Viewer 2 & Viewer 1 Display Differences

WADE1 Jya

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I like to build in Viewer 1 best... I know a lot of others do too.

I've been building something in SL lately & once I saw it in Viewer 2, I was happy I looked at it there early -- before continuing onwards closer to product release. The way prims join together can look different!

For example, something simple like two tapered cylinders overlapping, you might have ugly seams in viewer 2, whereas everything looks perfect in Viewer 1!

:matte-motes-sour:

It's best to check over all your items in both viewers for now, and tweak & optimize much more towards Viewer 2, since this is the future viewer everybody will be using soon enough.

Just thought I would pass that along, might help someone out who isn't already aware of the display gap.... :matte-motes-asleep-2:

Hmm... I don't use TPVs --- ever --- so I have no idea, sorry :matte-motes-bashful:

All TPVs will be forced to adopt Viewer 2 (at least in internals, not the GUI) soon. We will reach a point sometime this year where Viewer 1 will be essentially a thing of the past, except for as a builder/development platform perhaps... it won't be generally supported for many things.

holy cow - you should sample Phoenix.  Way better.

I'm not sure what internals and GUI are, but was just wondering if there would be differences like that when Phoenix changes to the viewer 2 system. 

It's pretty clear that is what most are using.  If you use that, it will tell you above everyone's head, which viewer they are using.

@amarock: I would try it but...     I get scared :matte-motes-bashful:

Maybe I just sounds crazy paranoid but I want to give my account access data to as few parties as possible.

Linden Lab gained my trust (somehow). No third-party viewer development group has managed to do that so far.

I know there is some very cool viewers around.

Maybe I'll sneak onto one with a throw-away alt sometime & play around :matte-motes-grin:

@Mickey: As I understand it those graphic differences will show up no matter which viewer you use. GUI is basically the parts you interact with like the dashboard, etc. Internals would be the guts of the viewer that process things inside for you, including how it displays content.

The differences aren't huge, but its the kind of thing that picky builders might want to tighten things up.

WADE1 Jya wrote:

@amarock: I would try it but...     I get scared :matte-motes-bashful:

Maybe I just sounds
crazy paranoid
but I want to give my account access data to as few parties as possible.

Linden Lab gained my trust (somehow). No third-party viewer development group has managed to do that so far.

I know there is some very cool viewers around.

Maybe I'll sneak onto one with a throw-away alt sometime & play around :matte-motes-grin:

Too bad - Firestorm is already awesome and its still in Beta 2.

LL is the one i trusted that ended up not protecting my account when my account got Phishing attacked in their forums.

I wonder why you trust them???

I've been building with viewer 2 for quite a while and haven't particularly noticed any obvious deifference between how builds look in V1 vs V2. If you have specific examples with screenshots, it might be a good idea to raise a JIRA in case there is a particular bug at play.

It sounds to me (with my admittedly limited knowledge) that its some sort of rendering issue that could be a result of differences between settings you have in V1 vs V2. For example, jagged edges are often a result of a lack of anti-aliasing. It's possible you have anti-aliasing set in V1 but not in V2 graphics preferences.

As you rightly say though, V1 is on it's last legs. When mesh comes (looking August time i believe) that will pretty much be the death knell for V1 as it won't even render mesh objects, and there are already some new enhancements that don't work in V1. LL have also stated that it's likely that other things will start to break in V1 as new developments are focussed on in V2.  In light of that, I don't think it's wise to spend too much time worrying how things look in V1 and concentrate on how they look in V2. The Phoenix team are apparently ploughing along with their V2 Firestorm and acknowledge that V1 is on it's last legs, as are other TPVs. I know some people still love V1 but now has to be the time to at least get used to V2 (either official or TPV version) or you risk being left struggling to learn the new V2 stuff with no alternative when V1 finally does become unusable.

@ Toysoldier: I guess because although they've really flubbed things up on me a couple times, after nearly 5 successful years here, Lindens have earned my trust! :matte-motes-grin:

I didn't know you got phished Toysoldier! I am very sorry to hear that. Yikes :matte-motes-stress: Looks to me like they recovered your account okay though (since you are still here), any loss of inventory or anything from that?

Gotta be real careful anywhere online I think :matte-motes-not-entertained:

WADE1 Jya wrote:

@ Toysoldier: I guess because although they've really flubbed things up on me a couple times, after nearly 5 successful years here, Lindens have earned my trust! :matte-motes-grin:

I didn't know you got phished Toysoldier! I am very sorry to hear that. Yikes :matte-motes-stress: Looks to me like they recovered your account okay though (since you are still here), any loss of inventory or anything from that?

Gotta be real careful anywhere online I think :matte-motes-not-entertained:

MY account was Phished as well as several other SL account within the previous SL Forums when users like me who were already authenticaled into the forums, were hacked by a fake LL message that seemed to have got thru the LL Forums security via the linked images.

YEAH You are right WADE - with LL you got to be real careful with your security online since you can even be phishing attacked WITHIN LL's secured and authenticated system.  I have expereienced and not fallen for countless Phishing attacks - because 99% of them are outside a secured and authenticated system.  This attack was able to occur inside LL's secured site.

It was because of this breach of security why for almost a year, MOST ppl lost their ability to attach image signatures in forum posts (even though LL decided that a rare few forum users were still allowed to keep their attached image signatures - rofl this is LL security... its a risk so lets shut it down except for a few of you that already have it in place).

Because of the Phishing attack, my ID and Password were posted in the general SL Forums (along with several other victims).  It wasnt LL that saved my butt Wade... it was the quick thinking of a couple fellow Merchants who knew quickly what was going on and purposely logged into my account with the exposed password and changed it and disabled it then sent me emergacy IMs telling me what they did to protect my account.

It took several hours later for me to get ahold of someone at LL (a real voice) that later helped me re-enable my account and reset the password.  That is the only GOOD thing LL did.  Remember I am just a guest account at SL.

So you can state that you trust LL... I know for experience that you cannot trust LL.  You are successful and so am I successful in SL despite LL, not Because of LL.  Put it in perspective.

As for the Phoenix Firestorm, it is really impressive and its only in Beta 2.  LL's Beta 2 of anything with have been riddled with unworkable bugs.

@suella...  Yes Mesh is likely showing up later this summer BUT, as many of the Sculpty making community is already saynig... MESH will be DEAD AT BIRTH simply because of LL's PE costing model (Prim Equivilent).  So unless LL wakes up and realizes almost no Sculpty maker will be incented to build any MESH models because rezzed meshes will be too SIM Costly for any customer to want, the Mesh market will be a small market (except for wearable mesh prims where PE costs have no factor on sim prim land costs).

I make Landscape sculpty maps... as much as I would love to build much higher detailed mesh versions of my mountains, cliffs, rocks, shorelines waterfalls, etc... with actual no-bounding-box limits, who will want to rez a 1000+ prim mountain mesh versus a 1 prim sculpty mountain?  NOT MANY.

Not to mention that prior to Meshes coming live, LL has to also deploy the increased scalable Prim sizes from 10x10x10 to the planned 65x65x65.  Meshes do not work on Mega prims and although they can be huge beyond 10x10x10, they can only be the size that the mesh builder made them in the 3D tool.  This is a huge limit for us landscape sculpty builders.

So... MESH might technically be out but most will not care at first and it will not be a reason why residents will upgrade viewers to V2 from V1 (just like most SL residents didnt move on masse to V2 because of multi-media textures).

Good point Toysoldier!

At those sad times when Lindens let me down in a serious way, it was other merchants who were most proactive in jumping to my aid, as best they could!

The level of support I have recieved here by my peers in the merchant community is incredible.

The community here is simply amazing & I love to see how we all can work together to help each other in times of any individual's need.

Still, comparing TPVs to Linden Lab, my level of trust just is not there yet enough to use TPVs. I just see TPVs as comparitively untested groups, who may or may not contain severely unethical motivations & rampant unprofessionalism. Beside this Linden Lab stands with more than a decade of admittedly stumbling yet overall responsible behavior.

As to this thread topic, I think what I was seeing in display differences may be down to antialiasing settings, but since I assume most users will never depart from the default settings of Viewer 2... while optimizing my work, I will highly weight towards this setting.

I've watched Phoenix give exceptional service and consideration to their users.

as far as:

"who may or may not contain severely unethical motivations & rampant unprofessionalism. Beside this Linden Lab stands with more than a decade of admittedly stumbling yet overall responsible behavior."

same can be said for merchants.  Thank goodness not everyone makes decisions that way.

Not sure what is not to be trusted.  Cash out every day, and be careful with your conversations.  Don't use the same password that you use for other venues.

I "trust" that if I have a viewer question that complicates daily business, it will be taken care of from what I've seen.  Never had a problem, though.  Can't say that about calling up LL.

eta:

anyhoo....looks like majority are using Phoenix viewer no matter what type of venue I end up at.  If I were a picky builder...I would use it.

If anyone knows for sure about if or if not TPVs could easily be collecting data, logins, credentials, etc, I would like to know.

No insult meant to any of these group of course! They are probably cool. I am just a cautious person.... & perhaps overly so :matte-motes-silly:

I am just contemplating the privacy & security situation here and feel unsure, so I follow my gut feelings & do not proceed to make use of any of them.

True, I am aware the majority of all users perhaps do use TPV systems. It is smart to view creations with the leading TPVs pre-release.

....on another machine & not with main account :matte-motes-stress:

Sorry, not related to V1, that i know of, but I been making guns and something is weird. It looks like there is another bug with the screen positions. On my desktop, the bullets come from the center of the screen. On my laptop, the bullets come from a spot just right of the center. Any1 else seen this? I just noticed yesterday.

Not that it would be easy for the average user to check, but the source code for Firestorm (V2) and Phoenix (V1) are both accessible by the public. We as users can inspect that code to see if it's collecting data and sending it to other than LL, and if we have the necessary tools installed we can compile that version for our own use.

For those who have network savvy, you can check the packets sent by your viewer and see what they contain and where they go. The data may or may not be encrypted, but the destination is clear.

Do Firestorm and/or Phoenix send data to places outside LL?

DK, DC

• 1 month later...

Viewer 2 STINKS STINKS STINKS and I have been playing since 2007.  Phoenix was awesome but SL ruined that. I can not and still have not found my stupid groups.  Everything is harder to find and use.  I put up the move around buttons and soon as I do anything else they poof. 

It takes me forever to build anything that I used to build in minutes. The friends list is enormous and not practical at all. PLEASE give us back our old interface and stop trying to modernize, it is trash TRASH.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.