Pride Month In SL -- A Bad Experience

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:

And what box do people in here throw me into hmmmm?

So just cause they do it, means you should do it too? Lol. Two wrongs don't make a write and if you don't like the cis word and expect people to respect that. Then you can't go throwing words around like that. It makes you sound hypocritical. 

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Because it's never on purpose! 

Your spelling (or typing?) stinks today, by the way!

Nope, because I don't knowingly and intently go out to cause other people harm. In this day and age though, anything can offend or upset someone. I just don't bother trying to navigate that minefield, so for some I'll probably hit one at one point or another.

Yes, I seem to be messing up on my i before e except after c alot, and its probably due to my preferred sitting position today which is messing up my keyboarding  LOL

2 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I am not saying they have to fly a pride flag. I keep on pitching them and you keep on missing them. Keep up please. I am saying that as you stated prior that should it not be the choice of the establishment to be able to do that? There is the hypocrisy there. You are okay with churches making decisions like not allowing women to be baptist churches, but will high five churches for not being "woke" which I hate that buzzword. 

I'm trying, but I  really can't understand what you are trying to say.

I didn't high five any churches, or condemn them. I just said they have to be free to do what is best for them and their membership.

41 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Maybe this is a cultural thing that is happening more in America. Here we are much more tolerant in general towards this minority. But then again, and this might be unpopular to say, LGBT people here aren't as loud and "in your face", so maybe this is why i make this conclusion, which isn't a far fetched one, to be fair. But then again, rainbow-colored crosswalks have started to appear here in the past few years, but that's just politicians pandering to as many groups as they can, obviously.

I'm aware of what i just said, and maybe in the entire thread, may be triggering to some. but i ask that you look at the context. I speak of part experience and part of what i see happening across the pond. I make logical conclusions.

Europe is definitely more evolved on these issues. However, I hope you are not equating gays being more open with why they are experiencing more harassment and violence in America. Gay people here have had to get loud and in your face to fight for basic rights, not even special ones. Most gay people are not loud, it doesn't immunize them from harassment. If you are different and perceived to have "gay" characteristics (even if you aren't), you will be often bullied. When the Supreme Court overturned abortion rights in the US, one of the justices indicated that gay marriage, contraception, and even interracial marriage need to be revisited because they were based on the same principles they used to overturn Roe v Wade. So gay people have only recently gotten the right to marry in the US, and it is already being targeted. It is exhausting having to feel vigilant to not have your rights taken from you. So in that regard, yes, American gays are louder. They need to be.

Edited by Cristiano Midnight
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

So just cause they do it, means you should do it too? Lol. Two wrongs don't make a write and if you don't like the cis word and expect people to respect that. Then you can't go throwing words around like that. It makes you sound hypocritical. 

Southpark did it best, cue to 2:08

What is cis gendered?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Europe is definitely more evolved on these issues. However, I hope you are not equating gays being more open with experiencing more harassment and violence in America. Gay people here have had to get loud and in your face to fight for basic rights, not even special ones. Most gay people are not loud, it doesn't immunize them from harassment. If you are different and perceived to have "gay" characteristics (even if you aren't), you will be often bullied. When the Supreme Court overturned abortion rights in the US, one of the justices indicated that gay marriage, contraception, and even interracial marriage need to be revisited because they were based on the same principles they used to overturn Roe v Wade. So gay people have only recently gotten the right to marry in the US, and it is already being targeted. It is exhausting having to feel vigilant to not have your rights taken from you. So in that regard, yes, American gays are louder. They need to be.

A question, if you were beaten up because someone thought you were gay, but you were actually straight, is it still a hate crime?

heaven forbid the supreme court rules in favor states rights 😂

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a line

Oh and I forgot to add, I vote based on the platform they stand on. Not cause they are either either conservative or liberal. I have actually voted for both, not at the same time. But during different elections, based on their platform. 

• Like 1

I celebrate Pride Month in SL as I do every single year: minding my own business. You be you, I'll be me, everything is fine. It's pixels.

I'm often surprised at some peoples apparent need to cause issues for others, I genuinely cannot think of any good reason why people celebrating their sexuality affects me at all particularly in SL but... in real life too. Who cares? I understand how that could be seen as an attack on the very idea of Pride but it isn't, I just have no real interest and cannot understand the mentality of anyone who would be offended by something like that or feel the need to get angry about it.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I am centrist/moderate. And why are you asking that? Do you think I am wrong, for not agreeing with certain things of either side? 

Actually, I'm the same way, I'm not in lockstep with everything "my side" believes in.

But, I'm opposed to everything the other side believes in.

If you were to ask me why I support Trump, I'd reply, I don't support him because I agree with him, I support him, because he agrees with me

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
changed words for clarity

Actually, I'm the same way, I'm not in lockstep with everything "my side" believes in.

But, I'm opposed to everything the other side believes in.

If you were to ask me how I can support Trump, I'd reply, I don't support him because I agree with him, I support him, because he agrees with me

I don't care who you support Lol. That is between you yourself and you. That is your business. But I also happen to agree with certain issues on the left. 

So, anyway....

Politics, intolerance, hypocrisy, attacks on both people and their beliefs, real life issues.

Are we all entertained?

Let the moles sleep for a while.

Everyone has an opinion, but most people know when to voice them and when they are just disrupting a planned Pride event.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

So, anyway....

Politics, intolerance, hypocrisy, attacks on both people and their beliefs, real life issues.

Are we all entertained?

Everyone has an opinion, but most people know when to voice them and when they are just disrupting a planned Pride event.

Are you saying we went off-topic from Second Life? Noooooooo!!!!

Just now, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

So, anyway....

Are we all entertained?

Oh I am happy and entertained. I mean I was until people started getting all vicious and stuff. Lol. But then again, these are the forums, even if they have a dissenting opinion, doesn't matter if it's pride or not. They are able to make it clear. However if people are gonna character attack each other, I do think that is in bad taste and does the exact opposite of a healty discussion. 

• Like 1

Anyway, time to take my doggo for a walk, I expect to come back to see the thread locked, or me suspended, or maybe even both.

I love the forums, I really have no ill will towards anyone in here, even the ones that are wrong

• Like 1

such as?

I am all for bodily autonomy. That is my big one that I agree with on the left. And no I am not saying just abortions, I do think that education should be better, but I mean if a woman is not ready to have a kid. Within a certain time limit. It is their choice what they do with their bodies. 

1 hour ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

There is a lot to unpack here, but the biggest mistake you are making is conflating tolerance and acceptance. You don't have to accept anyone's way of life, as their life is not predicated on your acceptance. Tolerance is something different. Someone not liking gay people or the word gay isn't the issue. It is when people use that dislike to actively try to marginalize a group because of it. That level of intolerance crosses into the live and let live territory you are speaking of.

Something we keep seeing right now in 2024 in America is during Pride events, pride flags are being burnt and micro-*****ed assholes in big trucks are peeling out on pride crosswalks and things to deface them, then posting it proudly on social media, to be cheered on by the anti-LGBT masses. It is a scary thing out there for gay people who still do get beaten up and killed in America and around the world soley for being gay.

Acceptance is nice to have but not needed. Basic respect and not having your existence demeaned and legislated away is what is needed. It is scary time - the world is moving backward, not forward. The path of progress is not a straight line, but this part of the pendulum swing is unnerving.

Try this to check whether you're (not you personally, Cristiano) over-reacting to someone saying they're gay or trans or whatever. 

Replace the word "gay" in your mind with "Christian" or "American" or "single" or any other identity that you're comfortable with. Then see if you still want to tell that other person that they shouldn't use that word to define themself or someone else.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Oh I am happy and entertained. I mean I was until people started getting all vicious and stuff. Lol. But then again, these are the forums, even if they have a dissenting opinion, doesn't matter if it's pride or not. They are able to make it clear. However if people are gonna character attack each other, I do think that is in bad taste and does the exact opposite of a healty discussion. 

But also that goes for men too, I think everyone has the right to complete bodily autonomy. 

• Like 1

• Moles

Hey, gang!

I'm sure you probably remember this, but just in case...

No Discussions Not Directly Related to Second Life: Please keep all threads relevant and directly related to Second Life and Linden Lab. Anything unrelated to Second Life is subject to moderation. This includes, but is not limited to, politics, social issues, current events, and Non-SL discussion posts.

Please return to discussing the OP's opening post about an experience in SL. The state of things in RL politics, churches, and other social settings may be interesting, but should not be the focus of a forum discussion.

• Thanks 3