Thought's on MTV's Catfish wanting SL stories

AnnaMarie Ragu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Eta: Sorry jo, I musta hit the wrong reply button, wasn't directed just to you, lol. :D

I'd love to see more of the happy ending stories on things like this too, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Kinda funny, because who doesn't love a happy ending? No, I don't mean THAT happy ending :P

Happy doesn't sell nearly as well as unhappy. That's the bottom line.

Hubby and I met online years ago. Not in sl, but in an online game. I have no issues shouting from the rooftops how happy we truly are, how blessed, how absolutely in love I am with this man, how he's changed my life and the lives of my kiddos. But I wouldn't want to go on tv to do it. It's just not appealing to me. I also have kiddos to consider, and a family, as does he. Not so sure I'd want to trump their right to not feel all weird-like because someone wanted to know if the cyber nookie was really that stupendous we couldn't keep our virtual hands out of each other's virtual pants. Because those shows, the people who write about online relationships taken offline and such, don't really care about the warm gooey feelings true love brings. No, I don't mean THAT warm gooey, either :P Gutterminds... They don't much care about the man living thousands of miles away taking on the responsibility of father to your children when theirs walked away. They don't want to know about the woman there to comfort you as you try to make heads or tails of why the person you thought loved you more than anything could possibly cheat on you. They don't want to know about the friends for years holding back true feelings so as to not hurt one another, but deep inside knowing it was fate and always meant to be. They don't want to know about the chance meetings in a crowded webspace, virtual eyes meet and virtual hearts practically beating out of your virtual chests. They don't want to hear about the couples who meet, stay friends for years before ever meeting offline, falling in love, creating a family, and being together until their dying days. They don't want the feel good stories. They want the dirty, the kinky, the weird, the (to them) abnormal, the relationships that don't work out, the liars, the cheaters, they want to know about the cybersex, they want to know how you manage pulling it off..and I do mean off.. and so on and so forth. They want to know all about the things everyone else warns you about when you tell them you met someone...online. Those things create ratings, and profit. Happy stuff, not so much. Stupid, imo. Drama sells!

There are people who care about the happily ever afters, the prince charming finds his princess, the true love meant to be and other such stories, though. They just aren't the ones in charge of making these shows, books, websites and stuff. I find people like that all the time in sl. Not nearly as often outside of sl, but they are still there. I'd probably find more of them if I spent more time out of sl looking, lol. Most people who, like me, found their happily ever after, may be willing to shout it from the rooftops. It doesn't mean they're willing to let someone basically put them on trial in front of the world to do it, though. All kinds of reasons why, I'm sure.

A pretty large percentage of married couples met online, but this show is not about "how we met".

It is specifically about people who have an online relationship, and one wants to take it to RL, but there seem to be a number of obstacles to doing that. Pretty suspicious obstacles if you ask me, but love puts ppl in denial I suppose.

How often have you seen something on tv about a couple who met via the internet and who's lovestory had a happy ending?

Nice people, the kind the average tv viewer would clasify as normal, who met, fell in love and lived happily after?

And how many stories have you seen where you as a viewer can judge the people in the item as weirdos, geeks, freaks, sad people, socially isolated, who do silly and weird things on the internet, stuff everyone else can laugh at, who then are silly enough to believe that the person they are talking to really is a pretty young charming highly educated cheerleader or handsome young lawyer...

Oh and how we laugh and poke fun of them when they finally meet in front of the camera and we can all laugh at them when they can't manage to hide their disapointment.

How often do you see the first story on tv and how often the second?

And what do you think tv people think is more entertaining and gets more viewers?

I work in the tv business and am an official village idiot who gets to be mentioned in newspapers and on tv now and then, the media is a tricky game.

I wouldn't play it if I didn't have much media experience.

So if you're considering playing this game... make sure you know the rules and only play it if you think you can win it.

If you lose, you lose a lot and so does SL.

Pamela Galli wrote:

A pretty large percentage of married couples met online, but this show is not about "how we met".

It is specifically about people who have an online relationship, and one wants to take it to RL, but there seem to be a number of obstacles to doing that.
Pretty suspicious obstacles if you ask me, but love puts ppl in denial I suppose

That's kinda part of my point, the bolded I mean. This show wouldn't be one that would show the people who didn't have obstacles people found odd, or suspicious. It wouldn't show a couple who wasn't in denial. It wouldn't likely get them nearly as many ratings to show success stories as it does non success stories. Not that they wouldn't ever show any, I'm sure some might crop up in here and there, They wouldn't be the norm though. Not just this show either, but this type of thing pops up all the time. Shows, websites, magazine articles, books, all that kinda stuff. You don't see nearly as many happy warm gooey feeling stories as you see the it all went to hell when we tried to work it out in rl, kinds. They're just not nearly as interesting to people I guess.

I kinda like both. I can't help but laugh and think about the failed stories, though I also sometimes feel sorry for the people involved. I'm a lover, not a fighter, I have way too much empathy for my own good. I too can spot the, that was never going to work out anyway, stories. We've all heard them, we;ve all seen them. But then I like thinking about the non failed ones too. Because those make my lil heart go pitter pat, and I love that feeling. I know it well. It speaks to me, on a personal level, I guess, lol.

I'd much rather see more of the good kind. But it won't happen, because they aren't as popular with the general public, I don't think. Theyre not as juicey, they're not as interesting and they're certainly not as funny, usually. So us happily ever after folks get a bad rap too, because shows like this and media in general, tend to give people the impression that what we've got is rarely possible. It is possible, but it takes way more work to make something like we've got come to fruition than it does to get yourself in a failed online to real world relationship. That one's pretty easy to accomplish it seems.

I know, I talk way too much, to often say very little,  lol :D

The thing is, if there are no suspicious obstacles to meeting in RL, people will just meet in RL without the assistance from a TV show.

I see this show as a warning to everyone looking for love on the Internet: perfectly nice people do lie.

Pamela Galli wrote:

The thing is, if there are no suspicious obstacles to meeting in RL, people will just meet in RL without the assistance from a TV show.

I see this show as a warning to everyone looking for love on the Internet: perfectly nice people do lie.

It could be a warning, true, but that's not it's intended purpose, imo, and I doubt it actually is one to much of anyone. Mtv doesn't do stuff like this show to warn people, or to show much of anything other than drama. If it's not drama related, it's not real enough for them, lol. I don't blame them, real doesn't give them ratings. The show would tank if it only had success stories on it. Maybe not on some other network, but def. on Mtv. Warnings are a good thing, and people should be cautious, I def. agree with that 100%. People aren't as careful with their lives as they should be, imo. Just doubt this show serves that purpose. I could easily see this show having the opposite effect, though. Givine people something to laugh about and whatnot, and believe couldn't possibly be the norm. That's how a lot of shows on that network are, lol.

But I don't think perfectly nice people lie, lol. There is a reason why people wouldn't offer the whole life story all at once, but I don't necessarily consider that lying. Perfectly nice people also don't throw their entire life story at you the moment you meet. I never see much point in lying though. So, just a difference of opinion I guess. I could prob. go on all day about that, and prob. shouldn't, since it has nothing to do with the topic, lol.

1) As I said, I see it as a warning to the naive -- regardless of how the creators see it.  I believe that is how it will be taken by many.

2) Those who say to themselves "He is nice, therefore he can't be lying." I would guess to be... young. :-)

Pamela Galli wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

On the general idea of the topic: I would never wish to be on a reality Tv show. The entire industry is built around schadenfreude.

One can only assume either they are being paid or have a chance of scoring big. 

They're always being paid ;)

Even the shows 16 and pregnant and teen mom that mtv has and proclaims are there to empower the youth of today and inform them of the trials and tribulations of teen parenting...pay those people and they glamorize every little aspect of it. They do little to nothing to inform and in fact do the exact opposite.

That's exactly why I said this catfish show, will do the same. It's how they present it. It's the entire reason they have it. It's not there to be informative. No reality tv is, lol. It's intended purpose is entertainment. That's exactly what most will get out of it, even if it wasn't the creator's intent. Few people want an informative show these days, especially from a network like mtv, lol. They're not watching it so they can learn something. Not to mention most of the audience for that network probably is pretty young. Their demographic is not the over 40 crowd, or even the over 30 crowd.

Melita Magic wrote:

On the general idea of the topic: I would never wish to be on a reality Tv show. The entire industry is built around schadenfreude.

In this we are in complete agreement. Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes. That's the main reason I don't and won't watch those programs, any of them.

The secondary reason is that calling them 'reality' is total bs. Point a camera at someone who grew up with television and they'll start acting. Guaranteed. Help them along with some suggestions and what to you get? Unpaid/poorly paid actors working with a bad plot. AKA Reality Television.

MTV only want you for you drama's..

just like the last time they did a show on this place..only it will be 100 times worse this time since there are so many of these shows now..

they want to spark another jersey shore thing..

they need to change the name to DQTV..

i never see music on that station..

I met my parnter,boyfriend in Second Life right back in the beginning of 2009..We got married in Dec 2009 and been together ever since. We have took our relationship to Real Life and met up a couple of times now with him staying with me for over a week a month ago. 

Our relationship went from friendship and built slowly over time and we are not rushing to get anywhere. We know we love each other and spend most of our online time together. 

Would I share this with a reality TV show on MTV....no.. They are the more salacious of channels who look to create drama and negativity about anythiing positive. Reality TV is just not something I am interested in. It is mainly scripted trash.. something I would never involve myself or my partner in. 

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I dont ssee it being a bad idea me and my sl wife have been together on sl for almsot 2 years.. we met when i was a noobie but nothing was purced till 6 months later.. we are now together in rl and its going strong.. i believe be yourself in sl and rl will work out for everyone they should do it for sure 

KillerSp3nc3r wrote:

I dont ssee it being a bad idea me and my sl wife have been together on sl for almsot 2 years.. we met when i was a noobie but nothing was purced till 6 months later.. we are now together in rl and its going strong.. i believe be yourself in sl and rl will work out for everyone they should do it for sure 

So, were you the catfish or was that your wife?

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.