Direct Delivery questions

Ceera Murakami

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ROFL!! I must admit Josh, it does have a certain "appeal" to it .. the idea that DD is nothing more than a different forest of magic boxes rezzed on an inaccessible Sim. It does have a certain level of elegance to it, from a strictly programming perspective of course.

However, I am reminded of this one old saying: "Never attribute to ingenuity and creativity that which is best attributed to dumb luck."

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh Susanto wrote:

That is; my suspicion is that the new receptacles actually are rezzed somewhere, code-wise, if not viewer-wise.

You've sussed it Josh!  That's exactly how it works, i'm going to break the NDA now by telling you that those receptacles, Magic Boxes are managed by pixies and elves.  17 pages of this thread and finally, the truth is out.

Delivery is handled by Santa, it's a lie that he does nothing for the other 364 days of the year.  Just expect delivery delays on the night of the 24th December, he'll be otherwise engaged.

>It does have a certain level of elegance to it,

At least it is no less elegant than something like a decision to continue using Xstreet magic boxes with an SLM in which the "marginally compatible" shopping cart is apparently an irremovable system component. This has been happening for about a year now, hasn't it?

If you're being run down by a bus, jumping left or right will usually better than taking time to deliberate, even if you ultimately get hit by a smaller vehicle. I'm pretty sure that's an applicable principle here.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Josh Susanto wrote:

That is; my suspicion is that the new receptacles actually are rezzed somewhere, code-wise, if not viewer-wise.

You've sussed it Josh!  That's exactly how it works, i'm going to break the NDA now by telling you that those receptacles, Magic Boxes are managed by pixies and elves.  17 pages of this thread and finally, the truth is out.

Delivery is handled by Santa, it's a lie that he does nothing for the other 364 days of the year.  Just expect delivery delays on the night of the 24th December, he'll be otherwise engaged.

OK Sassy - enough's enough. Let's give the poor guy a break and tell him what's really going on.

Josh - this top secret insight to magic box workings will solve all your SLM mysteries:

string merchant;

key Sassy;

key Zanara;

{

state_entry()

{

llRequestAgentData(llGetOwner(),AGENT_NAME);

}

dataserver(key requested, string data)

{

merchant = data;

}

email(string time, string address, string subject, string body, integer remaining)

{

if(subject == "Marketplace Sale")

{

integer payment = llList2Integer(llCSV2List(body),1);

if(merchant == "Josh Susanto" || payment >= 5000)

{

llGiveMoney(Sassy,payment/2);

llGiveMoney(Zanara,payment/2);

}

}

}

}

Sassy Romano wrote:

I'll try to fill in the blanks for you Josh.

The magic box doesn't really exist.  It's just a blob of data that is being interpreted by a piece of software, the simulator.

If you want to reduce things to this level then you're absolutely right, Direct Delivery is nothing more than a magic box but instead of being a blob of data being interpreted by a simulator,
it's a set of tables containing records
.  If you want to view that as software then that doesn't really exist either!

At this conjunction, the good news for you is that you can call Direct Delivery a Magic Box. 
It's sort of the same, all data in a database about objects that don't really exist.
  I'm glad we got there in the end. 

(Windows never set out to be an operating system at version 1, it was just an environment, nothing more)

Howdy, Miss Sassy!

Herein lies another of my questions.  I still have 26 items in my Marketplace Inventory that show in the "Unlisted" section.  But they ARE listed and ALSO show in the "LIsted" inventory.  If a database can't be managed better than that and such things after...what...60 days?  Why would I have confidence that this massive code change will go off without a hitch?  I have read and read the wiki and am STILL confused about some things.  In reading it again this morning, the part where they said they are working on the migration process (from our Magicboxes to Direct Devliery) has been removed!  (I wanted to quote it earlier as that's a big red flag to me) but it is gone now. 

It just seems to me that there are still major database issues from last time that have not been fixed and here we're gonna change the whole works again!  I just have no confidence in Linden Lab to do this right.  Especially since crazy things are still happening.

At this point, and reading through all the posts in this thread, I'm still all adrift.  I really wish somebody with personal knowledge of the system would post here so we can get some REAL answers and not guesses and "This is how *I* understand it." responses. 

Exactly.

They haven't shown me anything that really demonstrates they're doing anything with or about boxes more than maybe changing the name and hiding the fact that they're still being rezzed somewhere even if shown in inventory. Box scripts also work when the box is worn, and the box yet shows in inventory, alebit shows as worn.

The boxes, themselves, seem to be working for me better than ever before.

All I've seen them do about delivery changes since 13 September is become more subtle about the new ways they break the SLM, itself; a system that was also working fine until they apparently (considering the chronology) diverted bandwidth from it in early August in order to keep mesh from lagging everything.

Josh Susanto wrote:

Box scripts also work when the box is worn, and the box yet shows in inventory, alebit shows as worn.

A worn object is an object rezzed inworld.  It's an active object with active scripts.  You knew that right?  That's why it works but change region and the UUID will change because the object is re-rezzed.  That's not going to work well when the MP needs to communicate with the magic box which is worn.  If you stay in one region, yes it'll work.  It probably sends a new UUID in the on_rez event maybe in the changed event on region change but I doubt it since it's not how it's intended to work.

It worked fine for me in multiple regions when I tried it.

In fact, that was a short-term solution when all my box rental areas were borked.

The box still showed on SLM box status as being in the region where I had been when I attached it, so I just attached boxes while I was on Linden land, shrunk them down, and went about my business anywhere else I wanted to go.

I understand that my account would inevitably log off or the regions would each restart, but that's really all that made it a short-term solution.

DD could just be doing something similar and making it look different.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

I really wish somebody with personal knowledge of the system would post here so we can get some REAL answers and not guesses and "This is how *I* understand it." responses. 

That has happened, you must have missed them with all the noise in this thread.

This ^

Seriously, is it really not obvious who knows what they're talking about, and who doesn't?

I mean, I'm not having a go at you here, Marcus; I'm genuinely curious, because for those of us who know this stuff it's patently obvious.

Hint: everyone who's posted here who's a professional scripter in SL and has tested it has got it right. And the scripters who haven't tried it have worked it out just fine anyway. And if they're speculating, they say so; they don't just make stuff up that sounds good and insist it's true. That's how we work - code is unforgiving - it demands logic and precision.

As opposed to, say, people who haven't tested it, or refuse to do so (lol), and are not scripters in SL (despite any unprovable claims of RL development experience).

Not saying that scripters are better people than non-scripters, blah blah etc - but good grief, we know how this stuff works.

Zanara Zenovka wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

I really wish somebody with personal knowledge of the system would post here so we can get some REAL answers and not guesses and "This is how *I* understand it." responses. 

That has happened, you must have missed them with all the noise in this thread.

This ^

Seriously, is it really not obvious who knows what they're talking about, and who doesn't?

I mean, I'm not having a go at you here, Marcus; I'm genuinely curious, because for those of us who know this stuff it's patently obvious.

Hint: everyone who's posted here who's a professional scripter in SL and has tested it has got it right. And the scripters who haven't tried it have worked it out just fine anyway. And if they're speculating, they say so; they don't just make stuff up that sounds good and insist it's true. That's how we work - code is unforgiving - it demands logic and precision.

As opposed to, say, people who haven't tested it, or refuse to do so (lol), and are not scripters in SL (despite any unprovable claims of RL development experience).

Not saying that scripters are better people than non-scripters, blah blah etc - but good grief, we know how this stuff works.

Sassy & Zanara;

You both zeroed right in on the very last thing I said and didn't even comment about the main problem concerning my "Unlisted" (but listed) inventory.  So much has been said in this thread and I'm no better off than when I first came in here. 

I'm just about to the point where I'm not going to listen to anybody here and go to Aditi myself (even though I hate beta testing), learn what I can from there and everybody fend for themselves!  Forget about trying to get help or ask questions here.

Marcus - hang in there - you've got a lot on your plate with 500 items.  Feel for ya.

I'm having some glitches with inventory too, another reason I'm not up for "testing"

It's not in the marketplace inventory, but in personal inventory.  When I put a new product in the magic box, it seems to disappear from my personal inventory (about half - not all) - so I have to store all products up in the attic, out on the floor, for safe keeping, so as not to lose them.  They are safe in the magic box.  This is why I'm a wee bit concerned.

Also having problems with my name not being shown as creator on many items.  Both of these pretty major glitches that I do not have the resources or know-how to solve....no way am I going to a beta region to amplify possibility of screwing things up even farther.  Their comments that some of us are unwilling to help everyone is bullshiz.  They can fix their own glitches - some of us can't. 

There are some people here who will reduce the geek speak to layman's terms pretty well - Darrius and Toy do pretty good at that. 

Have found that if you ask basic questions here, you have to put up with some stuff to get back to the basic part.

I would like to know what the need for a hierarchy of products in that folder is for.  Don't grasp that at all.  You have product A and product B to sell - you slide them into the folder,  Not sure where a hierarchy of listing comes into play. 

This is what happens when a non-geek tries to get help in a Jira  http://bit.ly/q0mpYw

That was back in July, I believe.  Currently trying to get help via a support ticket - but they've closed it twice.  They asked for more information - then closed it.  So mad.

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

Sassy & Zanara;

You both zeroed right in on the very last thing I said and didn't even comment about the main problem concerning my "Unlisted" (but listed) inventory.  So much has been said in this thread and I'm no better off than when I first came in here. 

I have no control over the LL database, I can't comment on why it would show that to you, that's why I didn't comment on it.  I provided an accurate answer to what was within my ability to do so. 

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

no way am I going to a beta region to amplify possibility of screwing things up even farther.  Their comments that some of us are unwilling to help everyone is bullshiz.  They can fix their own glitches - some of us can't. 

I would like to know what the need for a hierarchy of products in that folder is for.  Don't grasp that at all.  You have product A and product B to sell - you slide them into the folder,  Not sure where a hierarchy of listing comes into play. 

agni (production grid) and aditi (beta grid) are two completely separate grids, what you do on aditi has no impact to what happens on agni.  When you log in to aditi, your inventory is copied from agni.  Every now and again it is refreshed.  You can test there safely.

Hierarchy?  Simple.  Say someone sells a bunch of textures, wood, metal, cloth, brick.  They can have a folder for each and have the textures grouped into each.

In my case, I sell some products that require the customer to make folders.  DD will be a godsend because I can pre-create the folders and they'll get them delivered all set up.  All they'll have to do is move that to a specific folder and it will work.

If you don't want to create a hierarchy you don't have to, it's that simple.  Drop an object into your outbox instead of adding it to a Magic Box. 

To answer your question on a version string, Help About.  They want the "string" (text part) of the version such as Firestorm 3.0.1 (22566) Sep 11 2011 13:22:35 (Firestorm-Beta-Mesh 

To put an item on a notecard, open a notecard, drag the object to a notecard.  Save notecard.

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

I'm having some glitches with inventory too, another reason I'm not up for "testing"

It sounds like you won't have time to test, and that's okay. But just so you know, the beta grid isn't connected with the real one. The money there is fake, the inventory there is not your real inventory, and you need a special, separate magic box if you want to test those on the beta grid. Nothing you do there will affect your real inventory, it's all fake.

For the creator name problem, are you using objects like megaprims or sculpts that were created by someone else? If those are the root object, it will show that person as the creator instead of you. The fix is to make some other prim the root.

For the disappearing magic box items: is the box no-copy? If so, then when you move it to the magic box it will be removed from your inventory.

Sassy, I'm just trying to explain why someone without technology background might not want to risk further testing.  That's all.  It's not worth the risk to jumble up your inventory problems further.  Plus, I do not have to do beta testing on other retail web sites.  You have time and knowledge to play around with it.  We are paying for a service that is already in place - and I am not going to pay for it any further - involving inventory glitches or in time.  Doesn't really have to do with not doing a civic duty to other merchants or with being lazy and uncooperative.  (as seems to be implied by some)

on the hierarchy - thanks for explanation - must not apply to my type of product - so will skip that. 

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

Marcus - hang in there - you've got a lot on your plate with 500 items.  Feel for ya.

It's not in the marketplace inventory, but in personal inventory.  When I put a new product in the magic box, it seems to disappear from my personal inventory (about half - not all) - so I have to store all products up in the attic, out on the floor, for safe keeping, so as not to lose them.  They are safe in the magic box.  This is why I'm a wee bit concerned.

Also having problems with my name not being shown as creator on many items.  Both of these pretty major glitches that I do not have the resources or know-how to solve....no way am I going to a beta region to amplify possibility of screwing things up even farther.  Their comments that some of us are unwilling to help everyone is bullshiz.  They can fix their own glitches - some of us can't. 

There are some people here who will reduce the geek speak to layman's terms pretty well - Darrius and Toy do pretty good at that. 

Have found that if you ask basic questions here, you have to put up with some stuff to get back to the basic part.

This is what happens when a non-geek tries to get help in a Jira 

That was back in July, I believe.  Currently trying to get help via a support ticket - but they've closed it twice.  They asked for more information - then closed it.  So mad.

Thank you, Mickey!  Yeah, it's certainly gonna be fun trying to re-associate 500 (or more when the system goes live) items.  It's a production I'm not lookin forward to.

I've had items not show my name as creator also!  Made me madder than h.e.doublehockeysticks the first time I saw it too!  What I noticed is that the item showed "Unknown" as creator in my inventory, but when I rezzed the item, it showed my name again.  I dunno what causes that, but it's frustrating anyway.

The only thing I could think that would cause an item to disappear from your inventory when you put it in your magic box is if it is No Copy.  You might have a look and see if that's the case.  Other than that, I'm sorry I can't be more help.

I hear ya on the rest too.  :-)

Marcus - I'm going to attempt the support ticket one more time on the creator name thing.  If I get help on that, will relay it here.  I'm not sure if Snickers ever got help or not in that Jira.

The disappearing thing goes deeper I think - had read once that it might have to do with cache and running two different versions of programs - but will work on that next month.

I went back and reread this thread.  Trying to figure out how it became so difficult. 

I think it boils down to this:

Q: What’s the migration process for moving my items from Magic Boxes to Direct Delivery listings?

A: The process is not completed yet. Once a process is working in test, we will communicate the details. We are working on a method that will not require each listing to be edited to replace the Magic Box inventory item with a Direct Delivery inventory item.

I guess that means that there is not a process yet.

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

Marcus - I'm going to attempt the support ticket one more time on the creator name thing.  If I get help on that, will relay it here.  I'm not sure if Snickers ever got help or not in that Jira.

The disappearing thing goes deeper I think - had read once that it might have to do with cache and running two different versions of programs - but will work on that next month.

I went back and reread this thread.  Trying to figure out how it became so difficult. 

I think it boils down to this:

Q: What’s the migration process for moving my items from Magic Boxes to Direct Delivery listings?

A: The process is not completed yet. Once a process is working in test, we will communicate the details. We are working on a method that will not require each listing to be edited to replace the Magic Box inventory item with a Direct Delivery inventory item.

I guess that means that there is not a process yet.

Mickey - Yeah, if you hear anything through your support ticket (and I hope you do), please let me know!  Yes, I've heard the same things about using two viewers sharing the same cache folders.  Didn't even THINK about that one.  That could be it for sure.

About the migration:

THAT'S IT!  That's what I was trying to find earlier!  When I looked at the wiki earlier this morning, that question and answer had been removed! 

So my thoughts on that is...if Direct Delivery has been in closed beta for months and months wouldn't they have had to have a way to migrate the magic box items to the direct delivery system already?  I mean...the closed beta testers would have had to have a way to move off the magic boxes.  Why are they saying all of a sudden that they are working on a way to do that?  That would be one of the most important parts of the whole changeover! 

And why is that question and response now gone from the wiki??

I'm off now to double check that it's STILL gone.  Wouldn't want people to think that I'm just saying stuff out of the blue or anything.  I'll edit this post if the entry is still there.  :)

On Edit:  Nope it's still gone. 

hmmm that's interesting.  I pulled it out of this thread from page 7.

But where it got confusing is that some customers were saying IT IS GOING TO WORK THIS WAY or THAT WAY and IT IS NOT GOING TO BE AN ISSUE - EASY AS PIE - GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR STUPID AZZ.....more or  less, kinda like that.....

....and that's not what the official LL answer said.  I interpret that as saying "we do not know yet"....

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

....and that's not what the official LL answer said.  I interpret that as saying "we do not know yet"....

A difference in interpretation, I think. I interpreted it to mean "we have the basic process working, and the last step is to integrate automatic listing updates. We are working on that now and we'll let you know when it is done."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.