SOPA blackouts January 18th

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm sort of disappointed that LL isn't supporting the SOPA/PIPA blackouts today. These are bills that -- if passed -- will affect internet freedom for all of us worldwide, not just Americans, and on a narrower focus would certainly affect us in SL.While I do agree with stopping internet piracy, SOPA and PIPA are vague and ridiculous bills that would put far too much power for net censorship in the wrong hands, while doing very little to acheive their goal.

SLUniverse forum has gone dark today to protest along with international user-generated sites like Wikipedia and Boing Boing. I guess I expected to see something from LL about it today. :smileyindifferent:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

madman626 Fall wrote:

Well I not too surprise that LL will not supporting the black out ,, why would they its like this if you are clean you got nothing to worry about .

This is actually why so many people are opposing SOPA though, madman: if it were only about being "clean" it would be great, but from an SL standpoint it could effectively stop all media streaming, which would close all our clubs, which would lead to sims being abandoned, malls being closed -- it could put a huge dent in LL's pockets, and on a much more serious side SOPA could hold LL accountable for the actions or content created by users, and SL could very easily be shut down.

madman626 Fall wrote:

Well I not too surprise that LL will not supporting the black out ,, why would they its like this if you are clean you got nothing to worry about .

Like Kobuk says, it's not that simple. The bills as written are actually designed specifically so that this is not true. They override current laws (like DMCA) and put web hosts and services (like SecondLife) on the hook for infractions by their users. Not even actual infractions but accusations of infraction. It's "shoot first, ask questions later if you feel like" legislation. Even "fair use" gets overidden by SOPA/PIPA, so things that used to be entirely legal can result in websites being shut down and seized.

You should educate yourself about these bills before supporting them out of hand. I say that as someone who works in the entertainment industry. SecondLife would not survive SOPA/PIPA enforcement, neither would the internet as we know it.

I think Second Life is particularly vulnerable to destruction by malicious SOPA / PIPA abusers, were some such law enacted.

Most of the focus has been on in-world-linked streaming of big media content, which indeed would be what would knock the sims out of DNS first: The media companies are positively champing at the bit for this and would have all the paperwork ready to shutdown SL (and vast chunks of the Internet) on the very day the law came in force.

The extra problem, however, is that LL would never be able to get SL back online because, even if they removed all media linking (no parcel audio, no parcel nor shared media), they'd still face an insurmountable problem "streaming" in-world user-generated content. 

My expectation, however, is that such a law would ultimately only offshore a majority of US high tech jobs, and turn all US residents into constant scofflaws, merely to use any recognizable approximation of the Internet.  

If big media weren't already so extravagantly bankrolling the SOPA / PIPA effort, India should.

Qie Niangao wrote:

The extra problem, however, is that LL would never be able to get SL back online because, even if they removed all media linking (no parcel audio, no parcel nor shared media), they'd still face an insurmountable problem "streaming" in-world user-generated conten

My thoughts, exactly. A lot of people here seem to be overlooking this part even tho I'd argue it was the larger problem.

madman626 Fall wrote:

But that's not the case with this law - anyone can claim copyright and shut you down instantly world-wide, without reference to a judge - getting back on, however, depends entirely on who can afford the better lawyers, you or the RIAA/MPAA/etc. Being "clean" has nothing to do with it.

Maelstrom Janus wrote:

What a laugh for ages we've had people on these forums droning on about people stealing their ideas and designs even going to court... Now they've got a law designed to stop it and another gang are moaning.... god bless america land of the corporate and the free
:D

You are seriously misrepresenting the issue here.

Kobuk Farshore wrote:

I'm sort of disappointed that LL isn't supporting the SOPA/PIPA blackouts today. These are bills that -- if passed -- will affect internet freedom for all of us worldwide, not just Americans, and on a narrower focus would certainly affect us in SL.While I do agree with stopping internet piracy, SOPA and PIPA are vague and ridiculous bills that would put far too much power for net censorship in the wrong hands, while doing very little to acheive their goal.

forum has gone dark today to protest along with international user-generated sites like Wikipedia and Boing Boing. I guess I expected to see
something
from LL about it today. :smileyindifferent:

lol - Linden Lab should support a blackout, given the amount of pirated content lying around in the Second Life Grid!

If you compare SOPA to other life situations it gets interesting... What if they were to shut down all the pawn shops and secondhand stores that ever (often unknowingly) sold stolen products? What if they shut down every store that ever sold anything that was later used in a crime? (That is what they would be effectively doing. They would be shutting down a website because a user did something unlawful). I don't know. This seems like a pretty slippery slope...

SOPA/PIPA

This bill is bad because it will shut down websites WITHOUT DUE PROCESS. Which means, while yes it could get rid of people who steal / pirate content, it does so without due process. So, if you are the original creator of a design or video, etc., and the government or someone who hates you thinks / accuses you of stealing or breaking copyrights, your website will be shut down no questions asked. 

This is dangerous to SL because a lot of people make shoes based on real brands, same with cars, clothes, so on and so forth. While Second Life's upload / user policy is strictly clear that the products we make should not and cannot represent anyone or anything in real life, we all know is almost never followed. And if anything we make is similar to a real product / person in real life, though it is not stated that it is based on so and so, it can still be shut down no questions asked. 

Another reason this is bad: If you post a link on a website, and that link has either pirated / copyrighted content, or a link to another website that contains that, all sites linking to it will be shut down in addition to the site holding the pirated / copyrighted content. 

No due process, no court time, etc etc, is bad. SL is screwed if this passes, and will get shut down, and everyone who makes money on this website will also be screwed. Blue mars will also suffer, IMVU, any site like this, which means creators will have no where to go if SL leaves, because everything else is going to go under.

This bill does not get rid of individual people whose content is stolen. It gets rid of the website as a WHOLE.

I hope the Americans vote for candidates who oppose these kind of Bills in their up and coming elections.

Who dreams this stuff up? A few old fogies who recieve back-handers from Big Business no doubt!

It kind of looks like companies like Second Life, we'll need to re-locate & register in another off-shore country / Island that are out of reach of these Laws. No one owns the Internet!

The problem isn't who you vote for, because it really doesn't matter anymore. It's the lobbyists. They want more money, so they give a little to people in power, and they pass things so that it kills any small business competition, etc.

People tried to protest the NDAA, and everyone thought it would never pass because Congress would deam it unconstitutional. However, it did. Our liberty, rights, etc. do not matter anymore, therefore our votes are meaningless. We are stuck with picking the lesser of evils. People are trying, however, to fight this best they can. 

Unfortunately, no matter how many protests, petitions, and blackouts websites / people have, it can still pass. Our government doesn't give a flying **bleep** about us anymore, and by blocking sites like Facebook / Twitter, they can kill off faster protest organization (which most likely is one reason why SOPA / PIPA came into existance).

Im not misreprensenting anything the law is aimed to stop copyright theft... people here have been moaning about copyright theft to the point of going to court...now theres a law promising to stop that and people start bleating about censorship...

Could it be thata few people realise that maybe theyre not going to be able to download their free music , films etc anymore ??

The forums were full of moans about copyright theft etc...now someone is going to try and put a stop to it... Surely theyre giving the people on these forums what they wanted...or deserved....

And if people are so absolutely up in arms about censorship why havent there been a few more complaints about the mysterious deletions of posts from this forum... ????

Lindens is hardly blameless when it comes to the subject of censorship so would probably hardly be able to take the 'high ground' over any censorship issues....

Twitter/ Facebook movement (where protests were being organised)....managed to topple Middle Eastern dictatorships. Governments recognise people power now....and probably scared of it!

Maelstrom...those Bills are wolf in sheep clothing masquerading as dealing with copyright issues, when really the ultriamotive is to shut down areas where people can congregate, exchange ideas or show the injustices via Media. ie Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, WikiLeaks etc

That's the problem, though. Like people said it will do very little to actually stop copyright infringement. It's would be like the police going after the gun maker rather than the person who shot the gun. Besides that, it's not talking about taking down just the copyrighted material. It's talking about removing whole media sources. A few people put up a protected song on youtube or facebook and suddenly no one can put up the video of their child's first steps. They going after the people who provide the paper rather than the people who forge the documents, so to speak. THAT is the issue. People are not in an uproar about this because they would no longer be able to steal music.. (Well some are but that is not what this debate is centered around). They are upset because the results of this poorly worded law would result in blanket censorship. Someone said if you don't break the law you won't be affected. I assure you that is not the case. Every single person will be affected by this.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.