Newer system avi has black around the eyes? Is there a way to get rid of it?

MysticRose1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Returning to SL and I went with the system avi as I like to customize my avi as I want etc.  Anyways, for whatever reason, there is what looks like black eyeliner around the eyes. It's not a tattoo layer or anything. It's like a default. I can't find any way to get rid of it. Putting make up tattoo's over it still shows the shadow of it beneath. Added a gyazo picture link so you can see. I've tried different skins as well and it's still there.  Would love to get rid of it. Just can't figure out how.

https://gyazo.com/ef6245a141ad32da68a7352f0a7d54ca

Thanks!

Mystic

it can be so many things... could be attached to your eyes... baked on skin ( if you use one skinline/pack, it could be standard on all) .... mesh body and applied it?...

if you really want to find, go to character test and add everything step by step ... as soon it appears you will know what part it is.

I have an older skin, one of the things I like about it is its not black around the eyes. I tried to look for an updated skin, one with appliers, but every where I look they all have black eyes. I think its really ugly and its everywhere. As a makeup option it would be nice, but to not be able to get away from it is unfortunate. I will be sticking with my old skin, but that's not a problem because it still looks good, and after looking at demo after demo of the mesh avatars they present more problems than they fix, so I don't need appliers. Good luck finding a skin, because that is where the black is coming from IMO.

I sympathize with the original poster. I have the same problem and wear sunglasses all the time. It is very annoying.
And, as far as going "bald" is concerned, I have found no way of doing it. I have used both a bald base from MP (before I realised that the technique was available in game anyway) and created one myself. When reducing volume (as is always the method specified) all it does is disappear into my head and the old hair base is still visible. I bought some lovely hair to wear and it did come with its own hair base but unfortunately its shape isn't adequate to cover my existing base.

All system hair/bald bases/eyebrow shapers (these are all the exact same thing) are the same size.  To make a new totally bald base all you need to do is go to your inventory and right click, New body part, New hair.  Wear the new bald base and set all the hair sliders to zero.  You can only wear one bald base at a time, so there is no possiblility of a new one 'not hiding an old one'.  

There are also tattoo layer hair bases for using with specific hair attachments like pony tails or buns, or styles where the hairline should show.  These are NOT bald bases/system hair/eyebrow shapers.  If you wear a mesh head you can get hair base appliers and there are usually a few options for this included in the HUD that comes with the mesh head.

If you wear a mesh head your bald base/system hair/eyebrow shaper is completely irrelevant.

RE the OP.  You are wearing a classic default avatar and that blackness around the eyes is part of the skin. You can cover it with tattoo layer makeup, but that's an old skin and you'd be better off shopping for a newer skin with a bare option.

Sorry your explanation (for the hair) is what everyone says and it does not work. I have what is essentially a new avatar (well, that is what it said when I joined a couple of weeks ago) and it is (appears to be) impossible to "remove" my existing hair base. Setting the sliders to zero does nothing. In fact, you can tell straight away that it does nothing because when you move the volume slider to zero it disappears completely and leaves the original hair base showing.

I have already said that I have tried mp bald base, that didn't work, attempted to create my own, that doesn't work, I have an A&A hair that comes with a "bald base" which does nothing and I have received a hair base with another expensive hair but its shape is insufficient to cover my base completely.

If you are still using the avi that you picked when you joined SL, then I believe there is a hairbase baked right onto the skin. Try finding a new skin. You can get free demos, or group gifts, or as I believe someone mentioned, there are stores that give skins to new avis. The starter avi has makeup, hairbase, and even underwear baked on, you cannot remove them. Most skins don't, they let you add your own. 

A 'hairbase' is NOT the same as the system hair/bald base/eyebrow shaper.

There are 4 items in sl that can NOT be removed, only replaced.  They are: shape, skin, eyes and system hair.

System hair is the only one that has alternate names.

If you are seeing a hairbase then it is either: a tattoo layer or an effect baked into the skin you are wearing or a mesh head hair base layer.

So, as I said, ALL system hair/bald caps/eyebrow shapers are the EXACT SAME size.  

As you are probably using a default sl avatar not a mesh one, here is how to solve your issue.  Take off your hair and all tattoo layers.  Change your skin to one that doesn't have a baked on hair base.  You can find several free skins on marketplace to check this.

I understand that sl can be a steep learning curve, but there's a reason why this is what 'everyone says'. It's correct.

It is obviously not correct if the hair base is baked on.

So, essentially, I cannot change it or get rid of it, I have to choose a different avatar or buy a skin to cover it.

Thanks to UncommonTruth for giving the relevant answer, albeit a ridiculous restriction.

(and, I have bought hair that came with a hair base but, unfortunately, it was not cut the same as my hair base, which still shows, and the manufacturer obviously doesn't understand UncommonTruth's explanation as they keep persisting with this same idea that I can take it off).

<sigh>  No.  What I told you is completely correct.  You could possibly cover a 'painted on the skin hair base' by using a tattoo layer hair base, because this would be on the tattoo layer over the skin.  However, you are confusing different things.  Some skins have hair painted onto the skin, but this isn't system hair/ eyebrow shaper.   We now only use the system hair to adjust the eyebrows on the classic sl avatar. Pretty much no one wears system hair with any of the hair showing anymore, and if we do it doesn't look anything like a hair base.

Some of the starter skins have the hair base baked into the skin, and no, you can't get rid of it, anymore than you can change the skin in other ways, like adding wrinkles to the face.  These starter skins are just that, free starter skins that it is expected you will use for a little while before trading up.

So, you are critizising the hair maker quite wrongly, as they obviously thought you were more sl savvy than you are.  They assumed that you were ,as you claimed to be, wearing a separate hair base (a tattoo layer) which of course you could remove.  As the hair is painted onto the skin you cannot.  You are wearing system hair, of course, as we all are, but when the sliders are set to zero it is effectively invisible.

When you buy a skin without painted on hair you will be replacing the skin you are wearing now, not covering it.

How is having to replace the starter skin a ridiculous restriction?  SL expects the residents to engage with the world, and customising one's avatar is part of that.  Surely you don't expect SL to provide everything you could want. do you?

<sigh> ? Lol!

I probably "engage with the world" a lot more than many others. More than most of those that I have met online so far.

Anyone is open to criticism anywhere, let alone in this game, as you have demonstrated by criticizing me.

Anyway, I have the map for a hair base now so, when I get the time, I will modify it so that it covers my existing base hair completely.

You aren't wearing a hair base.

The hair you see is painted onto the skin that you are wearing.

No system hair/bald cap/eyebrow shaper will cover that.  They are invisible unless you set the hair sliders to more than zero. No one does that these days.

The only map for a hair base is the head part of the avatar skin texture.

If you make a tattoo layer hair base using the UV head map it might completely hide the painted on hair on your skin, however unless you are very skilled in photoshop or gimp you might end up with a rather strange looking head. 

I'm not criticising you, I'm giving you correct information.

You do seem strangely reluctant to give up your free starter skin.

You do know that a lot of hair shops give away free hair base tattoos which would indeed cover the painted on hair on your skin, right?

OK, not saying you did it.... but this looks like it could be a stolen skin (ripped from the game). Those often have a hairbase and make up baked in as the person that ripped it did not take the effort to take of those layers. A few yrs back you came across a lot of these stolen skins, they were all around, some are still on the MP. 

Where did you get the skins? 

If this is not the case... have you tried playing with some light settings, like adjust daytime or test some Windlight settings? It could be shadows, as the light isn't kind to the SL standard avatar in general. Do have a try adjusting the face sliders (eyes, cheekbones etc, make sure to save your shape before you start to be safe) That combined with some fiddling with the lights might at least exclude some things that could be causing you to look like this?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.