Direct Delivery questions

Ceera Murakami

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>I have no control over the LL database, I can't comment on why it would show that to you, that's why I didn't comment on it.  I provided an accurate answer to what was within my ability to do so. 

Let's see what happens when he asks 3 blind guys to identify an large item by touch.

Spoiler: it's an elephant; an elephant in the living room that everyone pretends just isn't there.

Josh Susanto wrote:

>I guess that means that there is not a process yet.

It means that, until there is a process, there is no process.

Well, my apologies for failing to accept that statement at the simple core.

For a minute there, was channeling my Inner-Geek and making it way more complicated.

Pardon for the 10 pages of complications.  Please relay that in Geek-Speak to the others.

Paladin Pinion wrote:

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

On Edit:  Nope it's still gone. 

I don't think it was ever in there. The quote came from the Linden post in this thread, here:

Ah!  You're absolutely right, Paladin.  It is in the thread not in the actual wiki Q&A .

Paladin Pinion wrote:

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

....and that's not what the official LL answer said.  I interpret that as saying "we do not know yet"....

A difference in interpretation, I think. I interpreted it to mean "we have the basic process working, and the last step is to integrate automatic listing updates. We are working on that now and we'll let you know when it is done."

Interesting interpretation... one I guess we should take serious if we are all to take Zanara's advice that "Scripters Know All and Better than the rest of us".

Strange how your interpretation seems to go againt my 20+ years of RL systems integration and deployment experience. 

The way I read - knowing the backgournd of LL's DD situation :  1)  LL has been designing DD since early 2011.  2) LL has been coding DD functionality into the summer far enough that they could actually make it available this past summer for the CLOSED BETA Testers to start trying out,  3) that the Close Beta Testers have been using LL's DD solution 3 months,  4) and now LL believes DD is ready and stable enough to release it to OPEN BETA for any merchant in the community to try out.

Yet as far as LL has taken the DD soiution through the development lifecycle, they post on Friday that as of right now LL still has not thought through and deployed even a bit of the DD solution that 100% of the 10's of thousands of Merchants will be needing and would want to test out the most????

This DD functionality is one of the critical functions of DD and LL Commerce Team is ONLY NOW TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THIS FUNCTION?  

LL felt this function was so trivial that they didnt even want their gagged Closed Beta Testers to try out the function with the highest risk of complication or failure before the general Merchant community tries it out?

The way I interpret this message from LL is:   

"OOOPS We Missed this concept in the DD development and deployment and wow I guess if we should have thought that maybe the Merchants are going to be royally ticked off if transitioning 100s or 1000's of MP listing from Magicbox delivered content to DD delivered content wont go over well. We better figure something out NOW and just tell the dumb non-scripter merchants that we are just working on this component of the DD solution." 

And this is where LL will likely introduce most of the bug that I am very sure we will suffer through when DD goes into production.  Why?  Because this is the code that LL is rushing to get completed ASAP and that the Closed Beta Testers wont even be able to test in private.

WOW Paladen, you said in RL you are a professional software developer?  I guess maybe its because I am not a "LL SCRIPTER" so maybe I dont know better but as a RL Systems Architect for 15+ years on countless solutions / projects / deployments of all sizes and complexity - I dont interpret this as nicely as you.

But I guess the next few weeks will tell if yours or my interpretation is correct. ;) 

I find this to be a safe bet if you are willing to take a chance on your interpretation.

I do see that LL still has not spoken up to answer the outstanding questions in this thread - you know - the ones that LL Commerce seems to have not seen on Friday.

I know us dumb non-scripters should take Zanara's avdice and trust the all knowing scripters of LL, but sorry, I would prefer taking answers from the only ones that know the answers with authority and not educated guesses...

I want LL to step up and stop hiding and start taking responsibility and ownership with what they promised and to perform mature systems deployment - Communicate with their customers.

Its pretty irresponsible actions the LL Commerce Team is practicing once again.  Just like the Sep 13th MP changes where Brooke makes one small post a day in advance telling us a little change will happen tomorrow and we will tell you later what the changes were.

Is this how LL plans to handle DD deployment?

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

This DD functionality is one of the critical functions of DD and LL Commerce Team is ONLY NOW TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THIS FUNCTION?  

If I were coding this, I'd need to have the main part of the system working first before I could design the part that does the transfers. This last bit will depend on how the rest of it works. So yeah, I'd leave this till last.

If the beta starts in December -- and LL doesn't say exactly when in December -- then they have around a month or maybe more to finish this piece. I don't know if that's "rushing" or not. We also don't know that the closed beta group isn't going to test this before we do.

ETA: The announcement says " We will be allowing a limited number of merchants to Beta test Direct Delivery in production before the official launch, which will not occur until after the New Year." So, at least 2 months before final deployment.

Here's their answer, and why I interpret it the way I do:

A: The process is not completed yet.

"We're writing it but it isn't finalized yet."

Once a process is working in test,

The beta hasn't been opened to everyone yet, but it's being tested by the closed beta group.

we will communicate the details. We are working on a method that will not require each listing to be edited to replace the Magic Box inventory item with a Direct Delivery inventory item.

What we're writing is a way to auto-list your items so you won't have to edit your listings manually.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

I guess maybe its because I am not a "LL SCRIPTER" so maybe I dont know better but as a RL Systems Architect for 15+ years on countless solutions / projects / deployments of all sizes and complexity....

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE MAGICBOX.  They threw out the baby with the bath water.

LOL

I rest my case.

Zanara Zenovka wrote:

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

I guess maybe its because I am not a "LL SCRIPTER" so maybe I dont know better but as a RL Systems Architect for 15+ years on countless solutions / projects / deployments of all sizes and complexity....

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE MAGICBOX.  They threw out the baby with the bath water.

LOL

I rest my case.

Even though this has been technically discussed and that even Sassy and Darrius know what I meant by this statement, I wont explain it to you Zanara.... You are not a SCRIPTER... would be over your head if you didnt even understand this statement.

sniker...

maybe Darrius has the patience to explain it to you.

Zanara Zenovka wrote:

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

LOL

I rest my case.

Even though this has been technically discussed and that even Sassy and Darrius know what I meant by this statement, I wont explain it to you Zanara.... You are not a SCRIPTER... would be over your head if you didnt even understand this statement.

sniker...

maybe Darrius has the patience to explain it to you.

You know what is more sad Rya.....

That this thread is 21 pages and in LL's recent blog that announced the DD Open Beta, they stated and link to read the forum for more answers from them.  AND YET...

LL Commerce has only post 3 times of which the first post was just LL saying Sassy was right.

So 2 posts from LL in 21 pages of questions, concerns, debates, guesses on DD from the Merchants.

Do you find it surprising that there is this much activity on this topic?  LL has stayed in hiding on DD for about 7+ months regardless of the countless requests from Merchants for Brooke and company be more transparent and tell us all more what is going on with DD.

You know what is more sad Rya.....

That this thread is 21 pages and in LL's recent blog that announced the DD Open Beta, they stated and link to read the forum for more answers from them.  AND YET...

LL Commerce has only post 3 times of which the first post was just LL saying Sassy was right.

So 2 posts from LL in 21 pages of questions, concerns, debates, guesses on DD from the Merchants.

Do you find it surprising that there is this much activity on this topic?  LL has stayed in hiding on DD for about 7+ months regardless of the countless requests from Merchants for Brooke and company be more transparent and tell us all more what is going on with DD.

Your suggestion of "Magic Box as Outbox" is clear enough, and has its merits, although if you thought it through further you'd see problems with the implementation. However speculation on it is pointless because it's not going to happen.

Your statement above has been clearly reinforced by others such as this:

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

TOY: Still a ton of questions not answered and that LL didnt even see in this thread that were clearly asked.  I am shocked Paladin... honestly, did you really have that many delivery failures as a merchant of MP?  How many a month?  If you are like me and it was only a couple a month, would it really be worth all this hassle of transition to solve a few failures a month?

Your suggestion of "Magic Box as Outbox" is clear enough, and has its merits, although if you thought it through further you'd see problems with the implementation. However speculation on it is pointless because it's not going to happen.

Your statement above has been clearly reinforced by others such as this:

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

TOY: Still a ton of questions not answered and that LL didnt even see in this thread that were clearly asked.  I am shocked Paladin... honestly, did you really have that many delivery failures as a merchant of MP?  How many a month?  If you are like me and it was only a couple a month, would it really be worth all this hassle of transition to solve a few failures a month?

Rya Nitely wrote:

...and DD has only just popped its little nose around the corner. We already have 21 pages. Just on the smell of it :matte-motes-confused:

And sadly, any helpful attempts to explain things to people here have been drowned out by posts of:

(a) "DD shouldn't be happening!"

>> Too late; it is.

(b) "LL are going to stuff it up, like everything else!"

>>  Always possible, but all we can to to prevent that is test it, communicate our concerns rationally, help each other understand it, and not create unnecessary drama that leaves the average merchant confused and apprehensive of it.

Rya Nitely wrote:

...and DD has only just popped its little nose around the corner. We already have 21 pages. Just on the smell of it :matte-motes-confused:

And sadly, any helpful attempts to explain things to people here have been drowned out by posts of:

(a) "DD shouldn't be happening!"

>> Too late; it is.

(b) "LL are going to stuff it up, like everything else!"

>>  Always possible, but all we can to to prevent that is test it, communicate our concerns rationally, help each other understand it, and not create unnecessary drama that leaves the average merchant confused and apprehensive of it.

Zanara Zenovka wrote:

I wish I'd been that concise. You summed it up well.

Zanara Zenovka wrote:

Paladin Pinion wrote:

Zanara Zenovka wrote:

LOL - hilarious.  Great goal for you both, though.

Paladin Pinion wrote:

Zanara Zenovka wrote:

LOL - hilarious.  Great goal for you both, though.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.