Firestorm New Release 4.0.1 (27000)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Malk Landsmann wrote:

4.0.1 crashes do desktop in 10-20 seconds after logging in

this is crazy, I can't get online at all!

Everything was perfect with FS3

I don't know what they did but it's unplayable. 

I have Win7 x64

did you do a clean manual uninstal of your older viewer before installing the new one?

that can have some  impact on a viewer in a lot of cases..

ETA: i looked at the download page and this is what it says at the top before the downloads

IMPORTANT!! Install this build as a CLEAN INSTALL

Hi ibe tried just about everything except reformating my hard drive to get 4.0.1 to load the log i screen. When i launch it i get a half blank screen with no log in . I also installed the new phoenix which is working fine. Why isnt firestorm working i used the previous version of FS and it worked fine also. I unistalled all versions of SL too except Phenoix just so i can get online Radeon 3100 graphics . Im totally baffled even did a whitelist for my advast and that qasnt the problem either ... Any help never had this problem before with other versions :( i love my FS thanks

I'm having nothing but trouble with this latest version. The previous one worked flawless. I've done a clean uninstall of the previous version, installed the latest one, but it doesn't help. I can log in, but it takes a really long time, and then it says "You have been logged out of Second Life. This region may be experiencing trouble. Please check your connection to the internet." My internet connection is 100% fine. If I log in using the RLV viewer, there's no problem. So it's a Firestorm issue. I'm so frustrated, I think I'm gonna explode soon. I should never have updated. Grrrr

Thanks Dres :smileyhappy: It turned out that I needed to delete open_notifications.xml or something.. apparantly my computer couldn't handle all those notifications. I must be too popular... or too unpopular :smileywink:

I stopped using Firestorm when the official V3 came out, because the official viewer was giving me a better framerate. I tried this new version of Firestorm today and the framerate is back up to my usual 35-40, AND in-world textures rez faster. so I think I will be sticking with Firestorm at least for a while.

After using the new Firestorm now for a couple of days I have to say that it looks nice, the framerate is exactly the same as before, but:

it crashes at least once a day
the blue pop up windows tend to move out of my screen

That notifications don't pop up on my screen but only in the little box that looks like a letter is probably some setting I didn't find yet.

Better looks, same performance, but less stable than the previous version.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I've been having problems as well. the version before worked perfect! It was rare if I crashed. I uninstalled the previous one, tried logging in on the different log in options ( Phoenix, Firestrom and hybrid) and can't move! If I do move, I got through walls, the floor, get stuck in walls, it's just driving me nuts! Guess for now I'll get the RLV viewer cause I'm about to explode from all of this crap :matte-motes-sour: Wish I NEVER updated Firestorm.

And because I did read some of the other posts I'll say this. Where is the in-world team I can talk to @ Dres

Well, the new version of FS (4.4.0) is running great for me.  

Last week I was comparing the current LL V 3.5.0 viewer and the 3.x version of FS.  For me, performance in a crowded sim is important, so I go to several such places, get the graphics prefs set the same, and watch my frame rate.  I was surprised that I was getting ~ 20 - 25  fps with FS and 30 - 35 fps with LL, even with defered graphics and shadows enabled.  A year ago, with the same hardware, I could never get more than about 10 fps if there were more than 10 AVs in the room, so something good must have happened with the constant stream of tweaks LL is making to the server and client code.  I was a bit surprised that the V3 LL viewer was substantially faster than FS, but LL updates the client every month or so, while FS updates at much longer intervals.  

Yesterday and today, I looked at FS 4.4.0 and the LLviewer.  They both work very well, I really cannot see much difference in framerates between them.       Ooops. the slider slipped!  With both viewers actually set to highest graphic level, the LL viewer has a clear performance edge, and the newest version of FS is not obvioulsy different than its replacement.

It's too bad that the improvements are so dependent on the hardware you are running.

Welcome to the forums, Sven. 

Before you do anything, did you do a clean install?  If not, then reinstall it using the instructions at this link.  If that doesn't help then contact the support group.  Here's the link: Firestorm Support English.

Group chat may be a bit difficult to get into atm, but keep trying and you eventually will.  When you do, ask your question and if you don't get a reply in a little while, ask again.  Be patient, they are very busy right now.

Good luck ...Dres

Mmm, I like it so far. The interface looks prettty much the same, I logged right in with shadows on, only thing I did was to set draw distance to 32 before I logged in. 

After reading some about it, I was expecting horror or satisfaction, and it was satisfaction here. All looked familar (I have used Firestorm interface for years, no Phoenix interface) my avatar loaded like a snap, I opened my very unorganized inventory of 38 000 and it loaded fully in 30 seconds or so. I never, never had that happen before. I teleported to the fantasy faire, the Titan Hollows sim. All looked fine. No greyness, no lag. I tried to push draw distance up and up, noticed no difference in performance as the gorgeous sim appeared. 

I wonder why user experience is so different too. New laptop with a Nvidia card probably has a lot to say, even if it's not a gamer. The laptop pad with cooler too... 

I love the new version of Firestorm.  I get better frame rates than the prior version and zero packet loss, even when I went to the Truth Hair sale today where the sim was at capacity..  I also love some of the new features they've added which I find very useful. The customizable quick set preferences rock.  Between the new ones and the ones that were there in prior versions, if I ever had to go back to SLV3 I'd feel handicapped..

I installed and gave it a brief run today.  Everything looked good and a slight improvement in frame rate.

I was hoping it would have cured the "missing prim issue" but it appears that is still waiting for the base code for the viewer from LL to catch up with the server code.   Re: Missing Prims.

I especially like that quick preferences are customizable.  I just wish I could add things from the debug settings that aren't in the main preference window.  Maybe in the future.

Basically I found the upgrade to be seamless.

• 7 months later...

Sub Fuchs wrote:

Hi

Ok, so in the new FS release, i seem to have encountered a problem. I cant take off RLV. When i goto prefs/firestorm/uncheck RLV, then relog, it re-checks itself. Any ideas?

Have you tried doing it without logging in?

You don't need to be logged in to change this.  It only requires you restart the viewer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.