Is Lindenlab choosing a doomed path for SL ? Tell us if the EEP and PBR introduction changed the way you play SL

21 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I've always used a laptop with SL.   It's definitely going to get warmer with the PBR viewers.   Mine does but it's well within specs for the graphics card and cpu.

Sure I am within specs too but I know it will require to be cleaned more often. Problem is I see no benefit to PBR. Maybe good for creators to have a new angle to make sales on and photographers to enhance pictures with but I am neither of those. So to me it is a questionable upgrade with just downsides.

11 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

That is why there has been such a delayed outcry on PBR. It has been in the SL viewer since December.

On the other hand, there has been a huge upsurge in people buying PBR materials since the weekend. So whilst some are in here complaining, many are out there, getting their PBR vibe on!

Edited by Porky Gorky
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

Not now, but if LL insists on making this hell of a software hack mandatory there will be a certain loss. Alos, I do not know if you are in any significant SL group, or if you follow the conversations there. If you would be, you´d not be so optimistic.

People with hardware with worse specs than yours, by the same manufacturer, are getting better performance than you.

This means that there is either a very narrow issue with something about your particular hardware, or there are issues with your settings. Either situation wouldn't mean that the software itself has major problems. And as long as you insist the problems aren't on your end and don't give the people who are writing the software actionable information, your problems will never get fixed.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Porky Gorky said:

On the other hand, there has been a huge upsurge in people buying PBR materials since the weekend. So whilst some are in here complaining, many are out there, getting their PBR vibe on!

When I did my brief jaunt around the Shop-n-Hop, I didn't notice a lot of merchants with "PBR ENABLED!!!!" in their signage. 

Just now, Cristiano Midnight said:
3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

When I did my brief jaunt around the Shop-n-Hop, I didn't notice a lot of merchants with "PBR ENABLED!!!!" in their signage. 

They probably did not expect PBR to hit wide release at the same time.

I, at least, was surprised to hear that SL21B had a lot of official "PBR-only" content. 

1 hour ago, Vivienne Schell said:

To save your GPU and your Power Supply in the midterm run  I´d suggest to throttle FPS down to 25. That reduces the insane load a bit.

Gaslighting lol. Modern day GPUs have built in protections against overheating, which is the only thing (other than overclocking) that will shorten the life of a video card. If your computer has adequate cooling, you can run your GPU hard all day long and and it won't measurably shorten the life of your card. And don't throw a bunch of YouTube video's or Reddit posts with anecdotal nonesense back. Technical data only please.

Oh, and because you keep misusing the word:

"Gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse where a person causes someone to question their sanity, memories, or perception of reality. People who experience gaslighting may feel confused, anxious, or unable to trust themselves."

The most frequent use is to describe someone who is responsible for some bad behavior convincing another person that it is that other person's fault.

I think the words you should be using instead are "I don't agree with you and I'm going to tell you why."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Theresa Tennyson said:

People with hardware with worse specs than yours, by the same manufacturer, are getting better performance than you.

This means that there is either a very narrow issue with something about your particular hardware, or there are issues with your settings. Either situation wouldn't mean that the software itself has major problems. And as long as you insist the problems aren't on your end and don't give the people who are writing the software actionable information, your problems will never get fixed.

Xcuse me, I have never had any problems with pre-PBR viewers. I do not have any problem with running any AAA game fluently. The load on the GPU here is insane for what there is to render. One can toast a laptop easily with such a software. Low specs or not.

Instead of telling people who never had any problem like that with any other software that their "settings" or their hardware is wrong, face the reality.

• Like 2

Just now, Vivienne Schell said:

Xcuse me, I have never had any problems with pre-PBR viewers. I do not have any problem with running any AAA game fluently. The load on the GPU here is insane for what there is to render. One can toast a laptop easily with such a software. Low specs or not.

Instead of telling people who never had any problem like that with any other software that their "settings" or their hardware is wrong, face the reality.

You mean reality like:

7 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:
6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I, at least, was surprised to hear that SL21B had a lot of official "PBR-only" content. 

Well, from LL's end, it has been out for 6 months, so why not use it? I was surprised there was no fallback on some of it, though. That does seem arrogant.

Ah, you mean also including the non-PBR materials? Makes sense. 

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

So PBR is really just a creator ploy to get more sales?

I doubt it. If a creator was using SPC/GLS correctly, or Blinn-Phong, they'd be getting complaints about their products from people that didn't have ALM on. Those creators began to use baked lighting images, and even dropping normals on a lot of stuff (or the user took them off). Most of the textures I observed inworld were limited to the DIFfuse only.

Now with PBR we have the same issue. Not only will they not see the PBR as intended - due to some settings inworld, or even the EXR/HDR SL is using right now - adds blue haze and dulls/darkens the textures. If PBR is off, what will the material default to then?

At least in Sansar, they had their lighting right, so what looked proper EVERYWHERE ELSE in PBR (which was meant by Pixar to be a standardized thing used industry-wide) is tainted in SL, requiring different workflows (and color settings?) just to look right.

I can make PBR all day. In fact, the one reason I abandoned SL for Sansar at the time was wanting to use PBR, then I backported from PBR workflow converting back to SPC/GLS - then got tons of complaints - I'm surprised I never got them before that, but I was just using flat Difs and nrms only - having no skill in the spc area yet. Funny how when you do something right around here in SL - it INCREASES complaints - because many aren't even using the advanced settings to see any of it.

14 minutes ago, Porky Gorky said:

Really, well, the first 200 pages of the MP best selling products do not list any PBR textures. OK, i gave up at page 201.

• Haha 1

If I set the settings in Firestorm to look very nearly the same as they did before PBR, the load on my system is hardly any different at all.  I think people think "Medium" and "High" and "Ultra" still mean the same thing, but they are actually all higher settings than they were in older viewers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Vivienne Schell said:
16 minutes ago, Porky Gorky said:

Really, well, the first 200 pages of the MP best selling products do not list any PBR textures. OK, i gave up at page 201.

"Huge Upsurge" and "best selling" are not the same thing. 

You've got an interesting way of thinking! (Unless you just like to argue.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"Huge Upsurge" and "best selling" are not the same thing. 

You've got an interesting way of thinking! (Unless you just like to argue.)

Don´t tell me that the vast majority of SL users can create PBR textures or are interested in them. That´s an elite club or they buy these textures somewhere, if they ever are interested in any at all. And only a few will notice the difference, anyway.

Edited by Vivienne Schell

5 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

I can make PBR all day. In fact, the one reason I abandoned SL for Sansar at the time was wanting to use PBR, then I backported from PBR workflow converting back to SPC/GLS - then got tons of complaints - I'm surprised I never got them before that, but I was just using flat Difs and nrms only - having no skill in the spc area yet. Funny how when you do something right around here in SL - it INCREASES complaints - because many aren't even using the advanced settings to see any of it.

I just wondered as it seemed mostly creator and developers who are trying to convince everyone that they should be ok with the forced update.

1 minute ago, Vivienne Schell said:

Don´t tell me that the vast majority of SL users can create PBR textures or are interested in them.

I'm not telling you that.  I'm not a part of your argument. I'm just pointing out the illogic in your statement.

However, there are users here in the Forum, who created free tools for creating PBR materials by combining individual files.  So, if such tools were made available to those who "create textures", then they COULD create PBR textures.

3 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

or are interested in them. That´s an elite club or they buy these textures somewhere, if they ever are interested in any at all.

This rings similarly to your quote from 2011 that Mesh would not succeed.

• Like 1