Political Billboards on Mainland

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
56 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Is this just for abandon or public land? I was under the impression that private land they can have them.

Then again maybe I read things wrong.. hehehe

It was for everyone, everywhere.

Wait..even on Private Regions?!?!?  Not just on Mainland?

• Like 2

This topic has been previous discussed here in the Land section.

My takeaway was that the TOS says no political stuff for ad farms and network advertisers. There seems to be no prohibitions for privately owned mainland. If there is, in fact, such  a prohibition, please share the reference.

On the other hand, the AR system does have a category for "Harassment > Targeted behavior intended to disrupt". If you believe a political display is a a form of griefing, you might make that case to Governance.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

My takeaway was that the TOS says no political stuff for ad farms and network advertisers. There seems to be no prohibitions for privately owned mainland. If there is, in fact, such  a prohibition, please share the reference.

See this thread:

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

See this thread:

That was the new rule concerning concerning ad farms and networked advertisers. The language in that TOS update does not include privately owned parcels on Mainland. If there is some more recent language in TOS that does apply to private parcels on Mainland, please provide THAT reference.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:

I believe private land can be as political as it wants to be.

That might be what I was reading, that they are allowed  in private regions and not allowed anywhere on mainland.

It's been awhile since I read on it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

That was the new rule concerning concerning ad farms and networked advertisers. The language in that TOS update does not include privately owned parcels on Mainland. If there is some more recent language in TOS that does apply to private parcels on Mainland, please provide THAT reference.

It was updated back in 2020.. I guess this part that i put in bold was added back then. I'm not sure what else was added. This is just for all of mainland and not private regions.

In addition, advertisements must comply with these requirements:

• They must be grounded to the terrain, not floating.
  • They must extend no higher than 8 m from the ground.
  • They must contain no rotating or flashing content and no particles.
  • They must not dispense unsolicited IMs, note cards, landmarks or content.
  • They must emit no light sources or glow (full bright is acceptable).
  • Advertising hoardings must be Phantom.
  • Ad content must be clearly Parcel lght G.png General in nature.
  • Ads must not contain sound or temp-on-rez content.
  • Ad content may not be political in nature.
  • Ban lines should be switched off.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It was updated back in 2020.. I guess this part that i put in bold was added back then. I'm not sure what else was added. This is just for all of mainland and not private regions.

I think it is specifically for ad farms,

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers

So if I wanted to hang a sign of political nature on my lawn (I wouldn't) I could put it on my lawn as far as my understanding, then we get into all of the theatrics as to what exactly is political, at this point, straws are considered political by some people, even gender is considered political, and everything can be considered political.  It is getting ridiculous.

/me places sign of cat playing with yarn.

/me observes political fanatics in an uproar.

/me runs away.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

When is a "Political Sign" an "ad", and when is it NOT an "ad"?

As far as I comprehend ads, it is usually an exchange of money to post information regarding a product someone is offering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

The language is highly ambiguous; Ceka has quoted the most relevant bit above. The rules define "ad farms," which would obviously not apply to most mainland holdings, but goes on to list other restrictions "In addition." And one of those is that content can't be "political" -- whatever that means.

8 minutes ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

Ceka, those rules specifically apply to networked advertising on mainland parcels. Different rules may apply to personal advertising expressing a political preference, that is, non-networked advertising on mainland.

So, are you then arguing that it IS ok to have a sign that is "floating," extended more than 8m from the ground, contains "rotating or flashing content and ... particles," dispenses "unsolicited IMs, note cards, landmarks or content," and emits "light sources or glow," so long as it's not on a networked ad farm?

Because if those restrictions DO apply to signs not on ad farms, then so does the restriction against political signage.

In practice, I remember very little in the way of consequences for any of this. I believe that BilliJo complained that she had had to remove her network of signage, but it didn't impact on my parcel at all. So, I think this is one of those instances where LL is deliberately vague, and will prosecute at discretion.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Typo
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

Ceka, those rules specifically apply to networked advertising on mainland parcels. Different rules may apply to personal advertising expressing a political preference, that is, non-networked advertising on mainland.

See https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers

I was looking at this part..

==============================================================================

Advertising rules and restrictions

No one wants to be subjected to unwanted advertising — whether in the real or virtual world. Be considerate of your neighbors and avoid "ad farms."

If you operate a networked advertising business on the mainland that breaks any one of the following rules or restrictions, we will consider it to be a Terms of Service violation leading to disciplinary action that can include account suspension and loss of land.

• No more than fifty (50) locations containing advertising on the mainland may be owned and/or operated by any single individual or organization, whether through a personal account or a group account, unless you have obtained written permission from Linden Lab to exceed this limit.
  • No more than one advertisement is permitted by any single individual or organization (whether through a personal account or a group account) in any single region.
  • You should consider an "advertisement," as we’re using the term here, to be the common understanding of that term, including any content that explicitly promotes any space, good or service (whether in Second Life or elsewhere).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

PS. Try putting up a political sign on your front lawn in Belli. I'd be interested to hear how that goes over.

A vote for Kanye is a vote for.......eehhh, I can't remember, I think that was 2020 when he was running.. hehehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

So ... are giant political signs and billboards allowed on mainland or not .. because I report them and they don't go away.

I see rainbow flags and lgbtq+ and related  signs everywhere. I report them but they don't go away, and instead get put on the front page, what can I do? :D

PS. Why you post this on a friday? Prolly needs to get shut down fast.

37 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

On the other hand, the AR system does have a category for "Harassment > Targeted behavior intended to disrupt". If you believe a political display is a a form of griefing, you might make that case to Governance.

Huh, WUT? LMAO

Edited by Cynite00
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

PS. Try putting up a political sign on your front lawn in Belli. I'd be interested to hear how that goes over.

Definitely would not go over well.. I mean, the entire point of Bellisseria is for us to raise mole babbys!

giphy.gif

Bleh, image for video is not implied for anyone here at all.  I just liked the movie, and see parallels with Bellisseria that I find humorous.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I think it is specifically for ad farms,

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers

So if I wanted to hang a sign of political nature on my lawn (I wouldn't) I could put it on my lawn as far as my understanding, then we get into all of the theatrics as to what exactly is political, at this point, straws are considered political by some people, even gender is considered political, and everything can be considered political.  It is getting ridiculous.

/me places sign of cat playing with yarn.

/me observes political fanatics in an uproar.

/me runs away.

From the sound of it, some things aren't allowed to be advertised at all..

• Like 1