Did Twinity copy SL or Vice-versa?

Randall Ahren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Have you seen the sign-up page for Twinity? It's strikingly similar to SL's sign-up page. I'm thinking somebody must have done some copying or it's a common third party providing sign-up services for both Twinity and SL.

Twinity has some interesting features that SL might consider implementing. First, suggested destinations shows the number of avatars there so you don't go teleporting around to empty sims. You are informed ahead of time of the number of avatars present at that particular destination. Second, no spam on their forums.  Third, new residents receive money for completing tasks according to a tutorial. After earning a few hundred globals in Twinity and buying a hat, I still have 370 globals left. I almost rented an apartment for 99 globals/month but held off.

Oh, I forgot one other feature that SL might consider implementing as in Twinity. In Twinity, new residents get to have first and last names. 

It's a relative newcomer who is copying some aspects of SL. Started in Sept 2008, a couple years after the server code for SL was reverse-engineered and the viewer code open sourced. Looks like they copied a very limited subset of what SL is and does, but are implementing it mainly as indoor rooms, like IMVU. Just another "me too!' virtual world attempt.

the Av's and choice of av's are streets ahead of what LL offers i actually wouldn't mind being a noob in Twinity
i saw the sign up page and to see you could pick your own first/last name is something LL really needs to bring back. i'm always using my SL name on other grids if i decided to sign up to this newer one i wouldn't use my SL name i'd opt for something wildly different
the thing that puts me off trying it is the system reqs i have no idea if my graphics are better or worse than the ones listed plus it needs 3gb of HD space 

It doesn't matter what the mass of other virtual worlds are like, or what embellishments they add, it's the size of the population that matters. When one of them starts to grow significantly, and concurrency is in the thousands, then SL may have some competition but, until then, they are all just hobbies for their owners.

LL is like a crazy lover. Eventually you reach a point where you decide the screwing you're getting isn't worth the screwing you're getting. I wouldn't even be looking at other virtual worlds, but for the continuing irritations and slights from LL: spam on the forum, elimination of last names, capricious bans of residents, useless Facebook features in the viewer, and on an on. It isn't the mountains that wear you out, it's the rock in your shoe. At some point, a competitor is going to get just enough right that they achieve the critical population mass necessary to put SL out of business. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.