Viewer 3 in Blue Without Sidebar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sometimes I feel like I am the only person that actually likes V2 and the sidebar.  I honestly cannot fathom why all the hate for v2?  As a software developer I understand that adopting a new interface is a challenge for users, that is why I took the time and forced myself to use V2 for at least 2 weeks, and after that I'm affraid I was hooked.  I could not go back to other viewers, even Firestorm that is so close to V2, I still find frustrating since the sidebar is just not as good.

When MS Office introduced the ribbon toolbar, it was met with great resistance, but now after having adopted this new interface, people find it hard to revert to the older Office interface.  This to me is a sign of a good UI, one that takes some getting used to, but then becomes second nature after a few days.

Luschious Nightfire wrote:

[...] I honestly cannot fathom why all the hate for v2? [...]

oversized, forced positioning (somewhat mitigated now), poor contrast, inability to multitask (somewhat mitigated now), and options that open in differing screen zones to name some of the most common complaints.

Well, I'll stick to this.

screen_002.jpg

I love the sidebar, the way it slides in and out, and everything i need is there.

Cam- and movement controls are useless for me since i can do everything with keyboard-mouse-trackpad.  No cluttering here.

And this blue is so 1982. Too bad huds are in all (most awful) colors (designers here is a job to do!). If it was up to me they where in the same color scheme as the viewer is.

Well I did not asked a question in this case but I get your point! And know this, it is not that all my SL time was  in this luxury.

I do know about ancient crappy computers and huge monitors with tiny screens. The laptop i once had could not even run SL!  When the sidebar arrived I was on this crappy computer with just a tiny screen. But never the less I liked it from the beginning since I was able to close it.  

i have to say V3 with the nostalgia skin looks just like Phoenix Firestorm with the nostalgia skin minus the favourites and LM bar it's what's recommended by the phoenix team if you want to make the viewer as V1 looking as possible in something based on V2/V3 perfect if you abhor the sidebar that takes up most of the screen

I grew to like Viewer 2 and now  Viewer 3 which looks the same.  The sidebar is OK when one gets used to it but my only real criticism is that the camera controls tab is too big and intrusive.  It would also be nice if we could customise the Viewer to our own choices of colour.

I want a viewer that lets me decide what does in the sidebar and what remains a resizable floater.

There are several things I actually like to have in the sidebar.

My "picks" in a quickly accessable tab (though LL seriously needs to get rid of the "profile" tab from that, it's literally a blank box with a "Profile" button that opens your profile in a floater. Better yet, get riud of the profile tab altogether and move the "Picks" sub tab into the Place sidebar. There's room for another tab there!

Speaking of, I like the Places sidebar, the Outfits sidebar, the People sidebar. I'm also fine with the appearance editor being tucked into the sidebar.

I'd get rid of the Home tab and the Inventory tab in a heartbeat if I could. Inventory needs to be in a floater, it's just so frustrating trying to navigate it when most of the things I'm looking for are tucked so deep in folders or have such long names with version numbers at the end that I can't see anything without horizontally scrolling back and forth constantly. I use ctrl+alt+i to bring up a floating inventory window but it would be nice to save screen space by getting rid of the tab altogether or moving it to a toolbar button that brings up the floater.

The "Home" tab in the sidebar is just a waste of space. Never found a use for it.

I also much prefere the overall look of Viewer 2 and Viewer 3. The cleaner, nicer looking UI textures and graphics. 1.x looked like software from the 90's.

Still, on the whole, for all the complaints people have, Viewr 2 and Viewer 3 are only a marginable change from 1.x. For every valid complaint there's a dozen people just adverse to any change, even tho there are some valid complaints there's also a lot of improvements (like much better menu organization, no more searching under every single menu to find something that was slapped in there for God only knows what reason).

LL really could stand a much more drastic UI change. If done well it could be the greatest improvement to SL yet. The SL viewers past and present more resemble document editors than virtual world interfaces.

oh, lol so its not the viewer thats bad, its us thats just poor
:(
 heeheee

Yus, of course the viewer is perfect, it is us that is faulty lol 0722.gif

At least thats the message that comes across sometimes. When you consider how many people are in SL and how many different uses we all have for a viewer, it is ridiculous to assume that you could make one that will suit everyone. I have no problem with the fact that some people will love V2 or that some will never love it. I do find it a bit patronising when I hear people say that the only reason some people don`t like it is because they haven`t given it a chance, like they are too stupid to know what they do or don`t like, because its just not that simple. People have different tastes & thats the bottomline, you might be able to force them to use a viewer but you can`t force them to like it.

While there are still choices to be had, why force anyone to do anything? At the end of the day everyone deserves to be as happy as possible with their SL user experience & one of the things that the Phoenix team got right with Firestorm is the options. Yes it is V2 but there are options for just about everything in the viewer so users can personalise it & that has made it possible for a lot more people to "happily" switch over to V2 on a sort of hybrid between the 2. But there are still going be others that find that is still not V1 enough for them & that does not mean there is something wrong with them. We are all enitled to fight for a viewer we want to use.

Conifer Dada wrote:

I grew to like Viewer 2 and now  Viewer 3 which looks the same.  The sidebar is OK when one gets used to it but my only real criticism is that the camera controls tab is too big and intrusive.  It would also be nice if we could customise the Viewer to our own choices of colour.

Just as a question, what you need the camera controls for anyway ?

Using crtl (or ctrl+alt) and holding down the mouse button works much easier (and more precise) for me. 

Sometimes I feel like I am the only person that actually likes V2 and the sidebar.  I honestly cannot fathom why all the hate for v2?  As a software developer I understand that adopting a new interface is a challenge for users, that is why I took the time and forced myself to use V2 for at least 2 weeks, and after that I'm affraid I was hooked. 

You're not the only one to like it: I had always hated multiple floaters all around the screen in Viewer 1.x.

Maybe as a software developer you're more aware -with respect to normal users- that interfaces can be worked on improved (eg by adding optional different behaviour). The V2/3 haters often claimed the whole viewer should be abandoned just because "it has the sidebar".

Constructive feedback can instead lead to new features (sidebar tabs were not detacheable in V2.0, that happened later) and/or patches (as shown here), which again lead to noticeable improvements.

I've tried this, and I have to admit it makes using V2/V3 more bearable.

But V3 still takes more mouse clicks to do common activities than V1 ever did, and for no good reason.

The content displayed in the sidebar's panes is still severely modal and partitioned. Even when you tear off floaters, you still have to tunnel down through several layers, and back up again through those layers and back down again, ad nauseum, for any task that performs similar actions on a group of friends or inventory items or profiles - tasks that were far simpler and took far fewer steps in V1.

V3 still lacks a text entry field in the text chat floater, which they eliminated in V2 for no reason whatsoever. IM's can enter text in a field at the bottom edge of the floater, like Text chat's floater used to be able to do. But Text chat is forced to use the text entry field that is welded irrevocably to the bottom edge of the screen. That one flaw alone is the main reason I use Firestorm, because Firestorm fixed that problem.

Opensource Obscure wrote:

Constructive feedback can instead lead to new features (sidebar tabs were not detacheable in V2.0, that happened later) and/or patches (as shown here), which again lead to noticeable improvements.

I agree fully :)

V2 is like broccoli, you may not like it, but its good for you.  try it long enough and you will develop a taste for it, and soon with enough feedback form users and little improvements, before you know it you have broccoli with cheese sauce... hmmmmmm guuuud

Ceera Murakami wrote:

V3 still lacks a text entry field in the text chat floater, which they eliminated in V2 for no reason whatsoever. IM's can enter text in a field at the bottom edge of the floater, like Text chat's floater used to be able to do. But Text chat is forced to use the text entry field that is welded irrevocably to the bottom edge of the screen. That one flaw alone is the main reason I use Firestorm, because Firestorm fixed that problem.

The funny part about this is that a lot of the initial TPVs were created specifically, in part, because LL tacked on a second chat bar to the chat history floater "for no good reason".

People hated the Communicate changes, to this day I believe Cool Viewer uses the old pre-Communicate UI without the text entry welded to the chat history.

If anything, this goes to show that you can't please everyone. People want the ability to customize the UI to their liking.

Peewee Musytari wrote

Yus, of course the viewer is perfect, it is us that is faulty lol
0722.gif

At least thats the message that comes across sometimes. When you consider how many people are in SL and how many different uses we all have for a viewer, it is ridiculous to assume that you could make one that will suit everyone. I have no problem with the fact that some people will love V2 or that some will never love it. I do find it a bit patronising when I hear people say that the only reason some people don`t like it is because they haven`t given it a chance, like they are too stupid to know what they do or don`t like, because its just not that simple. People have different tastes & thats the bottomline, you might be able to force them to use a viewer but you can`t force them to like it.

While there are still choices to be had, why force anyone to do anything? At the end of the day everyone deserves to be as happy as possible with their SL user experience & one of the things that the Phoenix team got right with Firestorm is the options. Yes it is V2 but there are options for just about everything in the viewer so users can personalise it & that has made it possible for a lot more people to "happily" switch over to V2 on a sort of hybrid between the 2. But there are still going be others that find that is still not V1 enough for them & that does not mean there is something wrong with them. We are all enitled to fight for a viewer we want to use.

Thank you Peewee for the best response.

Conifer Dada wrote:

What color were you hoping for? They have Teal, Blue, Orange, and of coarse Pink. btw the camera controls on the Starlight Skins are smaller then the standard Linden Lab interface, sorry I don't have a picture of it right now.

Pink_002.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.