Thanksgiving

Deltango Vale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As we enjoy the technologies of online grocery shopping, GPS smartphones and our virtual community, it is worth remembering the tens of thousands of settlers who died in their quest for a new life in the New World.

The Virginia Company of London founded Jamestown on a malarial swamp at the mouth of Chesapeake Bay in 1607. Of the hundreds of settlers who arrived each summer, half died during the winter. The reorganized Virginia Company granted a charter to a group of 'Robinsons' (Separatists) to sail the Mayflower to Virginia. En route, the ship changed course for the northern coast, eventually disembarking at Plymouth. Of the 102 settlers, 50 survived the winter. This story is repeated throughout the early decades of foundation and settlement. Nor was life much better for the indigenous population. Where the settlers died of cold and hunger, the Natives died of imported diseases. In the south, warfare killed many on both sides. In the north, cooperation saved many lives.

If there is a message from history, it is that we live in extreme luxury compared to our ancestors. Even the poorest person in North America today has a standard of living greater than any historical king, earl, baron or merchant. I believe it is important, therefore, on this day of Thanksgiving, to remember the spirit and enterprise of our ancestors and to give thanks for the quality of life we now take for granted.

Deltango Vale wrote:

As we enjoy the technologies of online grocery shopping, GPS smartphones and our virtual community, it is worth remembering the tens of thousands of settlers who died in their quest for a new life in the New World.

The Virginia Company of London founded Jamestown on a malarial swamp at the mouth of Chesapeake Bay in 1607. Of the hundreds of settlers who arrived each summer, half died during the winter. The reorganized Virginia Company granted a charter to a group of 'Robinsons' (Separatists) to sail the Mayflower to Virginia. En route, the ship changed course for the northern coast, eventually disembarking at Plymouth. Of the 102 settlers, 50 survived the winter. This story is repeated throughout the early decades of foundation and settlement. Nor was life much better for the indigenous population. Where the settlers died of cold and hunger, the Natives died of imported diseases. In the south, warfare killed many on both sides. In the north, cooperation saved many lives.

If there is a message from history, it is that we live in extreme luxury compared to our ancestors. Even the poorest person in North America today has a standard of living greater than any historical king, earl, baron or merchant. I believe it is important, therefore, on this day of Thanksgiving, to remember the spirit and enterprise of our ancestors and to give thanks for the quality of life we now take for granted.

i know i'm grateful and thankful for how i live today..but there are still some pretty poor people out there in america and all over the world..

a lot are still living on the streets and outside in harsh conditions nowdays..

Good OP.

While we could could discuss the rights or wrongs of their beliefs (and sadly, too many people think the Pilgrims were Puritans), there was a bigger concept in play in why they did what they did that that is the basis for so many of the freedoms we enjoy.  They wanted the freedom to live according to the dictates of their conscious without persecution for their beliefs.

I have many things that I am thankful for this day.

Perrie Juran wrote:

They wanted the freedom to live according to the dictates of their conscious without persecution for their beliefs.

Well no, actually.  They mostly objected to the complete religious freedom in England at the time.  Other than the monarch not allowed to be Catholic everyone was free to live their lives as they wanted.  It was a particularly licentious time and that, dear readers, is what they could not stand - other people living as they wished, instead of how the bigots insisted everyone should.

Or it could be that they were just blind to other people's backgrounds, aspirations and outlook.  The sort of people that would address an international audience with a message only relevant to their own narrow viewpoint.

(Everyone creates myths to justify themselves but I've always found it odd that the USA makes so much of the founding of one or other colony rather than, say, the revolution which (from the losing side) looks much more genuinely heroic, consequential and defining.  Oh well, any excuse for a party, I suppose)

[Void, Cerise, et al - this time definitely don't mention cricket!]

@ everyone

In order to prevent this thread degenerating into a religious debate, let me list some of the principal founders of North America:

• the East India Company
  • the Virginia Company of London
  • the Virginia Company of Plymouth
  • the Bermuda Company
  • the Laconia Company
  • the Massachusetts Bay Company
  • the New Netherlands Company
  • the De Caen Company
  • the Company of New France
  • the Company of Adventurers to Canada
  • the Company of Habitants
  • the Swedish West India Company
  • the Dutch West India Company
  • the Hudson Bay Company
  • the North West Company
  • the Company of One Hundred Associates

With the exception of Spain, European monarchs were loathe to spend money on exploration and settlement. (Columbus and Magellan initially sought venture capital from the king of Portugal, who told them to take a hike, which they did - to Spain.) So, ladies and gentlemen, Corporate America is not a new concept. All the companies listed above were the 'Microsoft', 'Apple' and 'Linden Lab' of their day. The difference is that, in those days, half the Board of Directors, managers, shareholders and employees died during Q4.

Deltango Vale wrote:

@ everyone

In order to prevent this thread degenerating into a religious debate, let me list some of the principal founders of North America:
  • the East India Company
  • the Virginia Company of London
  • the Virginia Company of Plymouth
  • the Bermuda Company
  • the Laconia Company
  • the Massachusetts Bay Company
  • the New Netherlands Company
  • the De Caen Company
  • the Company of New France
  • the Company of Adventurers to Canada
  • the Company of Habitants
  • the Swedish West India Company
  • the Dutch West India Company
  • the Hudson Bay Company
  • the North West Company
  • the Company of One Hundred Associates

With the exception of Spain, European monarchs were loathe to spend money on exploration and settlement. (Columbus and Magellan initially sought venture capital from the king of Portugal, who told them to take a hike, which they did - to Spain.) So, ladies and gentlemen, Corporate America is not a new concept. All the companies listed above were the 'Microsoft', 'Apple' and 'Linden Lab' of their day. The difference is that, in those days, half the Board of Directors, managers, shareholders and employees died during Q4.

i wasn't going into really any of that..just the misconception that everyone in north america is living as good or better than kings back then..you have corporate america ..then you have the results of it..which are us..

a lot of americans themselves don't even know really how bad it is in many places..so i'm sure outside of it's borders is even less clear..

we see more foreign aid commercials than we do commercials of that type for our own homeless..that just seems so strange to me..

it's like if we don't acknowledge it then it will go away on it's own..

i hope they all find a shelter today so they have something to be thankful for today at least..

its a nice part of history that show us that cooperation bring better results than fighting, they save themselves from starvation, and gain knowledge by sharing. thats the way to do it.

we will be celebrating this day in memory of that decision.

we should also be thankful for all that help us when we were in need, that decided to cooperate with us, and share knowledge with us, between them, i count you my fellow forumites.

thank you for all the help and knowledge and fun you have bringed here.

happythanksgiving.jpeg

Deltango Vale wrote:

I believe it is important, therefore, on this day of Thanksgiving, to remember the spirit and enterprise of our ancestors and
to give thanks for the quality of life we now take for granted.

I was thinking of starting a thread with this same sentiment.  So, glad to see someone else, thinking along the same lines as I was this morning.   Also, glad to see several of the Dutch companies listed above that helped found the New World here in North America.  In real life,  I have a Dutch last name, and several Dutch family lines in my background. 

It was the  willingness to embark on a dangerous undertaking, like traveling to North America, from Holland, England, and various places on the European Continent, that amazes me.  The people came for different reasons, some religious, some business, some as explorers...yet they all risked their lives, to have a chance to change their futures for something unsure...but possibly better.  I'm thankful they did.  I'm thankful they took the risks, and were brave enough to leave behind the known....and travel to the unknown.  

A lot of you have seen this video clip, but it says it so well.   We live in amazing times.  I'm thankful to be a part of it.

Linden Lab wrote:

To Residents worldwide: Happy Thanksgiving!

How kind. On behalf of worldwide residents, I thank you. Unfortunately, Thanksgiving is solely an American celebration (I say “unfortunately” as, had it been a global celebration, chances are I would have had the day off), but thank you anyway.

To American SLers, my best wishes for your holiday – politics and religion aside, my wish for you is that it is a peaceful and pleasant day spent with loved ones.

Carole Franizzi wrote:

Linden Lab wrote:

To Residents worldwide: Happy Thanksgiving!

Unfortunately, Thanksgiving is solely an American celebration

Today's Thanksgiving is for the US.   But, it's actually, both a Canadian and American (US) holiday celebration.   In Canada Thanksgiving is earlier in the harvest season, as they are further north.  Canadian Thanksgiving is in October.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving

Carole Franizzi wrote:

To American SLers, my best wishes for your holiday – politics and religion aside, my wish for you is that it is a peaceful and pleasant day spent with loved ones.

Thank you!   :  )

Thank you to the Dutch for not only sheltering the early British separatists (King James was not amused) but also for helping to fund the Revolution later. Yay Dutch!

The Mayflower contained about half religious separatists who wished to practice in a more simple way than the C of E/King James dictated (and had thrown some in jail for ignoring) and about half various working class who wished a better life. Half of the ship and crew died that first long winter.

In spring, Squanto approached; he had been enslaved in Spain and escaped and spent three years in London before returning home to find his entire village wiped out by disease. Slowly the pilgrims and surrounding tribes made peace and alliances and friendships beginning with his help.

When they had all made it through to warmer weather and the crops came in the pilgrims held a big harvest feast. Massasoit showed up with 90 warriors and they all partied like it was 1621. Happy Thanksgiving!  Hope everyone had some good times and great eats.

Deltango Vale wrote:

I couldn't get a turkey here for love nor money, so I roasted a leg of lamb with sweet potatoes, onions and garlic. French beans on the side. A nice red wine. Apple pie for desert. A great day for me too
:)

oh that sounded really good heheheh

we had ham and turkey and then just all kinds of everything else under the sun..just a long table of nom nom's lol

if it keeps growing like this every year..in a couple of years we are going to have to rent out some place to have it..

but i'm not complaining..the more the merrier =)

Haaaa!  All these years I've been wrong about Thanksgiving.  I thought it was meant to be about the safe arrival of the pilgrims.  Just thanks for the harvest takes all the religion/culture/national emphasis out of it.  Thank you for clearing that up. [in the UK I'm told we have harvest festival in September but it's a church thing and just about only primary school children notice it]

@Deltango - thank you for that list too.

@Carole - seconded!

@LL - I think you are teasing :-)

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Haaaa!  All these years I've been wrong about Thanksgiving.  I thought it was meant to be about the safe arrival of the pilgrims.  Just thanks for the harvest takes all the religion/culture/national emphasis out of it.  Thank you for clearing that up. [in the UK I'm told we have harvest festival in September but it's a church thing and just about only primary school children notice it]

Yes...it's all about food!!    *laughing*     

Basically, around 1621...the early American settlers finally had a decent harvest and they said, "OMG....half of us aren't going to starve to death this winter!  Woo hoo!  Let's celebrate!   Oh, and those Indians, the ones who showed us how to plant, and gave us corn and other yummy foods that we'd never heard of before....let's invite them too!  Yay!"  

http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/articles/thanksgivingmenu.htm

If you scroll down on that link there are the documented written accounts of that first thanksgiving celebration, including what foods they had, who attended the celebration, etc.  That first thanksgiving feast was a multiple-day cross-culture celebration of food and goodwill.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.