How text-only viewers might be able to save us some of us from PBR

12 hours ago, Midnoot said:

using second life text viewers to find local chat? Almost impossible and we can tell when you're doing it . Sitting there with a borked ao , logging into the same spot every single day , never moving except in small increments , never aware of visuals that happened right in front of you in world, etc. Not that this means much but we know >_  >

Most ppl can't tell the difference, cause most sims are just ppl standing around doing nothing, so I blend in pretty good, and I built my AO to be bork-proof awhile ago. I haven't experienced any major difference when it comes to chat between 3d and text-only, since that isn't really related to the visual part of SL. =P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Sure...there's loss and grief...and people express that in differing ways.

But there's no greater power than the power of goodbye -- it's a kind of power abuse -- taking the ultimate final step right off the bat without even discussing the problems or trying to understand/fix them (as we saw in numerous threads on the forum).

I'd rather see more emotionally mature people who attempt to fix problems and maintain the realization that nothing is perfect, as well as entertain the idea that they might have some blame in the problem, rather than cutting and running (or threaten to do so in a tantrum) when they don't get something they want.  I'm afraid when people behave like that I agree with the "don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out" crowd.

I can count the amount of people who are both aware of the problems and who have the skills to fix them on one hand. Only about 2 (if I am generous) or 1 (if I am stringent) are working towards fixing it.

As for the rest of the users here? When people are affected by a problem with a nature totally beyond their comprehension, they lash out in anger.

• Like 4

Having a text based option avaliable as a last resort to maintain your important relationships with friends is not a bad idea. It's not SL, but it is connection. If that is all that works for you, use it. 

Just being a chat room won't bring in new people, but if it's the only way to be a part of your friend group in the moment in SL, its worth having the option.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Having a text based option avaliable as a last resort to maintain your important relationships with friends is not a bad idea. It's not SL, but it is connection. If that is all that works for you, use it. 

Just being a chat room won't bring in new people, but if it's the only way to be a part of your friend group in the moment in SL, its worth having the option.

Well that sounds nice in theory...but I just don't think many need or want that.

Should LL allocate valuable resources for just a few people?

Edited by Luna Bliss

Look at what PBR is doing to us all, we once were all a happy family.. now PBR has us fighting among ourselves, and this was the goal of LL all along.  To divide us, and then usher in their bots and AI, to take over..

giphy.gif

I stand by an earlier statement I made, PBR is a homewrecker!  

Don't let them win, we can all beat PBR and it's intended purpose which is to break us all apart.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

We already have speedlight for that. I've chatted with you on it when I couldn't get online.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

Look at what PBR is doing to us all, we once were all a happy family.. now PBR has us fighting among ourselves, and this was the goal of LL all along.  To divide us, and then usher in their bots and AI, to take over..

giphy.gif

I stand by an earlier statement I made earlier, PBR is a homewrecker!  

Don't let them win, we can all beat PBR and it's intended purpose which is to break us all apart.

you are too much....rofl

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

So I need to have empathy by approving of a text-based viewer for 3 people, eating up valuable resources and no doubt increasing costs for all and hobbling efforts to improve in other areas that need attention?

No, you have to have empathy rather than disdain for those who are struggling with the viewers and have yet to find an alternative.  Since you have none for those people, I might ask why you're even in this thread.

I may not be having issues with the viewer nor are any of my friends.  That doesn't mean I don't feel for those who do.  Those who use SL as, perhaps, their only social contact.  Maybe for years.  A text based alternative, while not optimal, would probably be welcome and much less work/cost than the phone app.

• Like 5

Just now, SandorWren said:

We already have speedlight for that. I've chatted with you on it when I couldn't get online.

Yeah, I was going to say - don't we already have a few text viewers available? I only just learned Firestorm has that option, too.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:
2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well that sounds nice in theory...but I just don't think many need or want that.

You don't think it's necessary.  You don't need it.

It's already available, so no resources needed. You just want to see people suffer for your entertainment. 

Yes that's totally what I love to do...see people suffer and be entertained by it.    /sarcasm

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yeah, I was going to say - don't we already have a few text viewers available? I only just learned Firestorm has that option, too.

I didn't know FS has that option.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

your idea to make SL create a special text-based viewer just for lil old u and a couple others is utterly ridiculous!

I never suggested making SL create anything. =]

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:
11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

So I need to have empathy by approving of a text-based viewer for 3 people, eating up valuable resources and no doubt increasing costs for all and hobbling efforts to improve in other areas that need attention?

No, you have to have empathy rather than disdain for those who are struggling with the viewers and have yet to find an alternative.  Since you have none for those people, I might ask why you're even in this thread.

I may not be having issues with the viewer nor are any of my friends.  That doesn't mean I don't feel for those who do.  Those who use SL as, perhaps, their only social contact.  Maybe for years.  A text based alternative, while not optimal, would probably be welcome and much less work/cost than the phone app.

Sandor said we already have that...so why are we discussing it?  Oh, the dental floss woman is just stirring up the forum again.  Hmmm

And don't you tell me I have no empathy for those struggling with the viewers...I have helped many. What I don't have empathy for is you peeps on the forum who think they know what LL should be doing all the time, and blame LL unfairly, causing drive-by people to the forum possibly thinking SL is a horrible place. Arm-chair Lindens.  LOL.  Nope, no empathy for them.

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Right??? Me either. Someone posted a screenshot of it in another thread a day ago or so. Lemme see...

Yeees, check under "Mode" on the splash screen.

Some.people have and always will only use LL viewers.  It would be nice if text only were availble from LL for those people.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Right??? Me either. Someone posted a screenshot of it in another thread a day ago or so. Lemme see...

Yeees, check under "Mode" on the splash screen.

But can we get in to that on a Chromebook or phone? If i'm at my PC, I can login properly.

• Like 2

I think maybe it's time to get back to the point of this thread?

I wasn't aware that Firestorm had a text-only mode either! One minor(?) issue is that FS isn't available for mobile, which might logically be how many people would want to use text in SL.

I wonder how difficult it would be to create such an option in the new mobile viewer? It might be mostly a matter of simply "turning off" graphics?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Some.people have and always will only use LL viewers.  It would be nice if text only were availble from LL for those people.

Oh that's a good idea, definitely.

1 minute ago, SandorWren said:

But can we get in to that on a Chromebook or phone? If i'm at my PC, I can login properly.

Your guess is as good as mine on that one. I didn't even realize it was an option let alone what it looks like or how it runs on different devices! 😂

I bet it's been there in that dropdown menu forever, too. I'm just that oblivious, I tell ya.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:

It already exists. Nothing has to be allocated.

If Firestorm has managed it, it shouldn't be that difficult for LL to do?

I still think it would be most useful in mobile form -- I can see LOTS of people, and not just those having problems with PBR, finding a way to answer or send IMs in text only very useful. But I don't know how much work that would require.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:
17 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It already exists. Nothing has to be allocated.

Ok, well you guys get all this straightened out for the 3 people that will be using it, and keep the forum regulars entertained.

Me, I'm getting engrossed inworld...

I was the one who posted about FS text mode.  So here's the thing about it.  It is just the normal environment but doesn't render any graphics other than the chat/im/group/friends stuff and the char bar and used to have a black background which was fine.

However with v7, LL seems to have made the default background when there is no rendering, a kind of pink colour which when it fills the screen is garish and FS have had to take that upgrade apparently.  I had a discussion inworld about this with FS support. 

So now it's quite painful to use unfortunately and no indication about what, if anything they'll do about it.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I still think it would be most useful in mobile form -- I can see LOTS of people, and not just those having problems with PBR, finding a way to answer or send IMs in text only very useful. But I don't know how much work that would require.

I could see a text-only mode for mobile to be very useful for many for chatting only, if it were feature complete, *if*

• Like 4

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I still think it would be most useful in mobile form

Probably. But you can also log into a regular viewer on your PC and then log your alt in to take pics with your main (even my potato machine can handle running a second viewer in the background when it's text-only), position poses on furniture, or test how scripts work when a non-owner clicks on them (which is what I started using text-only for at first). Plus you can manage your store, manage groups, and keep in touch with friends struggling to adopt PBR. Me wanting to use it to play SL like a text-based adventure game is just my own very odd idea that appeals to me.

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't know how much work that would require.

Probably more then I would expect. But any text-only viewer gets to cheat big time by completely ignoring the need for having a functional rendering pipeline and then getting to proudly boast that 0 FPS is it's intended goal, lol.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I gotta be honest, though. There's a downside to this.

I remember that a guy once sent me an IM out of nowhere some years ago (you know how it is) and he was actually friendly enough and I didn't get any bad vibes, so I let him strike up a convo and we chatted for a bit. Turns out, he was pretty damn cool. BUT. Big butt. Big booty butt. I wasn't doing anything important at the time, so I suggested we go hang out and shop or hit up an event or something. He sounded FUN, so why not? Well, we couldn't. He was on a text-only viewer. From the sound of it, he didn't even have something that could run SL well enough at all, so hopes and dreams of a new bestie shattered through no fault of our own! I mean yeah we could still chat, but I kind of lost interest to be honest, lol. I have Discord for that kind of thing.

Yes, text can be good, but it does have the potential to make it difficult to really get together and hang out with people in any kind of typical SL way. Hmpf.

• Like 5