Need to change my avatar from dog to human

CaptainData

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Most people who respond to all the other threads talk about changing your clothes or your appearance when "changing your avatar". I need to change from a dog to a human. I don't see anything in My Appearance that lets me do that. Do I need a new account? I want to be human.

Perhaps it's that you can't read whatever he types ^_^

To the OP: There aren't that many "starter outfits" provided. There are some, but they're pretty generic, so to "customize" your avi, you need to go shopping. Check out places like The Free Dove and Fabfree, for some great free clothing (and other) items to build a wardrobe.

If you look for a special style, ask here. My last purchase for my male alt was this promo: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/F-Sam-Complete-Avatar-PROMO-price-2-weeks-only/2809909

It is actually not bad if you don't want to look pretty like a male model. This is a more rugged face, and I like how it looks. A few years ago, you had to spend 1-2 k just for a single male skin, now it is easier for the guys.  

If you're still in Basic mode on the V2 or V3 viewer, you have a severely crippled access to inventory and other normal features of Second Life. Quit the Viewer, and when you re-start, there should be an option on the screen for Basic or Advanced mode. Choose Advanced, quit again and when you log in the next time, you'll have a great deal more that you can do.

In the full inventory, there's a section called "Library", that has a lot of free stuff in it that every account gets. You can find a variety of outfits of clothing there. Free.

Hello CaptainData and welcome to SL Forums. I assume you logged in Basic Mode with Viewer 3. In Basic Mode you can easily change your avatar to an animal, robot or vehicles. 60 totally default avatars there. To change again in human, click My avatar --> Change your avatar one the left --> People --> Click on an image there to change your avatar. That's all. After your first steps in SL and when you feel ready you can switch in Advanced Mode (you have a button at the up and right corner of your monitor) where you have more options. Have fun and enjoy your SL.

I have a ton of skins & shapes in my inventory, including a humminbird & a snow leopard. All you have to do is wear the new skin & shape of a human. If you don't have any skins or shapes in your inventory already, there are hundreds to choose from. I have inadvertantly collected dozens of shapes & skins over the 2 years I have been here. Several of the costumes you can get come with them, for instance when I was trying on a warrior outfit I didnt look first to see if it came with a skin & shape and I accidently transformed myself into a huge black man instead of the cute little redhead that I am. You don't have to remain a dog or even get a new account.  

First, go to Edit in your Toolbar and choose Detach all. (Or click yourself and choose that.)

Now instead of wearing a dog shape, skin and eyes, you must wear a human one. You cannot detach or remove those things, you must simply put new ones over them.

You will need clothes but there should be some in your inventory library. Those will do until you can find new ones.

My blog runs through some of those basic early steps involved in setting up your avatar, getting outfits, and such:

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2010/08/08/getting-started-in-second-life/#First_Outfits

More general new user stuff:

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/category/second-life/newbie-help/

(Sigh... and just noticed that for skins, the main place I recommend people get free newbie skins closed down. But the rest of the info is still good.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.