Second Life Mobile Public Beta

Daniel Voyager

As of Tuesday 25th June Linden Lab have now launched Second Life Mobile Public Beta on iOS and Android. 

It's now available for all Premium members and Premium Plus members. Soon it will become available to everyone else. 

* Public Beta official announcement 

* New Mobile website

* Second Life Mobile Public Beta FAQ

Edited by Daniel Voyager
  • Like 3

This would be awesome as it was possible to login on our own homes. clubs, shops that are located on Adult simes

Have to correct this I wasnt aware that android users can now login again at adult sims again. 

Edited by MsToya Bailey
did mention a wrong thing
  • Like 2

I tried it, and...meh?

Doesn't look anything like the images, videos or previews they have been pumping out.

Most of the sims I visit are adult in nature so no luck there.

Maybe when access to groups is allowed it might be useful for customer service but....without adult region access? Idk I mean, who is even going to use it?

I mean, it's entirely possible and perfectly allowed to install an app directly from Linden Lab rather than the App Store by installing the correct certificate. its how third party app stores are installed without jail breaking and doesn't go against any TOS to install that way.

Maybe a dumbed down version for "App Store advertising" and if you want to go adult you can install direct from LL?

Or make adult access a premium thing that you have to pay for. Theres enough NSFW apps on the IOS store that you have to pay for access to.

I just dont see this being a big thing without adult access.

I was very happy to have chance to try that APP as Premium Member....

so i did download the application on my phone... ...Logged in... and then...

This is the only thing i see on the Front screen even if i try to use that menu there on the left upper corner 

image.thumb.jpeg.01158e114abf97a3d0303907b26559ea.jpeg

AND... this is my "friend list" if i was looking to chat with anyone... 

so im not sure if that because they need to approve the profile first or something but i can not enjoy that app as it seems now... 

image.thumb.jpeg.2bb50db901b60a05091b886a73c57b29.jpeg

Edited by RhythmC
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I tried it, and...meh?

Doesn't look anything like the images, videos or previews they have been pumping out.

Most of the sims I visit are adult in nature so no luck there.

Maybe when access to groups is allowed it might be useful for customer service but....without adult region access? Idk I mean, who is even going to use it?

I mean, it's entirely possible and perfectly allowed to install an app directly from Linden Lab rather than the App Store by installing the correct certificate. its how third party app stores are installed without jail breaking and doesn't go against any TOS to install that way.

Maybe a dumbed down version for "App Store advertising" and if you want to go adult you can install direct from LL?

Or make adult access a premium thing that you have to pay for. Theres enough NSFW apps on the IOS store that you have to pay for access to.

I just dont see this being a big thing without adult access.

I agree, thoroughly disappointed of what I’ve seen. Such a shame.

I really wish I had it in me to believe in it getting better.

Gave it a spin earlier, and all I have to say is that I hope they make major changes in direction and focus.
Where Lumiya knew its users and designed an app around what most regular SL users would actually use it for (supplementing SL with a viewer, logging in to chat with friends, listen to music), the LL mobile feels like it doesn't know its user base at all.
It seems to focus on being a mediocre looking 3D experience that runs your device glowing hot and drains your battery in no time.
I ran it on both an iPad and latest iPhone and they were both glowing hot in matter of minutes, which in itself is a major turn off.
On top of that, the UX is pretty awful for chatting with friends and doing most things I'd actually want to use it for.
Personally I just need the 3D to be good enough to park my avatar near friends, and turn off the 3D to avoid the battery drain, and a good chatting experience. So for me this mobile app misses the mark in every possible way.
If they want to work on the 3D aspect, I'm sure some users will want that. But at least make it possible to turn it off for a text based experience (that is actually good for communicating), without the humongous battery drain and turning your device into a hand heater.

• Like 4

On 6/28/2024 at 12:17 PM, RhythmC said:

I was very happy to have chance to try that APP as Premium Member....

so i did download the application on my phone... ...Logged in... and then...

This is the only thing i see on the Front screen even if i try to use that menu there on the left upper corner 

image.thumb.jpeg.01158e114abf97a3d0303907b26559ea.jpeg

AND... this is my "friend list" if i was looking to chat with anyone... 

so im not sure if that because they need to approve the profile first or something but i can not enjoy that app as it seems now... 

image.thumb.jpeg.2bb50db901b60a05091b886a73c57b29.jpeg

Hi 

That is an unfortunate first experience with our mobile app! It looks like you are definitely not connected to  the grid -- or maybe you experienced a brief Internet outage? Would you be willing to try again and report back? If it happens again, please file a bug from within the app (Main menu > Settings > Give feedback or file a bug) and also report it via the feedback portal (https://feedback.secondlife.com/mobile-public-beta-bugs) JIC anyone else runs into this.

• Like 1

• Lindens
On 6/29/2024 at 2:38 PM, Misch Lameth said:

Gave it a spin earlier, and all I have to say is that I hope they make major changes in direction and focus.
Where Lumiya knew its users and designed an app around what most regular SL users would actually use it for (supplementing SL with a viewer, logging in to chat with friends, listen to music), the LL mobile feels like it doesn't know its user base at all.
It seems to focus on being a mediocre looking 3D experience that runs your device glowing hot and drains your battery in no time.
I ran it on both an iPad and latest iPhone and they were both glowing hot in matter of minutes, which in itself is a major turn off.
On top of that, the UX is pretty awful for chatting with friends and doing most things I'd actually want to use it for.
Personally I just need the 3D to be good enough to park my avatar near friends, and turn off the 3D to avoid the battery drain, and a good chatting experience. So for me this mobile app misses the mark in every possible way.
If they want to work on the 3D aspect, I'm sure some users will want that. But at least make it possible to turn it off for a text based experience (that is actually good for communicating), without the humongous battery drain and turning your device into a hand heater.

Hi Misch, thank you for your feedback! 
We'd be interested in knowing a bit more about what devices you're using, but in the meantime we might have a setting that could help:
open the developer tools (Main Menu > Settings -> Developer Tools),
scroll down until you find 'Render Scale' - if you reduce this to 50% (from the default 100%), does that help keep your device cooler? (It will make things blurrier, but should lower the GPU usage by a large amount).
And we always appreciate if you file a bugreport (Settings -> Give feedback or file a bug)  from the app - that way the team can look for what's causing the problems!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good ap so far, afraid of what kind of trolls it will bring when its released to everyone.

My problem besides the jerky screen is, I couldnt find flight controls or able to open boxes, buy stuff, or anything other then look at the screen, see pretty colors, and chat quite well with friends ( once I figured out how ) also on my Android if I turn the phone to the side I lose all the buttons, they are off screen to the point its just a little part of them like a dot. ( longways ) 

• Like 1

Just now, Florence Firehart said:

Good ap so far, afraid of what kind of trolls it will bring when its released to everyone.

My problem besides the jerky screen is, I couldnt find flight controls or able to open boxes, buy stuff, or anything other then look at the screen, see pretty colors, and chat quite well with friends ( once I figured out how ) also on my Android if I turn the phone to the side I lose all the buttons, they are off screen to the point its just a little part of them like a dot. ( longways ) 

Oh forgot, can we have an optional icon go near the persons name who are on mobile ? And a way to block inspect the characters attachments.

• Like 1

• Lindens
1 hour ago, Florence Firehart said:

double tap the center of the joystick to fly :) 
long press on objects to sit or touch (it's not a great interaction right now, we're working on it)
would you please go to Menu->settings ->give feedback or file a bug so we can track down the UI going off the screen when in landscape? thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bridie Linden said:

Hi 

That is an unfortunate first experience with our mobile app! It looks like you are definitely not connected to  the grid -- or maybe you experienced a brief Internet outage? Would you be willing to try again and report back? If it happens again, please file a bug from within the app (Main menu > Settings > Give feedback or file a bug) and also report it via the feedback portal (https://feedback.secondlife.com/mobile-public-beta-bugs) JIC anyone else runs into this.

i do not recall that i work for linden lab for money ...if they would pay me i would waste my time to to go all the report channels... for now i will wait till it will be ready ....but it does not look even close to be ready....

Posted (edited)

I've tried to use it for about half an hour, and in that span of time I've frozen and crashed three separate times for reasons I cannot understand (maybe my phone is not good enough). Accessing the chat menu is clunky, and there doesn't seem to be any inventory access (or maybe I'm just blind). But I understand this is an early access beta and it's not feature complete, so I look forward to seeing what it looks like further down the road. For now, it's kind of a pass.

Ps: my avatar actually loaded in this one so it already has that over other mobile viewers.

Edited by Missy Starchild

Posted (edited)

Geesh, I just left a review and was reading through the other reviews people have left on google play.  We are a tough crowd I tells ya, 3.1 average rating on google play

image.gif.80c85346a63cddc8a36f90bc3c8052e7.gif

It is weird, because it frustrates me, and I don't even have any stake in it 🤣

I'm really impressed with it, but then I guess I am easy to impress 🤣 I gave my review based on the fact that it is beta, not a polished product.. 

Edited by Istelathis
Removed a video, it was a bit over the top.

I can't login, because my home is a adult parcel and most LMs are also very often adult-rated. Without adult-content, this viewer ist just... a cheap joke?

It would be the best to offer the client outside of the Appstore.  Does Google Play has the same issue?

14 minutes ago, Kaya Kiyori said:

I can't login, because my home is a adult parcel and most LMs are also very often adult-rated. Without adult-content, this viewer ist just... a cheap joke?

It would be the best to offer the client outside of the Appstore.  Does Google Play has the same issue?

No. The Android viewer lets you go to Adult land.

i submitted feedback a little bit ago to add a toggle for nsfw on the ios app. saw that my feedback is under review now. it's probably worth voting on so the lidens see that users want adult content on ios too.

3 minutes ago, Devilgrey said:

i submitted feedback a little bit ago to add a toggle for nsfw on the ios app. saw that my feedback is under review now. it's probably worth voting on so the lidens see that users want adult content on ios too.

It's Apple themselves that forbid access to adult content, not LL. It's the only way the app can be on their store.

• Like 1