No more sidebar!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Oh, I like this alot. Kudos to LL!! Now, if I could only get the pie menu back. The pie menu insured that you would not click the wrong thing, using muscle memory clicks. With out rightclick menus, things are always in a different place, and it is quite easy to choose the wrong thing.

I sure hope that the Pie -Menu stays where it is right now, AWAY!!

Or at least, that it is made an optional feature that can be switched on for the folks who want it.

Well, I will certainly give this a look. I like being able to eliminate the sidebar and being able to customize which buttons show and where they go. 

I'm very happy with the indication that they finally ripped the nearby chat text entry field off the bottom edge of the screen and reattached it to the nearby chat floater, just like the IM floater works.

Victoria wrote:

About the pie-menu and the sidebar: I have heard that the next iteration will have a (thankfully) optional version of the sidebar: it will be a BIG black pie menu, but it will work just like the sidebar, only round and in the middle of the screen.

It is tentatively being called the "pie bar".

ACK!! i hope you are just kidding  lol

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Victoria wrote:

About the pie-menu and the sidebar: I have heard that the next iteration will have a (thankfully) optional version of the sidebar: it will be a BIG black pie menu, but it will work just like the sidebar, only round and in the middle of the screen.

It is tentatively being called the "pie bar".

ACK!! i hope you are just kidding  lol

muahahaha!

I absolutely love this look.  Wide open window, no distractions, customizable buttons.  If I went back to an official viewer, this could be the draw.  Does need movable toasts, top right does not work for me.  Also, I am one of those who use the camera movement controls, and they are way to large.  The most fun is creating a prim, and watching it stretch beyond the 10-meter limit!  I wasn't on it long, did not try to TP anywhere, but it seemed fairly stable for me.  Didn't crash it running through different pref options. 

Oh, and I like pie!  Bring back pie! (menu)

would like to be able dock buttons to the top please

if is also possible then:

option to not have labels on bottom bar buttons (and top)

option to dock mini-location bar on menu bar next to last menu like on v1

option to have navigation buttons, back, forward and home as dockable buttons. so can just have them and not have to have location bar at same time.

option to dock listy type floaters on left or right. of main window. like inventory, appearance, places, people. also if could dock build floater on left or right then that be good as well.

option to dock nearby chat on bottom bar. so if chat button is pressed then it slide out to fill space on bottom of screen

option to align buttons. like on sides, align top, bottom, center. on topbottom then align left, right, center. 

tnks(:

is pretty good this one. i like it heaps \o/

Both Kirsten's and Firestorm have an optional pie menu. What is the worst part about the menus we have now, is that the options change. Sit is not always in the same spot. This forces you to have to focus on the menu to find the right choice. With the pie menu, you get the same exact options in all the same spots every single time. The options that do not apply are just not highlighted or able to be chosen. To me, the most important thing about UI is to make it so you almost not notice you are using it. When I have to actually stop and focus intensely on some tiny text on a screen, that is taking me out of the immersion that I'm currently in.

It is too bad that this Dev viewer has so many current bugs, like saving settings. We have way too many settings in SL to have to go back and keep redoing them, so I will have to wait for a future version. Just kinda sucks cause I really do like using it. Should not be too long of a wait tho.

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Also, I am one of those who use the camera movement controls, and they are way to large. 

Ditto, on the camera controls. I think like many people that create, the camera controls are a must on the screen. This HUGE comera control window is crazy, especially when, again, both Kirsten's and Firestorm made it a point to make these smaller, right from the start. 2 years in, and LL still has this same huge window for it's purpose. Plus, it should be able to go super transparent, as I don't really ever need it to be fully opague. I guess, I should be happy that we got both pan and rotate are on the same window.:smileyvery-happy:

"Both Kirsten's and Firestorm have an optional pie menu. What is the worst part about the menus we have now, is that the options change. Sit is not always in the same spot. This forces you to have to focus on the menu to find the right choice. With the pie menu, you get the same exact options in all the same spots every single time. The options that do not apply are just not highlighted or able to be chosen. To me, the most important thing about UI is to make it so you almost not notice you are using it. When I have to actually stop and focus intensely on some tiny text on a screen, that is taking me out of the immersion that I'm currently in."

-----------------------------------------------------

YES! On a related topic, I have frequently deleted items in my inventory because the right-click menu has a slippery order of options. Thus 'delete' is sometimes in the position of 'wear'. Getting dressed in a hurry often means deleting items instead of wearing them - with the added bonus of having to fish them out of trash and manually put them back in the right folder. Drives me crazy.

Ditto!!! I know it sounds weird, but just rightclicking on anything at all, gives me a bit of anxiety as to what might happen. Personally, at the beginning, I was happy the pie menu was gone. Getting it back in Kirsten's and Firestorm made me see just how superior it is. In many ways, I think it was part of that genius that drew me to SL. Of course, these are just my opinions and observations.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Personally, at the beginning, I was happy the
pie menu
was gone. Getting it back in Kirsten's and Firestorm
made me see just how superior it is.
In many ways,
I think it was part of that genius that drew me to SL.
Of course, these are just my opinions and observations.

Yes.   The pie menu was/is innovative and so easy to use, that I have no doubt it aided my ability to learn building in SL.    I've stated this before, but I was extremely disappointed to see LL eliminate the pie menu.  

The sheer genius of the pie menu is one the things that made SL unique and amazing.   A tool that united ease of use, functionality, and encouraged the creation process. 

i just had something strange happen when i just downloaded this new beta viewer..i scan all my files ..even form sl..

it found a few threats which never has happened before..

so i deleted the file and redownloaded..this one seemed to scan just fine..

is that strange or what? lol

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

Mark my words..........there will be a big stink about the new UI.  It'll be as if V-2/3 were the greatest UI ever and LL will be condemned endlessly for changing it. It happened with V-1............there's no reason to believe it won't happen with V-2/3.

I agree. That's just the way SL residents are really.

Look.. after much consideration, there is only 1 solution to all this and I do know I will get the support of one resident at least..

I'm going to make a jira to be rid of the pie menu and the sidebar and have them both replaced by a cheese menu.

Surely everyone will be happy with that ^^?

i like the layout of everything..i'm not too picky  really..

i mean i adjusted pretty quickly on the v2 viewers..

i can use any of them really and still be fine..

i like the room this has..i just hope that it being such a hog on frames that it's just a beta thing..

i used to be able to run shadows and on ultra and all that good stuff on kirstens and some other viewers..

i just hope they handle that part..otherwise i like it..oh and it would be nice to get some media and music filters and hopefully soon a MoaP filter..

thats one thing that kind of has me sticking with tvps over the official viewer..i mean they are getting nice features these days..

the clutter is gone for sure..now just smooth out the demand for  running it and it'll be sweetness in a bottle hehehehe

I use TPVs almost all the time, because I use -- and script -- RLV, so the official viewer isn't much good for me in everyday use.   But I'm very much looking forward to when Marine or Kitty bring out something based on this (their RLV or RLVa viewers are very close to the official viewer, with a few clever tweaks in addition to the RLV(a)).

I'd really like it if this had dockable windows that remembered where I'd docked them, and I quite miss having the chat bar down at the bottom all the time.    There's a problem with scrolling using the middle mouse key, at least in Windows, which is a nuisance, but I think LL is on to that, from some of the comments in the OS-dev list.

And, of course, I really hope the rumours I hear about a fix having been found for the Open-GL bug are true, so I can run SL using my rather expensive Nvidia graphics card on an up-to-date driver.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4611 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.