How far back?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Let's say you took a few weeks off from SL and the forums. Do you read all the new posts since you left? How far back do you go? Do you go past the first page? 

How old does a thread have to be where it's off limits for you to reply?

Why do people resurrect really old threads?

Bree Giffen wrote:

... Why do people resurrect really old threads?

Some of the technical forum threads can have months-long gaps between meaningful updates. I started one back in November and it's mostly dormant while we wait for more clues about what the heck is happening. I can well imagine it gathering dust for a year or more, then becoming relevant again (perhaps one fine day when all the alpha textures on the grid simultaneously turn opaque!).

On the other hand, here on General Discussion, the half-life of a thread's relevance is usually just a few days. And yet... when you think about it, most of the new threads here are just like the old ones, so it's sort of arbitrary whether to start fresh or necro an old thread.

I often spend weeks away from the forums, sometimes months even.

I do like to go back and read threads, regardless of when they were made, if they seem interesting enough to me. I have gone back to threads created even years ago, if it seems interesting enough, though I won't resurrect them. Sometimes I can gain a lot of insight on topics of interest just by going back and reading through others' threads. For instance in the creation type area(yeah I forgot the name of that area). I particularly enjoy reading them, because I can learn from them, and in most cases, I can learn form people a hell of a lot smarter than I, as well as people a hell of a lot dumber than I-it's a win-win for me in either case. I can figure out what to do, what not to do, and how to go about figuring out things that I still might not understand, without even having to participate in the discussion. I'm a fan of doing precisely that.  That said, I do the same thing with, wel, almost everything I learn, research, and explore. I go find topics, regardless of age, on various different websites/forums/message/boards/blogs, whatever have you, and I read. I read until I understand. 

I also read threads for pure entertainment value, and the occasional facepalm, which can help keep one grounded, i find.

I'm an odd duck though. I don't participate nearly as often as I used to, but when I've got the time, I do enjoy a good forum read session, for all kinds of reasons. I read as time, and interest, allows. You can learn quite a bit about people just by reading the forums, without ever having to participate :)

(and people don't like my long posts anyway...so I don't, since I can't be brief and concise to save my life, sometimes)

I don't read all the posts on my best days ;)  I tend to pick a few recent ones that look interesting.

If I have been gone a week or more, I may read posts from the last 24 hours or so.  Usually I "Mark all as read" and go from there..  If it pops back up, I'll read it.

I don't remember the last time I scrolled past the first page here.

I do not normally go back past 3 days, tops.  Even that is a "business" mentality that Friday PM is 1 second away from Monday AM.

Finally, I do not know why other people make their choices.  I have my speculations but that is all they are.

I have a bookmark of here, the General Discussion area, it always show me the first page so here is where I start, I open tabs of the last comment that was made in the new threads I find and on the threads that I saw last time that I find interesting to see how the conversation has developed, and maybe answer some comments that were made to me.

I can go to the second page to look for a thread that was interesting and see to where the discussion went, If i consider it important or essential to know.

I don't really have the rule to not profane the necro threads, I could bring them back from their tombs if I feel I can add something to it, for me, as long as they are unlocked, they could still come back to life.

people resurrect them because they don't have the idea of necro threads, they search for a thread that has what they were thinking about and add to it, instead of creating a new one about exactly the same topic, I actually think that is better they do that, they can find in the previous posts the information they were wondering about.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.