SL should have object decay

1 hour ago, Anna Salyx said:

New mainland covenant?  I think I missed something maybe? I need to go digging/finding what this is.

just sit on any abandoned mainland parcel and hit the region tab, its right there, its 99% as it always was, there are no major changes, except they might set zoning rules for the whiners to use to report their neighbors

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ah, so you want "intentional" / "desirable" decay.  Not buggy, happenstance, undesirable decay...?

Nailed it.

5 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

If a build is sitting on a piece of land, its because the owner is still paying tier.

That's not correct.

It's also not really relevant to the definition of "abandoned".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paul Hexem said:

Nailed it.

That's not correct.

It's also not really relevant to the definition of "abandoned".

then what are you talking about? sandboxes with no return time?

Stuff just doesnt sit on land that no one owns

• Like 2

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:

then what are you talking about? sandboxes with no return time?

Stuff just doesnt sit on land that no one owns

There's a lot of grandfathered land from founder accounts and the like that haven't been touched in years that nobody is paying for.

Also, there are people that willing to pay for things they never use, for whatever reason. Those parcels are no less abandoned. A quick look at last login dates confirms it pretty easily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

No.

Hard no even.

Want that 'feature' so badly? Go somewhere that has it.

My first thought when I read the OP was, don't some Linden plants change over time?

If there was a "Linden weed" that would "grow", that wouldn't be so terrible. They'd only exist if you planted them.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

No.

Hard no even.

Want that 'feature' so badly? Go somewhere that has it.

I did. It was vastly superior in terms of clutter and I immediately saw how SL could also benefit from it.

• Haha 2

Oh, you did, did you?

That's nice.

Stay there if you like the 'feature'.

Forcing users to log in on any time schedule or causing the deterioration of existing builds (for any reason) is not a feature.

Find older or half finished builds to be eyesores? Tough.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Forcing users to log in on any time schedule or causing the deterioration of existing builds (for any reason) is not a feature.

If you can't be bothered to log in once every 5 years (as was suggested), you clearly no longer care. Why should we hold back the platform for someone that doesn't care?

Or is this just another case of your "No updates ever" stance?

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

How long do you propose to give people who have paid for their land but are out of world for a while owing to real life issues?  It does sound as though you want to address something that's affecting you currently and you want a blanket solution to fix it.

It's his usual "LL should delete 99% of the content and ban anyone who has a pc that's older or cheaper than mine because I'm LEET" idea for "saving SL".

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

That doesn't mean it's not ugly, intrusive, and/or incomplete and should be removed. 

That could be somebody talking about a brand new airport, or one of those STFU Hubs the truck driver RP crowd spam all over the grid. No need for it to be "old".

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

As I understand it, they will take back abandoned land and clean them up for resale

If it's "abandoned land" they don't NEED to take it back, as it's theirs already. Nothing in the new covenant suggests they are planning on sequestrating OWNED property, that's still being paid for.

59 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

We got the ability to remove encroaching objects ourselves already. This wouldn't be much more than a step up from that.

There is a world of difference between "clearing YOUR crap off MY land" and "Goose Stepping self appointed Style Police here, I don't like your house so I'm bulldozing it, Hahahahahaahaahahhahahahaha! See my collection of billy goats under my bridge, Troll lol lol lol lol!".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Also, there are people that willing to pay for things they never use, for whatever reason. Those parcels are no less abandoned. A quick look at last login dates confirms it pretty easily.

There are some really nicely decorated places that belong to people who pay for them, but don't log in for years. I know some people who do this. They haven't lost interest, they just have really long windows of distraction with other things. Meanwhile, I can enjoy their builds for free!

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Unless the land is owned by an alt that rarely is ever used but is still on the premium plan for any number of reasons.  The land may still be under the active control an active person.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

One feature I really like about certain building games I think would be a wonderful addition to Second Life: Object decay.

If you've never experienced this in games, it's a feature where if the owner of a placed object (either individual or group) has not logged in for X amount of time (X being configurable by server owners) the object can be removed by anyone.

This allows users to remove abandoned builds that might be blocking access or views or whatever. Certain objects can of course be locked and protected by admins to bypass decay.

Naturally the dynamics of SL would require the decay timer to be much much longer than in most games, but with the new mainland covenant making it seem like they have plans for making some changes, now's the time to enact it.

SL should have a lot of things, but that's a whole other topic.

While I generally agree with you, I don't think SL was designed with all of that in mind. Not like a survival MMO or something where players are actively keeping track of their FPS and the game works hard to reduce visual clutter and loading times to keep things running smoothly on a wide variety of systems. It's just built different.

I don't personally see SL adopting those standards anytime soon. The reluctance to break old content prevents that. Definitely need to turn to more modern platforms if that kind of thing gets on your nerves. To be honest, I can't stand mainland and never go there unless a store I like happens to be parked on it. The random clutter is just too much sometimes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

And now you want to be the self appointed "log in police", and snoop on when people were last on, and decide that they don't log in often enough to continue owning what they paid for.

Hard NO.

12 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Or is this just another case of your

... "delete 99% of the content and ban anyone who has a pc older or cheaper than yours" stance.

Still a hard NO, like all of your Trol-lol-lol-lol Anti-Ideas for Dis-Improving SL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

"delete 99% of the content and ban anyone who has a pc older or cheaper than yours" stance.

That's not your stance? You're the one suggesting it.

42 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

There's a lot of grandfathered land from founder accounts and the like that haven't been touched in years that nobody is paying for.

So you are nominating yourself as the arbiter of good taste when it comes to deciding what stays and what goes?

I hope i dont come home from my week at the beach this summer and find out my clubhouse was declared an abandoned eyesore and returned 😂

• Like 2

Just now, Paul Hexem said:

That's not your stance? You're the one suggesting it.

It's YOUR stance, that you've basically brought up, in various guises, again and again and again.

"Holding the platform back"

You railed against people who will be badly affected by compulsory Pretentious Bloody Rubbish, you've demanded the right to bulldoze strangers builds because they are not to your taste and not new, you've demanded content be removed from the MP because it's older than the tat you have on sale, etc., etc., etc.

Always the same crap "Old content and old pcs are HOLDING ME BACK! Ban them Daddy Linden, BAN THEM! Because I'm Leet Paul!!"

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

One feature I really like about certain building games I think would be a wonderful addition to Second Life: Object decay.

If you've never experienced this in games, it's a feature where if the owner of a placed object (either individual or group) has not logged in for X amount of time (X being configurable by server owners) the object can be removed by anyone.

This allows users to remove abandoned builds that might be blocking access or views or whatever. Certain objects can of course be locked and protected by admins to bypass decay.

Naturally the dynamics of SL would require the decay timer to be much much longer than in most games, but with the new mainland covenant making it seem like they have plans for making some changes, now's the time to enact it.

Hell no. I guess you have no sympathy for people who might have a busy RL, be sick or in the hospital, or God forbid if the person dies and their friends or family want to still visit their build for a while. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:

So you are nominating yourself as the arbiter of good taste when it comes to deciding what stays and what goes?

Nope. Just trying to have a friendly discussion about the idea of nominating someone else.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

If you can't be bothered to log in once every 5 years (as was suggested), you clearly no longer care. Why should we hold back the platform for someone that doesn't care?

Or is this just another case of your "No updates ever" stance?

lol so a build off in the corner of mainland somewhere is holding back the platform?

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
spaces between words are wonderful
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

It's YOUR stance, that you've basically brought up

No, I didn't. You were the first person to say it in the thread. That makes it your idea.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Hell no. I guess you have no sympathy for people who might have a busy RL, be sick or in the hospital, or God forbid if the person dies and their friends or family want to still visit their build for a while. 

I suggested in my very first post methods for preservation of specific builds.

We're talking entirely about people that no longer care.

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Paul Hexem said:

No, I didn't. You were the first person to say it in the thread. That makes it your idea.

ALL your suggestions, in EVERY thread you make them, invariably boil down to "delete 99% ban 99% because I have an expensive leet gamer rig". It's your defining ideology for "Saving SL".

That's why virtually everyone invariably says "Oh Hell No" to your suggestions, except for a couple of the more repugnant Fossils.

• Like 2