New SL-Dedicated Social Media, Blogging, and Photography Platform PrimFeed Opens! What Are Your Impressions?

So, PrimFeed has launched today, to much ballyhoo and excitement!

https://www.primfeed.com/

It's a platform that is dedicated to SL users (only), is closely integrated with your SL account, and permits the posting of photos as well as including a Twitter-like social media feed. The service is tiered, with both free and paid accounts. Inara has written up a detailed account of it here:

https://modemworld.me/2024/06/20/primfeed-a-dedicated-social-platform-for-second-life/

Have you tried it? Are you interested in trying it, if you haven't?

What are your impressions or experiences of it? What are it's pros and cons? What, if any, concerns might you have about it?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I'll quote my posts with my own concerns here from the Peeve thread. Looking forward to hearing everyone else's experiences/concerns/ideas.

24 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

As for peeves: I don't particularly like that it's integrated with things in-world (profile, login, payment). Just not a fan of that and wouldn't sign up for that reason on its own. I also prefer to be on social platforms with non-SL people in addition to SL people. If I really need a fully closed system for whatever reason (customer service, socializing, keeping up with sales, etc.), I'm already in some SL-only Discord servers.

The free account also limits image resolution, so that's pointless for me to bother with anyway.

18 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I know that's a bit hypocritical of me to say considering I use my in-world name on my Flickr account, but that's a choice I made and I can change it (or make a new account entirely) if I ever needed to. Having it locked-in to our in-world identities could potentially be an issue.

• Like 2

Just now, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Is it a good idea to use your Second Life password on the new primfeed site?

Oh Hell No!

Yes, this is a feature about which I have some reservations as well, although it should be noted that the creator, Luke Rowley, is not new to this, and has already created and is running two well-liked SL-related platforms.

And although you DO need to use your SL account name (which I think is to ensure that only residents can use the platform), you do not need to use your SL password, nor do I think the platform would have any way of accessing this or any other personal account info.

Still, I understand your caution.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Ayashe Ninetails @Sid@Zalificent Corvinus

You do NOT need to use your SL password. -- just your user name.

If you want, you don't need to use a password at all, in which case you need to login with the code they send you in-world.

OR you can create a unique password, not your SL one, to login.

I can confirm this, having just done so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

I'm sure it'll have appeal to SL Flickr "exiles" who won't pay to post adult virtual cartoon content, not to mention the endless spamvertisements.

Edited by Ineffable Mote
forgot to mention the endless advertisments

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

@Ayashe Ninetails @Sid@Zalificent Corvinus

If you want, you don't need to use a password at all, in which case you need to login with the code they send you in-world.

OR you can create a unique password, not your SL one, to login.

I can confirm this, having just done so.

Yep, you just need the login code. Still don't wanna do it, though. It pulls the photo from your in-world profile (it can be changed, but still). Which means technicallyyyyyy it could mayyyyybe one day pull more.

Yes, I know. I'm paranoid.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Not going to happen.

I loathed "social media" sites like tw*tter to begin with, a tw*tter clone by some unknown person, not a hope of me signing up for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yep, you just need the login code. Still don't wanna do it, though. It pulls the photo from your in-world profile (it can be changed, but still). Which means technicallyyyyyy it could mayyyyybe one day pull more.

Paranoia ain't always a bad thing.

Your profile pic is public, though, so I'm not at all surprised it can access it.

• Like 2

Just now, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Not going to happen.

I loathed "social media" sites like tw*tter to begin with, a tw*tter clone by some unknown person, not a hope of me signing up for that.

Fair!

I have mixed feelings about social media platforms, and avoid some of them -- namely anything having to do with Meta -- like the plague.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I like this, that way nobody can "impersonate" you!

That I think is the principle. It's not a bad idea, actually -- if it's only accessing your public info (i.e., the stuff on your profile).

As it doesn't require you to use your SL password, I don't see how it could access anything else.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

You're not the only one.
It is even the main reason that I stick with the LL viewer.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

You're not paranoid. There is a lot about this new service I find questionable, from that to the payment option in Linden.

• Like 5

Just now, Modulated said:

You're not paranoid. There is a lot about this new service I find questionable, from that to the payment option in Linden.

Can you be more specific?

I'm not at all doubting you, but I'd like to hear what worries people about this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
3 minutes ago, Modulated said:

I'm not at all doubting you, but I'd like to hear what worries people about this.

Payment option?!? They want L$?!?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

People whine about being data scraped by "filthy bots", but here they are being asked to voluntarily give your profile to some random for datascraping, so they can post nude avatarr pics on a 2nd rate clone of tw*tter., that wants you to pay them sizeable amounts of L$ for access.

That isn't enough to be concerned?

• Like 3

More social media stuff to ignore. Never had a FB account, or any others. Only remotely "social" platform I ever check is flickr, and I'm not interested in the social part of it, just in high resolution pictures (not even blogger ones if it's about SL, but just product images/ads).

• Like 4

Just now, steeljane42 said:

More social media stuff to ignore. Never had a FB account, or any others. Only remotely "social" platform I ever check is flickr, and I'm not interested in the social part of it, just in high resolution pictures (not even blogger ones if it's about SL, but just product images/ads).

I'm the same way.. It's also why I never toyed with the Second life feed from before.. It felt too much like social networking or media or whatever it is..

The forums and in world is about as social as I want to get on the internet really.. I don't want to get out in any of the main currents and get swept away.. hehehe

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well not using an outside processor in actual currency...what if there is an issue and a person needs to cancel or get a refund, how is this going to work as far as getting Linden back? What the if person says well you paid already, all it shows in your transaction is that you gave this person x amount of L supposedly for their service, but it's not going to say any of that and there is likely no recourse should a dispute arise. It's just not good IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, PrimFeed has launched today, to much ballyhoo and excitement!

https://www.primfeed.com/

It's a platform that is dedicated to SL users (only), is closely integrated with your SL account, and permits the posting of photos as well as including a Twitter-like social media feed. The service is tiered, with both free and paid accounts. Inara has written up a detailed account of it here:

https://modemworld.me/2024/06/20/primfeed-a-dedicated-social-platform-for-second-life/

Have you tried it? Are you interested in trying it, if you haven't?

What are your impressions or experiences of it? What are it's pros and cons? What, if any, concerns might you have about it?

All I see is a login page, going to the main site bumps me to the login page. There is no pitch, no description, no about nothing, what exactly is the site and why would I sign up on it?

I quit pretty much all social media. Have had enough of the like farming, status farming, friend farming, and submitting personal information, art works, etc to corporations who steal it, then lock me out of it, etc.

It'll be good for those folk, (and the same folk no doubt) to do all that and continue their little circle-jerk together - no thanks.

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Is this from LL?

No, but it seems to have LL's tacit endorsement, as it now appears on the list of SL's official social media accounts. And there was a big inworld event for mark its opening, which I think had LL support.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1