SL should have object decay

7 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Question - what do one second orbs do that banlines do not? I have admittedly never used either. I have encountered a few when out sailing and accidentally crossed into water that was in the open waterway but part of someone's parcel and got instantly sent back home. That did piss me off.

Ban lines only extend 50 feet from ground level.  Orbs extend ALL the way up so if you have a skybox, it's covered as well.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

LOL I barely post here and I have felt shellshocked after 3 threads basically, two of which got closed. I don't know how you do it long term.

Some people like having unpopular opinions, and love arguing them to death!  That's my assumption. 🙂

• Thanks 1

I have no idea what I may have said two years ago in a huge thread, but my position has for years been that both llTeleportAgentHome and llEjectFromLand (but especially the former) should have always been reserved for Estate use only and let market forces determine how popular those features are on Estates. That would have created a very different Mainland—and a very different SL— but (as I should have said, whatever I may have said) it's now utterly impractical from a business perspective to change that on the Mainland continents.

As we see, though, not every traditional Mainland practice must extend to every new Governor Linden Land product.

I won't be discussing land access further in this thread unless somebody proposes that objects decay only on parcels with security orbs.

Edited by Qie Niangao
both/and
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Codex Alpha said:

Not one person has made that 'demand'. Of course there will be some users who will create this as a strawman, and use it against someone else.

The weird thing is, how you don't want people to access your place (I don't call flying through or over accessing your personal space) yet you're okay with them camming in.

I think camming in by anyone is a bit more aggressive and perhaps 'creepy' and more of an invasion of space and close to 'criminal' or at least 'deviant' trespassing if they do that lol.

image.png.79f986e4d350c717af863de7433129ae.png

You  don't think so? A confused emoticon is not a counterargument.

Since you asked...read the tag under my forum picture.  

My confusion is actually my WTF!

ETA...I did make a counterargument.   Waiting on yours.

Edited by Rowan Amore

4 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

my position has for years been that llTeleportAgentHome nor llEjectFromLand (but especially the former) should have always been reserved for Estate use only and let market forces determine how popular those features are on Estates.

One question before we lose you - Does the above mean, for mainland "parcels" where there is no "estate", that normal "parcel" owners (not part of an Estate) wouldn't get to use Orbs under your suggestion?  Because as I understand it, there's no "Estate" involved with small parcel owners on Mainland.

12 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Question - what do one second orbs do that banlines do not? I have admittedly never used either. I have encountered a few when out sailing and accidentally crossed into water that was in the open waterway but part of someone's parcel and got instantly sent back home. That did piss me off.

Work more than 50 m above ground height.

Actually there's a NEW kind of orb now, made by a forumite, available free on the MP, that doesn't punt kick people at all, instead it "pre-emptively" bans all potential trespassers the moment they arrive on the same region, so they are presented with a 5km high wall of banlines, and then removes them from the ban list when they leave the region.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Graven-Hearts-Mainland-AutoBan-System/25648354

As you can imagine, the Over-entitled Privacy Hating Griefer Trash were livid about this and tried turning the thread about it into another of their Right to trespass fiascos.

It's VERY effective,  and gives the trash NO punt-kick to whine about.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Since you asked...read the tag under my forum picture.  

My confusion is actually my WTF!

Forgive me. It doesn't make it easy to know someone's intent, when they replace their own definitions or uses of emoticons, that have years (and objective criteria) behind their use.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

It's just an accusation that Zal levels at his target (may not be me personally, I've never been to his parcel) but he sure likes to rage at me as if its personal.

Sometimes I just don't want to stand for it. Overall though, since nothing ever gets solved - ultimately I'm the idiot for wasting my time on it (and other topics) , and it can have negative consequences on my outlook of SL as a result.

It just really makes me long for the corpse explosion skill from Diablo IV. That would solve a lot of things in SL (and entertain me immensely).

• Like 2

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

One question before we lose you - Does the above mean, for mainland "parcels" where there is no "estate", that normal "parcel" owners (not part of an Estate) wouldn't get to use Orbs under your suggestion?  Because as I understand it, there's no "Estate" involved with small parcel owners on Mainland.

Well, technically all regions are in an estate, just that Mainland is in the Governor's estate, and some similar arrangement for the Linden Homes continents. But I was using "Estates" to refer to private, non-Linden estates, so yeah, in my hypothetical Mainland, orbs could call those functions but they wouldn't do anything. They could add an agent to the parcel ban list, however, which isn't great but slightly less disruptive than those other functions. I suppose they could sic llPush-wielding insects on intruders, too, which at least has a little amusement value. But the whole point would be to make private Estates the place people would have always chosen if they really wanted those functions because Estates are in a position to control their abuse, or let them run unfettered, whatever serves the market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Forgive me. It doesn't make it easy to know someone's intent, when they replace their own definitions or uses of emoticons, that have years (and objective criteria) behind their use.

Yeah, life changes all the time and reading is hard.  Whatcha gonna do?  Forgiveness denied.  🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Qie Niangao said:

Well, technically all regions are in an estate, just that Mainland is in the Governor's estate, and some similar arrangement for the Linden Homes continents. But I was using "Estates" to refer to private, non-Linden estates, so yeah, in my hypothetical Mainland, orbs could call those functions but they wouldn't do anything. They could add an agent to the parcel ban list, however, which isn't great but slightly less disruptive than those other functions. I suppose they could sic llPush-wielding insects on intruders, too, which at least has a little amusement value. But the whole point would be to make private Estates the place people would have always chosen if they really wanted those functions because Estates are in a position to control their abuse, or let them run unfettered, whatever serves the market.

Ok, I thought if you own at least a full Region of mainland, then you get to manage it as an "Estate". 🙂

It's been awhile since I owned that much land!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
7 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Yeah, life changes all the time and reading is hard.  Whatcha gonna do?  Forgiveness denied.  🙄

Remember when "it was decided" that "Laugh" meant "Scorn Laugh"?

This seems much the same thing with "Confusion"!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Confusion is not different from WTF. When you are saying WTF, it is usually because you can't believe someone said something and are confused how they could say that. It is not dissimilar from HUH?  It is not that complicated. You get very gatekeepy on meanings of words (and now emoji) to the point that it can be irritating. Context is also key. Some people are using the laugh response because they are amused, and some people use it because they are laughing at what you said. Again, not hard to discern.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Ramen Jedburgh said:

I am really wondering what constitutes "Criminal TOS Breaking harassment" that happens in 30 seconds to create such a massive hatred towards having anything but a massive strict security system.

I've answered this same question so many times from so many home invaders. but what the hell.

Once, I and some friends bought a piece of abandoned land, from LL, on an almost deserted region at the unfashionable end of a less popular continent.

We built a house and garden, and enjoyed our peace and quiet.

Then one day the goose stepping Fake HOA Spokes-bigots of the Kommunity Kommisar Kommando Korps of the Grand Army of Bellicosia, convinced the Moles to build an anti-mainlander maritime invasion route from Bellicosia to the end of the continent.

In the first week after that opened, II had FIVE anti-privacy griefers invade my parcel, at 2500 m or so off the ground, that's 500 m ABOVE the so called Bellicosian Free Fly zone, these trash were DELIBERATLY looking for skyboxes on mainland to file fraudulent AR's against.

Two of the trash just screamed straight thru the parcel, 2 stopped IN the parcel, and subjected me to hate fuelled IM's for having a skybox, and a third added more abuse for having a ground level build that made our home "unsuitable for their off road motor sports".

Another over-entitled b*tch IM'd me to complain that she was rich, had two very expensive homes in the most expensive places in SL, and commuted between them and there fore was a "bona fide traveller", then demanded that I unban her, add her to the orbs guest list, and invite her to our private land group so she could use our spare 500 LI to rez her own emergency air field half way along her preferred route.

She seemed genuinely surprised when my reply to her 3 demands was "No, Hell No, Fork off and DYE"

I installed the orb originally, about page 20 of that 37 page thread where a known griefer kept making their demands for their right to trespass, because I got sick and tired of trespasser trash claiming anyone who didn't want them in their home was a paranoid moron who didn't deserve to have any rights, blah blah blah.

Since then the orb has punted and banned about 30 trash, almost half of them members of the griefer club known as the SLCG.

This is largely due to these griefers publishing a map for other griefers, showing "recommended routes" one of which was placed so as to run, literally, through my living room between the sofa and the fire place.

The orb had to punt 30 of these trash before the survivors learned to steer ARROUND, based on how often the bans happened, and over what time period, and how many had to be banned before the rest of the rabble learned ( they tend to be a bit slow ), I estimate there are less than 100 of these noisy trash on the grid, and probably less than 50.

As I said just before to Cris, somebody invented a NEW type of orb that doesn't NEED to punt the trash, but they still complained bitterly with all the same tired old strawman arguments as to why they have a right to trespass.

This isn't about "oh no i got punted" it is and always has been about power, they demand the power to trespass on my land whenever they like.

That's the same reasoning behind the "delete builds I don't like" suggestion in this thread.

Noisy minorities, fraudulently claiming to represent "the average user" and demanding rights they don't have over land they don't pay for.

So, simple version.

Say you trespass onmy land, DESPITE the ban lines, and the parcel being red on the mini map, and the parcel description saying "private residence".

And the zero second orb, that's set to allow you to intrude upto 2 m inside the line does nothing, so you carry on and trespass further, and then the orb drop kicks your ass home and adds you to the ban list.

What then? If you IM me to complain about being punished for trespassing and call me a "f**king noob" and "paranoid b*tch" or lecture me that "orbs are against the law" or "Bellicosian Covenant of Awfulness says you can't do this" or any other unwanted whiny IM spam, that is ToS Violating Harassment, and I WILL AR you for it before muting you.

All clear now ?

Your side started a war, and whine about the fact they still haven't won it.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Once, I and some friends fiends bought a piece of abandoned land, from LL, on an almost deserted region at the unfashionable end of a less popular continent.

Did the unedited version say I and some fiends originally? I can't unsee it now but not sure if it was my imagination!

40 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I've answered this same question so many times from so many home invaders. but what the hell.

Once, I and some friends bought a piece of abandoned land, from LL, on an almost deserted region at the unfashionable end of a less popular continent.

We built a house and garden, and enjoyed our peace and quiet.

Then one day the goose stepping Fake HOA Spokes-bigots of the Kommunity Kommisar Kommando Korps of the Grand Army of Bellicosia, convinced the Moles to build an anti-mainlander maritime invasion route from Bellicosia to the end of the continent.

In the first week after that opened, II had FIVE anti-privacy griefers invade my parcel, at 2500 m or so off the ground, that's 500 m ABOVE the so called Bellicosian Free Fly zone, these trash were DELIBERATLY looking for skyboxes on mainland to file fraudulent AR's against.

Two of the trash just screamed straight thru the parcel, 2 stopped IN the parcel, and subjected me to hate fuelled IM's for having a skybox, and a third added more abuse for having a ground level build that made our home "unsuitable for their off road motor sports".

Another over-entitled b*tch IM'd me to complain that she was rich, had two very expensive homes in the most expensive places in SL, and commuted between them and there fore was a "bona fide traveller", then demanded that I unban her, add her to the orbs guest list, and invite her to our private land group so she could use our spare 500 LI to rez her own emergency air field half way along her preferred route.

She seemed genuinely surprised when my reply to her 3 demands was "No, Hell No, Fork off and DYE"

I installed the orb originally, about page 20 of that 37 page thread where a known griefer kept making their demands for their right to trespass, because I got sick and tired of trespasser trash claiming anyone who didn't want them in their home was a paranoid moron who didn't deserve to have any rights, blah blah blah.

Since then the orb has punted and banned about 30 trash, almost half of them members of the griefer club known as the SLCG.

This is largely due to these griefers publishing a map for other griefers, showing "recommended routes" one of which was placed so as to run, literally, through my living room between the sofa and the fire place.

The orb had to punt 30 of these trash before the survivors learned to steer ARROUND, based on how often the bans happened, and over what time period, and how many had to be banned before the rest of the rabble learned ( they tend to be a bit slow ), I estimate there are less than 100 of these noisy trash on the grid, and probably less than 50.

As I said just before to Cris, somebody invented a NEW type of orb that doesn't NEED to punt the trash, but they still complained bitterly with all the same tired old strawman arguments as to why they have a right to trespass.

This isn't about "oh no i got punted" it is and always has been about power, they demand the power to trespass on my land whenever they like.

That's the same reasoning behind the "delete builds I don't like" suggestion in this thread.

Noisy minorities, fraudulently claiming to represent "the average user" and demanding rights they don't have over land they don't pay for.

So, simple version.

Say you trespass onmy land, DESPITE the ban lines, and the parcel being red on the mini map, and the parcel description saying "private residence".

And the zero second orb, that's set to allow you to intrude upto 2 m inside the line does nothing, so you carry on and trespass further, and then the orb drop kicks your ass home and adds you to the ban list.

What then? If you IM me to complain about being punished for trespassing and call me a "f**king noob" and "paranoid b*tch" or lecture me that "orbs are against the law" or "Bellicosian Covenant of Awfulness says you can't do this" or any other unwanted whiny IM spam, that is ToS Violating Harassment, and I WILL AR you for it before muting you.

All clear now ?

Your side started a war, and whine about the fact they still haven't won it.

Ah, the SLCG. May they ever decay. (Forever and ever decay.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

I have no idea what I may have said two years ago in a huge thread

I do however.

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

so yeah, in my hypothetical Mainland, orbs could call those functions but they wouldn't do anything. They could add an agent to the parcel ban list, however, which isn't great

And that is EXACTLY the kind of Privacy Hating Anti Home Owner BS that you said back then, and why I consider you to be a "Self Proclaimed Public Enemy of SecondLife", and one of the reasons I lost patience with the criminal trespasser crowd and installed a zero second orb.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Some people like having unpopular opinions, and love arguing them to death!  That's my assumption. 🙂

I agree that some people like to argue, I can understand that because it is stimulating and they might learn something in the process - not necessarily by the other person but by researching their own position more.  I think I'm a bit of a wet blanket because I usually just let it go 🤣  I believe by arguing with them, I am more likely to strengthen their view on the position by arguing with them for a prolonged period of time, because losing an argument for some people is not so enjoyable.  I spend most of my time arguing my own views with myself, I can't keep up with others 😋🪿

What is funny, on the internet, is that a few days later when they then hold the same position you do.  After witnessing this multiple times, I have decided it is kind of a waste of time to even bother, because it is not usually the position they hold, but the desire for debate, which is fine, I guess.  I mean, it could put them in a poor light, but I don't take most of the things people say here seriously.  I think over time, I just have learned not to take people so seriously on the Internet.

One thing I have found, is that a lot of people who often argue, insist that arguing is the only way to learn.  I think for them, it is the strongest motivator.  I do think if the forum closed off all arguments, then it would dry up relatively quickly, because it would not be as engaging.

I feel the desire to post the Monty Python arguing video here, but I have overplayed it on this forum.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Yes, the griefer club that pretends they are Official Maritime Law-Dog-Hero-Cops, when in reality they are just annoying mall-security-guards with delusions of power.

even mall security is hired by the mall .. no one hires SL's various cops, they chose to be jerks on purpose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

no one hires SL's various cops, they chose to be jerks on purpose.

Same old same old... 

Noisy minority of over-entitled jerks claiming power they don't have over land they don't own and don't pay for.

I did once see a "Zionist" failed-mall-cop-wannabe group, who stated they could be hired to "protect your parcel from known griefers" which I thought was ironically funny, as all these failed-mall-cop-wannabe groups basically ARE griefers.

27 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

even mall security is hired by the mall .. no one hires SL's various cops, they chose to be jerks on purpose.

This makes me wonder what the SL equivalent is of "Paul Blart, Mall Cop".

Paul Blart Mall Cop GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY