New ideas about water sky and avatars in second life how things should be by default.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4327 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First off lets talk about avatars. I think That sl should make it So That by default Your avatar can bleed. That could be a lot of fun on damage enabled Sims. That Your a v would also be able to heal like in RL by default. Your a v could get hacked to peaces on damage enabled Sims   then get sent home and be all back in one peace again. So That is one interesting idea another is about the sky in RL if you fly to high you'll eventually hit outer space. I think  by default sl should make it That way too and have all the properties of space as well once you get there like you float and all That good stuff and lets talk about the water in RL when you fall in water there is a splash and you will auto maticaly float and you can swim  and when you get out of the water Your hair is wet Your whole body and clothes are soacked So I think by default sl should make the water That way. I know some like to build in the water but you could have an option So people can turn the default water option off if they want like with typing . I don't know if this is the right place to be posting these ideas here but I hope sl will take them into consideration

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bleeding and water slash sounds and swimming are already things that users have made and sell in SL.

As for the outer space idea, yes that would be fairly easy for SL to do say after 5000m up the sky turns black and some stars appear in the distant. However I would have to agree adding the floating physics would be a variable adjustment to take on after SL has fixed the crashes, message/notice system, textures, land textures, transparencies, glow, shine and the sky first.

How about they update the default avatar mesh first? Have you seen how horrible the upper body, crotch, buttocks and feet look? Not to mention that valley in the middle of the ladies' chests. These areas in particular need some serious love.

A fundamental update of the avatar mesh, along with fixing other basics like teleports, group chat, border crossings, etc. should be taken on before the OP's suggestions, IMO.

Most of what you say would be great........if Second Life was a game.  It isn't though so those ideas defeat the purpose of what LL designed the platform for in the first place.  LL wants the users to create all those things for themselves...........which many users have done.  If you want avatars to "bleed" when stabbed or sliced with a sword or shot with a bullet, then you can do that with scripts.......but it would be up to you to do that (the platform has the tools for you to create pretty much anything you want to create).  That's what make SL what it is..........a user created world and not a developer created world. 

I know I wouldn't have stuck around as long as I've stuck if everything was "enabled" by default to be some game.  You want SL to be a game, then make it a game for yourself........don't force it on me and others.

I'll vote for a better avatar mesh.  But I'm realistic enough to know that in order to do that many (if not most) of the clothing, hair and skins in SL would suddenly be "obsolete"..........that's not a wise road to go, in my opinion.  I'm sure someday someone will come up with a virtual world with better avatat mesh and still have the same major qualities of SL with user created content..........but, until then, I don't see a new avatar mesh on the horizon.  Will LL be the ones to produce that grid?  Maybe, but they would have to build it from the ground up and it would be a totally disconnected grid from the present SL.

the sky to outer space is not really that feasable any more than making all of SL on a globe rather than a flat plane (if it WERE feasable it would be cool but as of right now that's just how 3D worlds work) 

wet hair, this is what I use 

for bleeding I use the Bite object that comes with the Bloodlines HUD but I'm sure lots of people will suggest something better LOL

for swimming this is still the best I've found and I have like 4 or 5 different swim huds

I personally wouldn't want an avatar that bleeds etc, or have to worry about health or anything like it and don't know anyone that would.   Maybe some role players would, but that is just a minority segment of the community.  SL is way more than just about combat roleplay.  If the majority of residents were into this, combat sims would be everywhere after all.  This is more a project for content creators than LL.  I'm sure in the future a creator will make mesh avatars that have these features.

Space would be nice, but right now the limit you can go is 4096m above the ground.  I'd only want space to be added above that level because up to that height many people use the sky for regular skyboxes.

Since most of what you wear is created by other users, and to make it wet would involve altering all those textures, it would be very difficult to do without their cooperation.  There is hair that gets wet in water already.  You can also buy wet clothes to switch to if you want to look wet.  You can even buy a skin overlay that makes your skin look wet, with beading water and drips.

I agree with the other posters though, that LL should fix problems first before ANY new features are introduced.

first of all to the one who made the comment about the one who said if ll did my idia it would make it a game instaed of what it is i do'nt want it to be just a game and what i said they could do and still keep it what it is a vurtial world platform. i did not know the trick about the water. yes users have made thing to alter stuff true but think of it this way you do'nt want it to be a game and your right it is not. like in rl do people in rl? creat things to make your clothes drip or your skin after you get out of the shower?  so why should sl be any diffrent. it is more torwds rl right? and in rl dose anyone creat huds to make you bleed? it's life. sl to an extent is life too so it should not be treated any diffrently. i mean yes users can creat other things but sl should just take care of the main thing like the problems you all mentionned and the sl envionment. the outer space thing i think is feesable maybe not right now but ll i belieave could find away. and i'm not talking about just your avatar bleeding if it gets hurt i'm talking about like say you have someone who is pissing you off really bad like a greifer sure you can use spell huds to battle them and all but would'nt it be great if you could hit them with something and they explode i mean blood and guts everywhere and what it dose is dose not kill them of course cause you can't die in sl that is a good thing but it sends them home and by that time they are all in one peace again. but this idia would be good and i know no users have even created anything close to this yet. but it would be good being able to do something like that or even drowning a greifer cause the humiliation on their part well it would cut down on greifers i think.

DYNASTY Clip wrote:

first of all to the one who made the comment about the one who said if ll did my idia it would make it a game instaed of what it is i do'nt want it to be just a game and what i said they could do and still keep it what it is a vurtial world platform. i did not know the trick about the water. yes users have made thing to alter stuff true but think of it this way you do'nt want it to be a game and your right it is not. like in rl do people in rl? creat things to make your clothes drip or your skin after you get out of the shower?  so why should sl be any diffrent. it is more torwds rl right? and in rl dose anyone creat huds to make you bleed? it's life. sl to an extent is life too so it should not be treated any diffrently. i mean yes users can creat other things but sl should just take care of the main thing like the problems you all mentionned and the sl envionment. the outer space thing i think is feesable maybe not right now but ll i belieave could find away. and i'm not talking about just your avatar bleeding if it gets hurt i'm talking about like say you have someone who is pissing you off really bad like a greifer sure you can use spell huds to battle them and all but would'nt it be great if you could hit them with something and they explode i mean blood and guts everywhere and what it dose is dose not kill them of course cause you can't die in sl that is a good thing but it sends them home and by that time they are all in one peace again. but this idia would be good and i know no users have even created anything close to this yet. but it would be good being able to do something like that or even drowning a greifer cause the humiliation on their part well it would cut down on greifers i think.

One of the main things I like about Second Life is that you can't be physically injured. If we can explode griefers, think what they'll do to us. 

about bleeding i think its gonna be possible with the new tools that are coming. if you can attach an hud to an avatar on the screen you could also attach something to the avatar itself, and that could be blood for those damage enabled sims. if it sends you home the bleeding gets detached. just like the hud in linden realms.

about the sky i like the idea, that would need modification of windlight settings over 3000 feet, and physics. it would be like making another square up to add those effects.

i have seen the splash effect in some sims and there are some huds that make you swim and float, maybe the float property could be attached with the new creation tools. i would love to see soaked effect in clothes and hair, i havent seen that effect in any game yet, i think we are getting there.

i have seen that you can turn the water off but only in your viewer, or if a place dont need water they can make the land a little higher.

finily someone who sees my point. i just thuogh of another thing too make it so we can send the sky thruogh a days and nignts cycle that actully moves with the time so we do'nt have to keep going back and setting the sky in what ever time of time of day it is. and also be able to have weather too in the day settings so we can have snow if it's snowing out all thruoghh sl or rain or hail or what ever.

it would deture them they are trying to humiliate you do you think they want the persion who they are trying to get to get the better of them? let me guess you are one of those people who hate horror movies and you also do'nt fight back physicaly in sl when some one attacks you lol

"it would deture them they are trying to humiliate you do you think they want the persion who they are trying to get to get the better of them? let me guess you are one of those people who hate horror movies and you also do'nt fight back physicaly in sl when some one attacks you lol"

----------------------------------------------------

What makes you think bleeding or any other damage or injury similation would deter (note the spelling) any one prone to griefing or harrassing someone else?  If anything, it would encourage those type of people.........it gives the act of griefing one more level of "sport".'

The part I bolded:  It's not a matter of horror movies or wanting the "fight back" when attacked.  It's a matter of personal choice.  I love a good horror movie but I'll watch a good action drama or edge of your seat mystery every time.  Fighting back will only get you in hot water with the authorities (Linden Lab).  There are proper ways to deal with griefers (that actually work) that are much more effective that "fighting back".......fighting back just makes it more "sport" for the griefers and, in most cases, you loose way before the griefers loose (getting banned is the most often outcome).  It's all about maturity.

Let me guess.  You're a teen and you dream of going to the gym to get all buffed up so you can play with the bullies.......be a hero.

DYNASTY Clip wrote:

it would deture them they are trying to humiliate you do you think they want the persion who they are trying to get to get the better of them? let me guess you are one of those people who hate horror movies and you also do'nt fight back physicaly in sl when some one attacks you lol

Hey sweety, I don't think you understand, if avatars can bleed and have their guts exploded all over the place, then the griefers who have the technical upper hand will be exploding and bleeding to death all of the regular peeps like you and me.

The only way we would be able to get the better of them is if they could be destroyed and we couldn't. Or if we were more technically savvy, which if we were, they wouldn't need to bleed for us to humiliate them.

Also, when they attack you and you fight back, you are playing right into their hands, by attacking them, they report you, and you get in trouble while they laugh.

The best way to deal with griefers, from what I have learned is

1. Don't go to griefer lands

2. If they do find you, sit on something, start filling out abuse reports, and then wait for them to disappear.

Talking to them or fighting back just wastes time you could be using reporting them.

DYNASTY Clip wrote:

finily someone who sees my point. i just thuogh of another thing too make it so we can send the sky thruogh a days and nignts cycle that actully moves with the time so we do'nt have to keep going back and setting the sky in what ever time of time of day it is. and also be able to have weather too in the day settings so we can have snow if it's snowing out all thruoghh sl or rain or hail or what ever.

You can set up your own custom day cycles.

It wouldn't be cool to make weather the same all throughout SL cause if it's snowing in Colorado it may not be in New Zealand. Also, some sims are set in space and some are deserts or tropical islands, so having the same weather for those wouldn't work.

You have some cool ideas though, just be open to constructive criticism is all. Remember too, that Second Life is a global environment, and not just a small country.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4327 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.