SL vs IMVU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

AmyNevilly wrote:

I guess so, but why then does it have so many users? There's lots of chat rooms with that sort of thing on the internet...

I'd say because they advertise at all major websites that youth visit and its easyly accessable. So young people choose imvu instead conventional 2D chat rooms and chat rooms were always popular. 

AmyNevilly wrote:

I don't get it. My friend plays IMVU all the time and it looks boring to me? Am I missing something? :matte-motes-kiss:

Hi, I don't think you are missing anything. IMVU looks like a virtual world but it is really only chat rooms, and the possibilities are very limited. Second Life is the real deal.

Yes that is what I thought.

I do see this sort of chat room thing going on in some busy clubs too in SL. It's sort of like some areas are for exploring and others (because of lag) are chat rooms. I think though that as internet gets better maybe our 'chat rooms' will become better than IMVUs because of reduced lag maybe hmmmm

I think it is just another business model maybe?

I mean - you can either run a low-overhead model and try to get profit by minimising costs. Or, you can run a high overhead model and hope that effective advertisement will make back your costs. 

Thing that SL users don't see I think is how EXPENSIVE advertising is. Must cost them a lot.

I tried IMVU once and never did like chatting with people there because everyone was underaged and would talk about trivial things that annoyed me or they would try to animate my avatar constantly and I couldnt stop them. I ended up making some clothes there and when that got boring, I quit.

Bactine wrote:

I tried IMVU once and never did like chatting with people there because everyone was underaged and would talk about trivial things that annoyed me or they would try to animate my avatar constantly and I couldnt stop them. I ended up making some clothes there and when that got boring, I quit.

They have animations? But... isn't IMVU for kids?

How can they have animations I thought that those are allowed only for adults.

AmyNevilly wrote:

Thing that SL users don't see I think is how EXPENSIVE advertising is. Must cost them a lot.

Well, they could just start a bunch of threads here in the Forums and put nice big banners in their sigs. Voila! Free advertising! Imagine the possibilities! Zero impression costs and a single thread could in effect become one huge banner ad!

Interesting that you and Amy didn't research IMVU when you started your advertising network.  I mean, no offense, but you sound really clueless about it....especially considering the business you're in.

I know I would have done more research, but I'm weird that way.  I do love to research.

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

Interesting that you and Amy didn't research IMVU when you started your advertising network.  I mean, no offense, but you sound really clueless about it....especially considering the business you're in.

I know I would have done more research, but I'm weird that way.  I do love to research.

I was in IMVU once a lot of years ago. Don't remember much from my try there. I remember that it was quite cute and I think that I even kissed some girl there but it was nothing like Second Life. Where you can use animations :matte-motes-dead:

Don't know now if they improved animations in IMVU haven't been there and honestly I don't have time to research IMVU (too busy hoarding food and preparing for economic crisis). What I know is that IMVU doesn't have scripting engine like LSL in Second Life and you can't really grow a million USD worth business there while in  Second Life you can.

What I really noticed at IMVU is that they are much more present with ads all over internet while except some failed attempts I haven't seen any ADS from Second Life on internets. 

Due to success of IMVU ad campaigns I can see that it works at boosting popularity of business because IMVU in reality doesn't have anything interesting.

Yes I think that Second Life is the best mmo. Second Life is definitely better than IMVU imho....

Really though I do think that Second Life should advertise more in order to beat IMVU - just my personal view...

But yes, I agree that Second Life is better because of the scripting features that lets you create more content.

Thanks, done.  No more sigs for me right now.  YAY!  Those flashing coins were bothering my eyes, and I have no desire to go on any hunt of any kind; it's not my thing, but I needed those flashing banners to stop.  YAY, done, gone!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.