can say thanks while its obvious that the sole purpose of this was a commercial purpose for making a lot of ammounts of loggings yesterday. I guess their stats are so bad since some monthes that they needed quickly a way to increase the amount of pp logging. And no way i can believe they sent to me the gift bec they care me or whatever else.

And of course not to mention the big mess yesterday for at least 8 hours with the DNS error pb...

Eden wrote:

Good suggestion.

However, to me, it's not ingratitude at the lack of magnitude of the 10LL offering, but more the lack of any feeling that went into it. If my special someone (if I had one:catfrustrated:) handed me a brown envelope with a 10p piece in it and said 'Happy Valentines' I think I'd feel crestfallen, and justifiably so.

I think this is a widespreading gesture that benefits everyone slightly, not just those people who have SL related love interests and those celebrating valentines day. LL could have given us a pink and shiny valentines day related object, and I am sure lots of people would have liked it, but the majority of people would have found it useless. A gift with "feeling" or sentiment is only useful to those people caught up in the occasion. Cold hard cash is useful to every single user in SL no matter how small the amount. It's unbiased.

I expect if LL had given out L$100 people would still be complaining about the low cash value as it is less than 50 cents

Porky Gorky wrote:

TDD123 wrote:

Arrow was a freebie. Glad you liked it ... :robottongue:

So who needs 10L anyway ? :robotlol:

How about this mug instead ?

Cupid_Stunt350.jpg

I am pretty sure that is the greatest mug ever created.! :matte-motes-big-grin:

I just received this card from my ex.

exvalentine.jpeg

God I hate this day ... :robotindifferent:

Qie Niangao wrote:

It's US$ 0.04.

In Canada, we round that up to a nickel.  And even at that,
 the only people who stoop to pick up a nickel are children, winos, and those offended by the clutter.

I still think there's more backstory here, or maybe another email pending.

LL gave us this L$10 inworld and not as USD credit on the website, so maybe stop equating a real life USD value to the gift and focus on what that L$10 can buy you in SL rather than RL.

You could get a free texture sound or anim upload or you could buy one of 80000+ items on the MP that cost L$10. There are so many things that a user could spend this L$10 on in SL, yet I suspect there is barely anything that you could spend a nickel on in RL, which is why it seems worthless when equated to RL.

As you say L$10 has a negligible value out in the real world but it does have value here and you are spoilt for choice on how to spend it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4051 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.