SL vs IMVU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't mind sigs at all, but those flashing ones were definately hurting my eyes.  They should allow sigs, but please no flashing ones; that's too hurtful on the eyes, at least my eyes do not like seeing those flashing things; I was getting eye strain from 'em.  So sigs are on off for now. 

oh btw, looks like I just got recognised for my contribution!!!!

As the result of your contributions to the community, you have earned a new rank. Your new rank is Member. To learn more about ranks and roles on Community.secondlife.com, please visit here.

Congratulations, AmyNevilly!

awww congratulation Amy. :matte-motes-smitten:

I am only Honored Resident in rank :matte-motes-impatient:

Resident can:

• Use a signature
  • Use simple HTML in posts and signatures
  • Use uploaded images as their avatars
  • Upload images
  • Insert images they have uploaded in posts
  • Share uploaded images
  • Give Kudos
  • Include externally hosted (YouTube) videos in posts

Member can:

• Add a tag
  • Comment on KB articles

AmyNevilly wrote:

oh btw, looks like I just got recognised for my contribution!!!!

As the result of your contributions to the community, you have earned a new rank. Your new rank is 
. To learn more about ranks and roles on Community.secondlife.com, please visit 

Congratulations, AmyNevilly!

100 posts   and the forum bot gives you the M

CEKA BIDNESSES

Come on down an get a mobile home or don't we don't care INC.

CEKA's GYNOCARAGIST INC.

GOOD CREDIT,BAD CREDIT no matter to us..we get ya to the doc faster than those other guys nomatter how broke ya are in your brand new chebby CAR!!!..

Come on down to the Unified Bonified Red house where people of all shapes colors  can buy furniture that is made for evabody in the whole \o/ world

at the RED HOUSE furncher store

Wili Clip wrote:

Big marketing budget vs. -NO- marketing budget.

But how can IMVU  have larger marketing budget then
Second Life
??

I don't get it.. 

Because SL has -NO- marketing budget.

If I gave the local kids 25-cents to walk across the street and tell one person 'hey go try IMVU' - I would have just spent more money advertising IMVU than LLs spends on SL in a year.

Venus Petrov wrote:

/me wonders if Pussycat's finally figured out that these two characters are spamming all over the forum

Don't see anyone else posting anything interesting today.

If it takes a pack of spammers to start a good topic, so be it. Ignore them and run with the topic anyway.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

/me wonders if Pussycat's finally figured out that these two characters are spamming all over the forum

If it takes a pack of spammers to start a good topic, so be it. Ignore them and run with the topic anyway.

Nah it is just a good topic. That what it is.

IMVU is an interesting topic.

LL clearly has some funds for marketing they're known for notorious ads  with puppies or ozimal bunnies back then where those were popular.

But it had no effect. People that have never tried SL  just don't understand why would they want to  have a bunny in virtual world and feed it :-) 

Also please be more carefull when you're naming people as spammers. This topic is of public interest and you too are taking part in it. If you don't like the topic or people who made it then you have a liberal choice not to engage in it or read another topic. But do not offend people with calling them spammers falsely.

This word has a very negative meaning in todays world. Its offensive.

definition: Electronic junk mail or junk newsgroup postings. Some people define spam even more generally as any unsolicited e-mail.

A few people I know use IMVU a lot and several people who came to SL from IMVU. One thing I've learned from them is that most IMVU users considered IMVU prettier and more capable than SL. 
 Yes, you read that right. IMVU users often think that IMVU has much better graphics than SL. Not even slightly, we're talking substantially.
 On one occaission a friend of mine who uses IMVU was showing off screenshots of my recent builds in SL at the time to people she knew in IMVU. One of these people declared, "That's not SL. I've used SL and it does not look like that."
 Whether certain elements of the SL community like it or not, this is how a lot of people feel about SL. From LL's marketing to the new user experience, people are given a very strong impression that SL is ugly and incapable of good graphics.
 I've even had Lindens react to my own SL screenshots like that. "Wow, what game is that from?" "Um, that's something I'm building in SL." "THOSE are SL screenshots?!"
 Combine this less than stellar impression of SL's graphics with an extremely sharp learning curve (SL has never had a proper new user tutorial) and IMVU's popularity should not be surprising.

Kenbro Utu wrote:

So, I see the ignore feature is not working here... Oh well, manual ignore engaged. 

probably because they never made one (the feature with that label only stops PMs)

if I could be bothered to really care I'd flag all their posts as stealth marketing ploys.... but it's probably more effective to let them have at it... It's a great indicator of how ineffective it is and exactly whom to avoid

PS

IMVU lives on external advertising, so yeah they do have a bigger budget... LL can make most of their money inhouse.

IMVU vs SL: we're talking apples and oranges here. On the surface they seem similar but a closer examination shows that they're very very different. As for advertising budget, IMHO LL doesn't want people flooding in Habbo Hotel / IMVU style for one simple reason: the grid and asset servers would probably melt under the strain. Those of you who are old enough will remember the bad old days of grid-wide stress testing and concurrency peaks. The grid would slow down / lag badly / crash / etc.

Disclaimer: I've never logged into IMVU. That said, I really want SL to succeed because it's a platform for the imagination in the way that other MMO's and such like can only dream of. Hopefully LL will solve their concurrency ceiling issues. Once that happens then they can safely motor ahead with all the advertising they can throw around.

I suspect that one issue that keeps SL concurreny numbers low is the rquirement for high-end graphics and powerful computers to even have a passable experience in SL. This is another issue that really needs to be addressed. I know all the arguments about realtime rendering, etc., etc. No doubt they're all true.

Here's a thought that just ocurred to me: split the rendering load between the client and server. Long-term objects [for examples' sake anything over 1 day old] are rendered on LL's servers. Short-term objects are rendered on the clients' computer. Any techies out there able to explain if such an idea would work [or not] and, if so, how and why?

• 7 months later...

Heya mate. you know the SL online marketplace has a kind of wishlist right? not one that others can see, but it saves the items you want. And for a blank photo background did you ever try making a plain hollowed box with the "Fullbright" box checked in the build menu box and then placing your avatar inside that plain box to take pictures of your avatar with a plain background? Should have the same effect as IMVU's plain default background :3 Hope that helps some with your problem ^,^

Nah it is just a good topic. That what it is.

Also please be more carefull when you're naming people as spammers. This topic is of public interest and you too are taking part in it. If you don't like the topic or people who made it then you have a liberal choice not to engage in it or read another topic. But do not offend people with calling them spammers falsely.

This word has a very negative meaning in todays world. Its offensive.

definition: Electronic junk mail or junk newsgroup postings. Some people define spam even more generally as any unsolicited e-mail.

Your definition of spamming is from around 1996.

In my opinion, It's certainly not as good as Second Life in any shape or form. I have an account overthere.

One thing IMVU have over Second Life....is a very smart management team, a CEO who knows how to market their product to the maximum. How long have you seen IMVU banner advertisements across the Internet? 3 or  4 years right....and during a recessionary period, when you need to advertise most. IMVU invested in Marketing & Advertising....and are reaping the rewards. In 2009 IMVU had peak logins around 60-70k.....it has hit 150k in 2011.!! How about Second Life during that same period?

• 5 months later...

Hola, llevo años en SL y  se escuchaba hara casi 4 años de la desaparicion de SL siendo reeplazado por IMVU por lo que quiero recordar que cree mi cuenta vinculada con SL... No me acordaba de esto hasta que por curiosidad hice una busqueda en google con mi nombre de avatar y, mi sorpresa fue encontrarlo y con un escrito en la pagina principal que desearia borrar ya que es de un pasado causandome problema en el presente!! El angustia es que ni me acuerdo de la passeword y del correo electronico creyendo que seria el mismo que tengo en SL. Por favor, necesito saber como podria hacer o a quien debo contactar para resolverlo... Muchas gracias por vuestra ayuda.

I have been round most of the worlds and all fall short for setting up a business, I was even given a free sim at one, but the script was so unstable that when the world only had 6 in it my script got the blame for things that was later found to be the fault of the server or ignorance on perms, as soon as I got them to admit that my script was perfect and the fault was theirs I closed the sim there and moved out, these other worlds are ok if your here to just meet people but until they have the same quality as second life they can forget any good scripted products, well for the likes of me, I am a script writer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.