SL should have object decay

To be fair to Paul, many of us have wanted to have actual discussion and idea threads. Someone always comes in and attacks the people and ideas. It really doesn't become the wanted discussion.

It takes a certain kind of intelligence to be able to entertain an idea without actually believing in it. I'm afraid very few people here have that kind of intelligence. This leads nearly every thread exactly where this one is.

It stifles imaginations and any new ideas that might be brought up even if the intention was never a feature request (which you clearly stated it isn't.)

I wish discussion threads worked, but most people just don't have the maturity to discuss ideas instead of just attacking.

On topic: Leave mainland to its chaotic and empty demise. Those who want unhindered creativity or just a place to log back in a decade later to work on a half finished build a place that is exactly as they left it.  Lifetime accounts with their land were promised it would always be theirs.  No one should touch it until LL closes the doors and turn of the servers 

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

53 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
56 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Is each one a memorial to a dead person?

Would that make the drinking game less effective?

Is this like the tradition of lifting your feet when driving past a cemetery?

• Like 1

Just now, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

To be fair to Paul, many of us have wanted to have actual discussion and idea threads. Someone always comes in and attacks the people and ideas. It really doesn't become the wanted discussion.

It takes a certain kind of intelligence to be able to entertain an idea without actually believing in it. I'm afraid very few people here have that kind of intelligence. This leads nearly every thread exactly where this one is.

It stifles imaginations and any new ideas that might be brought up even if the intention was never a feature request (which you clearly stayed it isn't.)

I wish discussion threads worked, but most people just don't have the maturity to discuss ideas instead of just attacking.

On topic: Leave mainland to its chaotic and empty demise. Those who want unhindered creativity or just a place to log back in a decade later to work on a half finished build a place that is exactly as they left it.  Lifetime accounts with their land were promised it would always be theirs.  No one should touch it until LL closes the doors and turn of the servers 

Peeve: I gave a long, thoughtful answer with examples earlier and no replies (or reaction). So, participation, even serious participation, does not always matter.

In fairness to me, this thread seemed like a possible joke / troll at first, given the specific topic and history. I tried though!

• Like 3

In the spirit of discussion, let's say LL agrees and deletes any builds by people who haven't logged in for 5 years.  What happens to their land? Is it just left empty, but it still belongs to them? Does the Lab confiscate that land, too, at 10 years of no log-on?

We could all hope they never log back in, but what if they do?  What if the original builder no longer uses that account, but still logs in on an alt? 

Would it start with email warnings? We see you haven't logged in for 5 years. If you wish to keep your land, please log back in at least every 5 years or your stuff will be removed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

In the spirit of discussion, let's say LL agrees and deletes any builds by people who haven't logged in for 5 years.  What happens to their land? Is it just left empty, but it still belongs to them? Does the Lab confiscate that land, too, at 10 years of no log-on?

We could all hope they never log back in, but what if they do?  What if the original builder no longer uses that account, but still logs in on an alt? 

Would it start with email warnings? We see you haven't logged in for 5 years. If you wish to keep your land, please log back in at least every 5 years or your stuff will be removed.

Sure, a stipulation that a resident should log in annually to maintain their builds and in world content wouldn't be far from unusual. The biggest reason I see that they don't do something to that effect is that the hope is the resident will just continue paying and just forgot that they have an account on Second Life. In some ways I think that is unfair and believe that Linden lab should have a little more email contact with residents. Some platforms do it way too much but the lab barely does any at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Great questions. 

Adding: What happens to the money spent on their land, are they still paying even though their land and objects are gone? (There's so, so many reasons all this is a "bad idea".)

Did anyone suggest "moving" parcels yet, as is done with small parcels today per discussions on the updated covenant?  Or, "we'll restore you a parcel somewhere else"?

Why does this entire question only apply to "public" mainland?  Obviously, "private regions" are "private" land.  But, why should the fact this is on "public" mainland mean users are treated any differently?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @Love Zhaoying!

Good question! The idea of moving unvisited parcels is an idea.  What about someone who hasn't logged in for years, but left their land open as a public access park or playground?

There would still have to be a decider for what parcel is pretty enough to stay and which gets items returned. I don't like the idea of a committee deciding ugly or pretty, but it's still an idea.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: I gave a long, thoughtful answer with examples earlier and no replies (or reaction). So, participation, even serious participation, does not always matter.

In fairness to me, this thread seemed like a possible joke / troll at first, given the specific topic and history. I tried though!

Also an option: You generate so many comments so fast, it's hard to keep up.

20 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

The land itself should remain in their name of course. Warnings would be the absolute bare minimum, too.

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Great questions. 

Adding: What happens to the money spent on their land, are they still paying even though their land and objects are gone? (There's so, so many reasons all this is a "bad idea".)

Did anyone suggest "moving" parcels yet, as is done with small parcels today per discussions on the updated covenant?  Or, "we'll restore you a parcel somewhere else"?

Why does this entire question only apply to "public" mainland?  Obviously, "private regions" are "private" land.  But, why should the fact this is on "public" mainland mean users are treated any differently?

I think it's important to recognize that the objects aren't "gone" but autoreturned, something we all have to deal with at some point regardless.

I like the idea of it being preserved somewhere, too. We almost have that effect with coalesced objects already.

I think for private regions it should be up to the estate owner, including time settings.

11 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Thank you @Arielle Popstar!  I am not sure how other platforms deal with this. 

Maybe builds are only in danger of being returned if no one advocates for the parcel and no one has visited it at all for a few years?  That would save those old builds and memorials that people still visit.

In other platforms that have it, the object doesn't automatically get returned. It simply becomes eligible for it. For example, I had one where I didn't log in for a month and all my objects decayed. None got destroyed though- I was well out of the way and nobody felt the need to use the function on me. Once I logged in after that month, the timer reset and I went on with my day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Personally I think if someone hasn't logged in in 2 or 3  years  their objects could be returned and the land smoothed to match the surroundings.  Perhaps greenery could be added (in theme) as some sort of beautification/ buffering  process.  

The land would still be there if they came back and the items would have been returned to their inventory. 

I don't know about moving parcels in these cases. They involve some prime real estate sometimes. If the land is owned it could remain owned. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Good question! The idea of moving unvisited parcels is an idea.  What about someone who hasn't logged in for years, but left their land open as a public access park or playground?

I would think that would be as easy as submitting a ticket to LL, "I see the decay timer on this is active, but this is a wonderful edition to this area, please preserve it."

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

It stifles imaginations and any new ideas that might be brought up even if the intention was never a feature request (which you clearly stated it isn't.)

Well, this post insulted nearly everyone who posts on this forum.  I didn't realize the collective IQ here was so low. Thanks!

Edited by Kathlen Onyx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Well, this post insulted nearly everyone who posts on this forum.

Felt more like it was insulting all the people in the last 12 pages that were calling me names for daring to have such a thought.

• Like 1

One problem I do see is that often, people switch to an alt and could be using their main's land/build as a homebase.  They may have even forgotten the log in or.password or the email they used for that original account.  Sending warning emails to an email account that no one accesses anymore is pointless.  So then what?  All of a sudden that alt logs in one day to find everything gone?  Parts disappearing?  Would they notice before it's too late?

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Felt more like it was insulting all the people in the last 12 pages that were calling me names for daring to have such a thought.

Well tbf only two people did this. One does it on purpose and yes, the other one is definitely getting all bent out of shape over a hypothetical idea.

We all know this will never happen because this is a social platform,  not a game.

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

One problem I do see is that often, people switch to an alt and could be using their main's land/build as a homebase.  They may have even forgotten the log in or.password or the email they used for that original account.  Sending warning emails to an email account that no one accesses anymore is pointless.  So then what?  All of a sudden that alt logs in one day to find everything gone?  Parts disappearing?  Would they notice before it's too late?

They could easily take advantage of the aforementioned preservation options. "My home location is here and I use this place" is a great case to preserve something.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Well, this post insulted nearly everyone who posts on this forum.  I didn't realize the collective IQ here was so low. Thanks!

I include myself in that since I get carried away and can be petty and dismissive, too.

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I do kind of like the preservation option.  I am sure it could be misused, but at least people could give an opinion on land in their region

It's not so terrible an idea if the owner can just log in 25 years later and click "restore", I think.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I would think that would be as easy as submitting a ticket to LL, "I see the decay timer on this is active, but this is a wonderful edition to this area, please preserve it."

Currently, the "preservation" concept is limited to "memorials" etc., for example land with builds thought to be significant, but the creator died.  

Two options:

a) Preserve "by default"

b) Do not preserve "by default"  <= Your reply assumes when the "decay timer" expires, something will happen / or action must be taken to prevent it. So, assume it must reflect this option..

I pity the person who wakes from a coma after 10 years, or gets out of prison after 15 years, to find their Second Life land and investment gone, even though they were paying the entire time. <= I take their side.

25 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

It's not so terrible an idea if the owner can just log in 25 years later and click "restore", I think.

I guess it will get restored someplace akin to where "The End of Time" is, in the recent "Loki" Marvel TV series..

Surrounded by junk and chaos.

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It really does work both ways, don't you agree?

Anyone who rents or buys land that has stuff they don't like on it, certainly could - and can - rent or buy other land.  That is, starting with the assumption that the stuff they don't like was there when they bought / rented the land.

I suppose there's an edge case where, "I bought my land 10 years ago, and the people who put up this monstrosity haven't logged in for a whole year!!!"

So it really does work both ways..

Are you the "new guy" and the bad stuff was already there? Oops on you (could just sell your land / move elsewhere).  <= I do not support doing anything for the "new guy" in this edge case.

Are you the "old guy" and the stuff has been there awhile with no sign from the owners? File a ticket. Who knows what may happen? <= I support some consideration for the "old guy" in this edge case.

Are you "just wanting to rent or buy some land in the area", but don't like the bad stuff there?  Ohhh, that's too bad. <= I do not support doing anything for the person who does not have an actual "dog in the fight".

Re-quoting this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Currently, the "preservation" concept is limited to "memorials" etc., for example land with builds thought to be significant, but the creator died.  

Two options:

a) Preserve "by default"

b) Do not preserve "by default"  <= Your reply assumes when the "decay timer" expires, something will happen / or action must be taken to prevent it. So, assume it must reflect this option..

I pity the person who wakes from a coma after 10 years, or gets out of prison after 15 years, to find their Second Life land and investment gone, even though they were paying the entire time. <= I take their side.

If the land is just cleared after some amount of time but ownership is still with the original owner, it would still be there after that decade long coma.  A "restore" button could be pushed by the parcel owner and all the stuff put back.  If the person never comes back, then the parcel is left empty.

• Like 1

Just now, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

If the land is just cleared after some amount of time but ownership is still with the original owner, it would still be there after that decade long coma.  A "restore" button could be pushed by the parcel owner and all the stuff put back.  If the person never comes back, then the parcel is left empty.

Ok, so you are not suggesting (at least in YOUR interpretation of Paul's ask) that the land be moved, or be resold to someone else?

Unfortunately, the "move the 128m parcel, please" actual examples set precedent.