So PBR.. Just trying to get some straight answers please..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 77 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 6/26/2024 at 3:32 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Invisiprims were a sort of "cheat" that creators used pre-mesh to hide parts of the system avatar (for instance, the feet for wearing sculptie shoes). They've been used in boats and submarines to hide the Linden water that would otherwise be seen inside the vessel.

They don't work with deferred rendering, so they won't work now on any PBR viewer (or any viewer with ALM enabled). That means that boats in the water all show water at their bottoms.

Glad I didn't decide to waste my time on that submarine, now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2024 at 1:06 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

As a jewelry designer, for over 7 months, you've had a chance to find out using the official SL viewer.

(But the anser is no.)

Thanks for answering. You really could have done it without the sarcasm thought. :)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 6/24/2024 at 9:29 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

All these things will continue to work, they might look a little different as they benefit from lighting upgrades.

It will look more or less however it did with the exception that if it was shiny, it will reflect the local environment (as seen by nearby reflection probes) rather than the placeholder we had before.

This isn't going to be a thing, don't worry.

This does use more of your computers graphics capabilities, capabilities you had the whole time .. but weren't using.

This all is somewhat harder on older computers ..

Nope!

Linden do not want a situation like we had with ALM where some refused to ever turn it on.

PBR is the new base standard, for everyone. This is a good thing.

No SL wont .. but the push back might be pretty harsh from some.

Personally, i hated it when I first saw it. It's taken some time and effort to learn how to really use and i'm sure that will continue going forward.

No one loudly protesting will leave SL over this.

Thanks, Helps.

Edited by rainbow Fairymeadow
wrong person

Posted (edited)

I just went and bought a PBR ready home.Some of my furnitre that I already had a couple of years before PBR, it still looks really good in PBR.. A lot better than it did before..

I'm probably gonna get some PBR furniture soon.. But I get a lot of reflection still off my main pieces that I like.

Also I was playing around with a torch around my pool.. My pool looks so refreshing.. I've been hanging in it for about an hour now just playing with EEP's and any lighting I can find to try different things..

I need to get better with the lighting in the house and learn more about the reflective probes.. But I'm loving the feel of it so far.. I love that my system isn't even getting hot.

GenusBabyface_002.thumb.png.7e1b2d5924d80f7ac02b1c2356ea9433.png

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 10

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Eloy McGregor said:

Just a little question .. i can't figure it out either.. (asking for a friend who doesn't want to look stupid )

is the only way to get water less psychedelic by taking the transparant setting off?

Screen space reflection is meant more for things like still water like puddles or wet surfaces, shines on floors and things like that.. Not for moving water.

I really noticed it was messing with water when I was looking at the water and then would turn.. I would get all these crazy lines over the water..

Myself I turned  that off and the water looked much better , as well as turned mirrors off and my system ran so much smoother.. For me, those two are just going to be used for pictures.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hi , I'd like to show you guys the appearance of some rings made with PBR textures, in viewers PBR and NON PBR mode. For those people who haven't figured it out yet : PBR objects will appear shiny with no visible textures on non-PBR viewers. So if you girls buy PBR jewelry, it will appear ugly and shiny to people who run non PBR viewers .

PBR VIEWER_001.jpg

NO PBR VIEWER.jpg

Edited by RicDelMoro
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RicDelMoro said:

So if you girls buy PBR jewelry, it will appear ugly and shiny to people who run non PBR viewers .

I guess girls will just have to get guys to buy their jewelry for them then.  Is guy jewelry safe or is it even uglier on a non PBR viewer because it's usually bigger?

It is fun to play on people's vanity though, huh?

• Like 1

I am buying new PBR things I want, but not using them yet. Studio Skye is sending out updates in PBR and is also making more PBR content.

I am not going to use PBR in my garden before Firestorm has a second or third version out. The first one is too laggy in general, and it takes a long time before things rez around me. Firestorm has such a big user base, many people will not use Firestorm with PBR, until it runs as good as the version before PBR.

I am using the Alchemy viewer with PBR, it runs quick and smooth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I am not going to use PBR in my garden before Firestorm has a second or third version out

Me too, for the reasons Marianne mentions plus my laptop runs to hot and the viewer crashes ( Budsplat). I have rolled back to the pre-PBR Firestorm.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2024 at 5:14 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

This is the new normal. I can't say I'm super thrilled about the Lab's complete disregard for SL's evolved art style. But here we are. There are upsides, there are new toys, and this is much needed platform advancement and investment. PBR can look so much better than what we're used to. It's going to take some time before we have gotten to grips with it all.

PBR is a Mesh moment for SL, and yeah, maybe that 10 year old computer or business laptop is going to need an upgrade.

We can take it one of two ways.

• Suck it up, try and make it work, learn some new skills if needed.
  • Get all bitter and whine.

I just hope it becomes better optimised and that PBR doesn’t always run this crap, I know in the uk right now there is a cost of living crisis and it’s just not possible for most of us to even consider getting a better computer new or second hand. It’s been released and it has so many bugs to the point a lot of us have gone back to none pbr viewers, but then yes mesh had these bugs too. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 9:47 AM, Marianne Little said:

I am buying new PBR things I want, but not using them yet. Studio Skye is sending out updates in PBR and is also making more PBR content.

I am not going to use PBR in my garden before Firestorm has a second or third version out. The first one is too laggy in general, and it takes a long time before things rez around me. Firestorm has such a big user base, many people will not use Firestorm with PBR, until it runs as good as the version before PBR.

I am using the Alchemy viewer with PBR, it runs quick and smooth.

I’ve gone back to pre pbr firestorm which runs at a nice 40 fps in most sims, I do occasionally pop into a pbr viewer to check out items but I like my nice 40 fps in most sims over pbr’s 8fps in most sims. I’m just hoping the problems now are just hiccups and things will improve fingers crossed 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 77 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.