Resident
Snoopencil

Bots

[ Edited ]

A few of these have visited my sim,at least I and others think they are bots what I`d like to know is what can these bots do could they be tracking me as my main, the thing is some of the suspected bots I`ve seen out around the grid

Syo Emerald
Topics: 27

Re: Bots

Reply to Snoopencil - view message

Don't be paranoid. Nobody can track you, and nobody would do the effort to create several bots just to annoy you. There were several threads about bots in the past and sometimes nobody knows what they are supposed to do. If they don't harm you or anyone else in the sim...I wouldn't bother.

On the internet nobody knows you are a dog.
Czari Zenovka

*Pulls up a chair and waits for Phil to enter the thread* :smileywink:

"I'm not building a game, I'm building a new country."
~Philip Linden (Second Life: The Official Guide, p. 274)

Resident
Snoopencil

Well somebody has to create them and log them in and out, although the ones that I`m talking about seems to be online 24/7. What use is a bot to anyone??

Thinkerer Melville

I think the most likely thing the bots are doing is creating a report on sims -- checking that the sim is still there and checking the number of people there.  The count is something theyy might want to get every hour.  This info it made available in reports.

TKR

If you don't want them there, ban them.  Just be aware that you probably will have to ban several of them before they stop coming.

Photobucket
Phil Deakins
Topics: 99

Reply to Czari Zenovka - view message

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I'm going to pass on this thread because there's nothing in it to interest me :smileyhappy:

Czari Zenovka

Reply to Phil Deakins - view message

Phil Deakins wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I'm going to pass on this thread because there's nothing in it to interest me :smileyhappy:

Well dangit!  A thread about your favorite topic.

*Sighs, picks up my chair and moves on*

"I'm not building a game, I'm building a new country."
~Philip Linden (Second Life: The Official Guide, p. 274)

Recognized Helper
Marigold Devin

Snoopencil wrote:

A few of these have visited my sim,at least I and others think they are bots what I`d like to know is what can these bots do could they be tracking me as my main, the thing is some of the suspected bots I`ve seen out around the grid

Hiya, Snoopencil

The bots are unlikely to be doing anything that will harm you particularly.  Some are even fun, if they are the type that you can interact with.

chatbot.jpg

There continues to be curiousity as to what some of the other random bots dotted around the grid do, as in this other thread http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Curiouser-and-curiouser/m-p/953465#M1119...  But these just tend to remain in one sim and spam groups that allow advertising.

Other bots that tour the grid are ones that are programmed to take a 360degree photo of a location to add to a website. Others are programmed to snap up parcels of mainland that have been set for sale at a price that is acceptably low to them.

Learning something new every day.

Snoopencil wrote:

What use is a bot to anyone??

There are two ways of programming things for SL.  Within SL itself you can write a script using LSL, which is how objects that 'do something' (eg; doors, vendors, vehicles, etc.) are made.  LSL has some limitations, however, that an avatar does not.  For instance, a script can't issue a join invitation for a closed group.  An object, and therefore the script inside it, can't have money either, only the owning avatar/group.

Which leads to the other way of programming - create an avatar as normal then write/use a programme on your own computer to operate it for you.  This IS a bot (and they should be marked as such in their profiles IIRC).  There are two immediate uses from what I've put above - use them to control group invitations and for accounting.  24/7.  Just remember to leave your computer on :-)

Occam's Razor (House version): the simplest explanation is invariably ... someone screwed up.