Privacy Blinds

Cerebrogasm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!

I have a Second Life house, as part of my subscription. I added the privacy panels over all of the windows, but the glass doors are still open to remote camera spying.

It's creepy to lay on my (my avatar's) bed with a bunch of crosshairs (and user-names) hovering over my avatar. 

Is there any vendor that sells - or any setting I can use in the Firestorm SL browser - that will prevent cameras from sneaking in to spy?

Thanks!

James

Thanks for the reply!

I de-selected the check box. I am guessing they can't track me from reomote land parcels now.

Do you know of anyway I can establish pivacy from all voyeurs using cams (on my parcel) to view my avatar in my house? 

They are coming through the door, which is made of glass.

Thanks again,

James

No, they're not coming through the door. You can cam through walls in SL just as easily as you can through doors. They can cam through the privacy panels on your windows, too, as a matter of fact.

You can get a security orb, or put up ban lines. Neither, as far as I read, is forbidden to Linden home owners. Ban lines are effective, but unattractive. If you go with a security orb - usually one prim, and able to be made invisible - you'll need a security orb with an adjustable radius that you can set very small. Linden homes aren't very big. 

Either of those things will prevent anyone else from coming onto your property, and with the option to view avatars on your parcel turned OFF, they won't be able to see you from off your property, so you're covered. Be aware that there is nothing that will prevent anyone from seeing inside your home, just from seeing you. 

Door and windows and walls are completely meaningless - cameras and even avatars can move right through if they want to.

You can move your camera to every spot in the whole sim and the neighbour sims. You need to uncheck the parcel setting: "Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel". Then they still can cam in and see your bed but not your avatar on the bed. So they will see an empty bed. That works 2 way btw. So if you cant see them they cant see you. Try it out.

If someone steps on your parcel they can of course see you. For that you need a security device that will kick everybody out that is not on your guest list.

Why you have the crosshairs visible if they scare you? Switch that nonsense off. Is it possible that you confuse your RL person and your avatar? Your avatar are just a few pixels, so why care?

However if you want complete privacy in SL you need to buy an island (no neighbour sims) and lock it. Besides of that there is no privacy in SL.

It's just a fact of 3D virtual worlds like SL, privacy is an illusion. The best answer is the first reply, suggesting you un-tick the box allowing others to see avatars on your parcel, however another thing you can do is create a skybox and live in that. You can even put a teleporter where the entrance to your house is so when you enter your house, you're teleported to your skybox.

Penny Patton wrote:

It's just a fact of 3D virtual worlds like SL, privacy is an illusion. The best answer is the first reply, suggesting you un-tick the box allowing others to see avatars on your parcel, however another thing you can do is create a skybox and live in that. You can even put a teleporter where the entrance to your house is so when you enter your house, you're teleported to your skybox.

Good idea, but not an option for her. She said she lives in a Linden Home and Linden Home owners aren't allowed to place skyboxes there.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Good idea, but not an option for her. She said she lives in a Linden Home and Linden Home owners aren't allowed to place skyboxes there.

Except camming into a skybox is just as easy as camming into a house on the ground. With Firestorm, right-click on green dot on minimap or find the name in the radar list, select "Cam" and there he/she is.

I ocne got an IM from a guy who had cammed in on my avatar from 11 sims away and wanted to say hello.

Getting privacy in SL is not all that hard actually.

I have always put up a nice looking 'garden' or ground lot on my land - that attracts the eyes of people... and then a skybox up above 3000m.

I put the skybox inside of a solid box sized to the size of my land, and a security orb in the center set to 0-seconds, TP Home, and the exact dimensions of the SOLID box.

- No one has a reason being inside of a box up in the sky so no warning is called for. Its solid so if someone happens to be flying at that height they just bounce off of it.

The important part though is at ground. The 'attractive distraction' keeps people from caring about camming for thousands of meters to bug me... especially if I also turn off the ability for people outside the land to see avatars inside.

Note that you are not allowed to use skyboxes on 'linden homes' so this tactic is only good for mainland and rental estates.

I very rarely get bothered on my own land. My security orb ejects about one to two people per YEAR. My visitor scripts register people every so often at ground, but almost never up high.

Its just about giving the curious something to look at other than you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.