What are you at Linden's doing

Kelley Foxclaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good grief, restarts every other day, a browser that is disfunctional, (Firestorm is the only thing we can trust), inventories counting differently at each login, not being able to log in, to name a few.  I pay for this service and I pay alot.  Just make it stable, if thats possible.

Test your stuff in another place not on us, I'm so tired of you Lindens

Kelley

Yes, I did all that browser, cache, driver crap

What system are you trying to access SL through? I have had no trouble lately, using both Linden Viewers (1.0, 2.0) on multiple machines. I am using all Macs though, maybe right now the PC version is running poorly?

Anyways It runs very smooth & fast for me lately & now I see shadows & prettier water thanks to Lindens hard work.

I have been wondering the same thing. I cannot use any of the Official viewers either. they just wont connect at all and crash back to desktop. I had to download firestorm just to play. in all honesty this makes linden labs look inept in my eyes.

i just downgraded my account to basic over this. i do not mind supporting the company if they were doing there job! but this s just stupid.   you should not have to resort to using a 3rd party viewer to play the game !

If you are having that much trouble, why are you paying "a lot"? 

Why not give an accurate discription of the problems you are having?  I mean what does "restarts every other day" mean?  You saying the servers are restarting every other day?  A sim restarting?  Your viewer (though that is something that is very unlikely to happen)?.  Or your computer?  Each of those indicate something entirely different...........and it's something I have an extremely difficult time believing.  I think you are just unhappy with SL............so stop paying is my suggestion.

Restarts mean server restarts, Magnum, etc...  It seams like everytime I log into me land they have done a rolling restart.  If I stop paying I lose my payed assets.  Wait, so you are all not experiencing difficulty?  Oh, it must just be me. 

Paperdoll  tell me you haven't seen a problem

A sim restart, you have never seen one?  LOL

V 2 is a piece of work.  Come on your SL is a perfect world?

No real problems here with the 2.0 viewer. It has been ages since I crashed (that has been different in the past).

I am running SL on a i7 desktop with Windows 7 64bit, 8mb memory and on a wired 120mb/10mb connection. I know that is not a typical low end configuration.

Only annoyance I have is that old "hair on your butt" is back (but then again, detach your hair and wear it again... all is good again).

Edit: LOL... I just noticed that I seem to be a "new resident". True, it has been ages since I posted on the SL forums, but I am around since December 2005 :P

Actually SL is not a perfect world.  It's a virtual world under construction...........since 2002.  Rolling restarts are done to introduce new code for the platform........that old adage "if you are standing still, you are going backward" is very much in play with any virtual world (you'll just have to get used to it as long as LL continues to move forward........and, for now, that seems to be the case for the foreseeable future).

No, I really haven't seen much a problem.  Rolling restarts are done on a scheduled basis.........and those schedules are posted (you might want to keep up on those if you are so into the "game").  I do have a request though.  Paperdoll sounds so silly all by itself.  Most people (the ones not trying to insult) would call me Peggy, Peggy Paperdoll, or maybe Ms Paperdoll.............but whatever flips you skirt hem.

Sim restarts.  Yeah I've seen a few.  In fact, I've initiated quite a few in my SL lifetime.  It's part of helping to keep the sims running so others can enjoy them.  They typically last about 3 minutes.

Viewer 2 is actually a pretty good viewer.  I use it exclusively now since I got tired of trying to keep caches separated (that, in my mind should not be a problem, but since the TPV developers don't take the time with their coding to put their caches in a location other than where LL put their cache location I just decided I had to make a choice.......V-2 won).

I've been in SL too freaking long to worry about the small stuff.  You might take that tact..........it's a lot less stressful.  And SL suddenly becomes fun again. 

I still think you should consider dropping to basic.........seems you take it way too seriously and with the money you put into SL you'll get some heart attack.  Just looking out for your well being.:matte-motes-big-grin:

If you are unhappy, then why pay money...........heck if you are unhappy why are you still here?  Doesn't make sense to  me.  Did you know that there are super markets that I don't shop at?  I wasn't happy with them........so they don't get my money.  But I don't place a free classified ad in the local newspaper bitching about it.  That would only show the world how stupid it is to pay money for a product you are not happy with. 

Think about it.

Kelley Foxclaw wrote:

Restarts mean server restarts, Magnum, etc...  It seams like everytime I log into me land they have done a rolling restart.  If I stop paying I lose my payed assets.  Wait, so you are all not experiencing difficulty?  Oh, it must just be me. 

Paperdoll  tell me you haven't seen a problem

A sim restart, you have never seen one?  LOL

V 2 is a piece of work.  Come on your SL is a perfect world?

The Magnum RC rolling restarts have been happening once a week for the last year at least, it didnt happen last wednesday as it was updated with mesh yesterday instead, however appart from that there have been no changes to the restarts.

I find it hard to believe you just happen to log in only once a week on a wednesday morning at 8am? (or Thursday morning as happened yesterday) Not to mention they only go down for a few minutes.

You can see the schedule for the next 50 years for the restarts here:

http://status.secondlifegrid.net/

Morwen Bunin wrote:

No real problems here with the 2.0 viewer. It has been ages since I crashed (that has been different in the past).

I am running SL on a i7 desktop with Windows 7 64bit, 8mb memory and on a wired 120mb/10mb connection. I know that is not a typical low end configuration.

Only annoyance I have is that old "hair on your butt" is back (but then again, detach your hair and wear it again... all is good again).

Edit: LOL... I just noticed that I seem to be a "new resident". True, it has been ages since I posted on the SL forums, but I am around since December 2005
:P

Your post made me chuckle. You might be a real oldbie, but I want to say Welcome to the Second Life Forums anyway. And it's good to hear your wonderful, positive attitude, even after all this time. :matte-motes-grin:

Kelley Foxclaw wrote:

Good grief, restarts every other day, a browser that is disfunctional, (Firestorm is the only thing we can trust), inventories counting differently at each login, not being able to log in, to name a few.  I pay for this service and I pay alot.  Just make it stable, if thats possible.

Test your stuff in another place not on us, I'm so tired of you Lindens

Kelley

Yes, I did all that browser, cache, driver crap

It's modern technology, none of it is without flaws, but Second Life is unique in that so much of it is user created, and so there are bound to be more problems than with the average "gaming platform" (or whatever you would chose to call it).

You said:

"Yes, I did all that browser, cache, driver crap"

and we can all tell from your tone that you are completely fed up with your own Second Life, and are undoubtedly not alone in your struggle for perfection.  However, for the majority of Second Life residents things run relatively smoothly, and I for one appreciate enormously how much work goes on behind the scenes.  The Linden people are constantly having to modify a running program, with minimal disruption.  (They used to have to take the grid down for several hours every Wednesday afternoon back in 2008 - things have improved a lot since then.)

Anyway, penny lecture over, let's get back to your issues which would seem to be life-threatening for you, as they are raising your blood pressure to a dangerous level (and nothing is ever worth that, especially a virtual reality world!).

List your issues please, one by one, calmly, and don't be dismissive of the advice you will be offered. I believe most of the problems you appear to be having are ones you can take responsibility for. If you continue to show contempt for everything and everyone around you, then you are less likely to get the help you need.

I can only agree.

The logic at San Fransisco, Battery street ?! Me too rolling my eyes. V2 never has gratified me actually. I changed to 2 in Dec. last year. With 2.4 i had micro freezes ever other 5 seconds or so which was utter and utter annoying. Then 2.5 came along... freezes, freezes and freezes. 2.6 came... didn't work properly. 2.7.2 that finally worked for me but it had a beta search. And then 2.7.3 lowered my fps ~10. Not to worry i still had 30-40 fps. And then finally 2.7.4 dropped my fps to 5-7 and there was no way to get it normal again. 

So many i speak inworld today have gone back to 1.23.5. It is fluent and silky smooth. Pheonix isn't very well either, it has become terribly slow to all users i have spoken lately.

All the new featues are nice, but sofar i really haven't desired them really. Avatar physics is hilariuos. Not needed when wearing underwire... I prefer to have inworld fun instead of spending hours fighting showstop annoyances.

I think one of the problems is that a few power users have become a dominant voice for LL to follow their needs... that's what i think and clearly see happen.

Mesh is about to come i agree, but we'll see. 

Going back to that old viewer would rob me of so many things i don't even wan't to get started about it. But on the top of that list are features that make look SL better for me. 

I'm using V 2.7.6, i don't crash, it's running smoothly and fast.

And i am definatly NOT a power user (running on a 5 or 6 year old compy). ;) 

Restarts happen weekly, unless a serious flaw has made it to the grid in which case of course they roll again. I use LL's standard V2, LL's Development Viewer (Snowstorm), LL's V2 Developer (mesh) viewer, Firestorm, and KirstenLee's V2 depending on what I need to do on any given day in my SL, and they all work pretty well. Since clearing cache didn't help your viewer stability you probably need to read the wiki for your favorite viewer and adjust your settings. Well, that and chill a bit because SL has been this way as long as I've been inworld since 2007. In fact SL is remarkably better than it used to be.

Well... when you live in Magnum you're in a Release Channel, a test ground, for new software. The estate owner has likely chosen to be in the channel to get new fixes ahead of the curve and to help with testing. If you're the estate owner, you should know you can request removal from the Release Channel. If your just a resident, pick up and move to a new region. Duh!

That you apparently don't know these things, addressed your complaint to the Lindens and then put it  in the user forum, and basically vented your frustration in the place least likely to get you positive results... leaves you looking pretty lame.

You may not have noticed, but you haven't been provided much help by the user base here. Poor attitude often results in people muting you and moving on. 

A few others have chimed in, me too. I suggest they consider my words too.

As to what the Lindens are doing... They have been pulling the system apart and repairing problems residents have dealt with for years. In the past year 10's of thousands of bugs and problems have been solved. Things we have been asking be fixed are being fixed. Changes to Viewer 2 are being made per user requests and features requested by users are being added. Not everything we want. Viewer 2 is not for everyone. But, I run it and it works. 

You should at least be running 2.8.1 if you use V2. If you want stability, V1.23 is the most stable viewer available. But, it lacks so much of what is available in SL now that I can't see why anyone would use it.

I run the development viewers most of the time. Currently 2.8.4. I suspect they have more debug code than the main release and they tend to run a bit slower, 25 FPS. On average across all viewer models; main, beta, development, developer's, mesh project, direct delivery project, and others there are over 100 new builds per day. I haven't looked at build iterations for servers but there are a lot of them. The majority of all those changes are for the sake of stability and better performance.

Mesh is a feature being added. Users have requested mesh for years. Also, the competitive nature of virtual worlds is demanding it. The Lindens are adding it. Much of the SL system has had to be rebuilt to accommodate it. We are now in the last weeks of Mesh Roll Out and bug fixes and tweaks are coming quickly. So, you are going to see restarts as the Mesh Prep is worked on.

Those that are paying attention to what's going on have seen the performance graphs improve. Those that know what region crossings used to be like, know how much it has improved. 

There are new things coming. SL still has a load of bugs. There are still problems and SL has its bad days and really bad days.

But, if you want free, run a simulator on OSGrid. If you just want to vent, do it some place where it has a chance to do some good.

@ Peggy

Firstly I think Kelley is a little hyped up over some fairly rough rides that recent restarts have given some sims.  I had to get ours moved twice recently to find a stable server for a homestead, thanks to some unforseen bugs.

The last two rolls have been as smooth as a billiard ball, so that was OK.

As to caches, TPV (well Phoenix at least) give users the option to put their cache wherever (within sensible limits) they wish so that is just plain wrong. V2 code is OK (not great, but adequate), the interface was dreadful, and is now barely acceptable, but a lot of it is personal taste.

SL is a growing changing environment, but it has not been managed well at times, and that IS down to Linden Lab, who could and should have done better.  We take a bit of the rough with the smooth, but sometimes I feel that the drive to innovate obscures the need to stabilize.  It'd be nice to have some time after the introduction of a new feature to "get used" to it before the next "shiny" is introduced.  LL have a habit of bringing half-developed ideas to the grids and forcing us to  live with them while they are beaten into the shape they should have had at the outset.  We are not all innovation junkies.

Some of the platitudes you quote are just plain fatuous - your comment about moving forwards just illustrates my point.  I don't find it fun when I need to upgrade my PC just to keep pace with Geeks.

Actually, it now qualifies as the longest running paid beta in history, and unlike most betas things are not getting better.  So I think maybe these people do have a right to ask what is going on, though I do not blame the problems on Oskar and the reatarts but on the people that are preparing the material for them to load on the servers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.