Do you believe that earthquake ??

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Earthquake Details

• This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude 5.9
Date-Time
Location 37.975°N, 77.969°W
Depth 1 km (~0.6 mile) (poorly constrained)
Region VIRGINIA
Distances 45 km (27 miles) E of Charlottesville, Virginia

55 km (34 miles) SW of Fredericksburg, Virginia

64 km (39 miles) NW of RICHMOND, Virginia

82 km (50 miles) NNE of Farmville, Virginia

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 10.9 km (6.8 miles); depth +/- 7.4 km (4.6 miles)
Parameters NST=390, Nph=390, Dmin=57.9 km, Rmss=1.17 sec, Gp= 47°,

M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=6

Source
  • Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc0005ild

*meows*

The first really good quake is always, pardon the pun, rattling.

There's actually a huge fault line(s) along the east coast in the U.S., the California ones are just more active. 

There is also a huge fault line along the Mississippi River, and in the 1880s the quake hit so hard the river ran backwards! True story.

Glad you are safe.

Kind of like the way everyone panics about driving on rain in California. You'd think the road was going to open up and eat them rather than being barely slick. Problem is, due to knowing other people panic, even transplants begin to worry - panicking drivers are unsafe drivers. But for someone who's driven on sheets of black ice, it's fairly amusing "OMG the road is (barely) wet!"

But there's some legit fear with a quake. We know what those can do.

Melita Magic wrote:

Kind of like the way everyone panics about driving on rain in California. You'd think the road was going to open up and eat them rather than being barely slick. Problem is, due to knowing other people panic, even transplants begin to worry - panicking drivers are unsafe drivers. But for someone who's driven on sheets of black ice, it's fairly amusing "OMG the road is (barely) wet!"

But there's some legit fear with a quake. We know what those can do.

Of course.  I was in the Bay Area when the 89 Quake hit.  Not fun.  However, the 'damage' from this one is not even close and the media are all over it like flies on a cowpie.

Melita Magic wrote:

Strange, isn't it...I guess because it's D.C. and we already feel insecure about things in general. The Dow, etc.

Well, I think also it might have been a 'first' for a lot of people, and as you said: that's scary. The Earth is not supposed to move. And any quake over about a 4.0 will get your attention depending upon the geology and the distance. I'm not surprised there's a lot of comment.

i was in world and people from NY to SC and VA and PA and all around were saying they felt it..

i live on this shelf of rock(which i can never remember the name they call it heheh) that kind of protects us against those waves..so i didn't feel anything...

it's like an island in the middle of the ocean..and we are in the middle of the island where there are now waves..

one  guy from new york said they had to get out of their building  right away..

Pep wrote:

Following the earthquake there are rumours that the effects on the East Coast energy distribution and communications infrastructure will provoke another reduction in the US Government's credit rating, which is causing the NYSE to plummet.

Pep (Sell! Sell! Sell!)

LOL :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i live on this shelf of rock(which i can never remember the name they call it heheh) that kind of protects us against those waves..so i didn't feel anything...

it's like an island in the middle of the ocean..and we are in the middle of the island where there are now waves..

Craton? A large, sometimes really large, rock formation that is a single unit—no fault lines, no multiple layers. There's a massive one in North America called the Canadian Shield.

Yesterday I noticed a gap on the sidewalk in front of my house. It looked like the sidewalk was moving north. I mentioned this to a friend who readily dismissed my observation.

Todays earthquake is the second recent earthquake in this area, the last one was in march?, I forget exactly.

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Berlin Mesmeriser wrote:

Do you believe that earthquake ??

I never trust an earthquake. Whatever it tells you, don't believe a word of it.

I just want to make it pefectly clear that I did not reply to this comment saying anything about anyone being on shaky ground. I didn't.

Davina101 wrote:

You can always move to Florida.  I prefer my natural disasters with a three or four day advance warning. ;-)

no help there, I Was in Jacksonville Fl, many years back when a small trembler came through (I say small I don't remember the magnitude, and I had lived in California previously).... I'm sitting at my desk working and suddenly people start freaking out... and I have no clue why... then I happened to glance at a shelf and notice some of the stuff rattling around..... I was so used to them in cali that it didn't even register to me lol.

your first one always takes you by surprise.... the only bad thing about them on the east coast is that they don't build with them in mind, so even little ones can cause a lot of damage.

I've so far managed to live in areas with the threat of almost every kind of natural disaster... floods, earth quakes, blizzards, hurricanes, tornadoes, tsunamis, massive lightning storms, and even volcanos (although none of those went off while I was near). I'm only missing avalanches and meteor strikes!

and I agree... hurricanes you can at least prepare for or leave and don't last long... although you usually get tornadoes and floods with them, so they're hell long after the storm moves on.

Void Singer wrote:

your first one always takes you by surprise.... the only bad thing about them on the east coast is that they don't build with them in mind, so even little ones can cause a lot of damage.

I know what you mean about building styles. I spent a few days in Reading, PA in the early nineties and seeing all the unreinforced masonry buildings freaked ME out. I always walked well out on the sidewalk.

Santa Cruz/Loma Prieta

There were a few in southern Colorado earlier that day just after midnight with the largest magnitude of 5.3.  The others close in that area had magnitudes of 3 to 4.   

The local news said that people were feeling as far north as Colorado Springs where I live.  Google says that it is 128 miles south of me off of Interstate 25.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.