Ask a Child Avatar

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Stands out as a comedy!

..which inspires an "AMA" question: Do child avatars mostly have a "sense of humor", lots of laughing and jokes etc.? Are some (or even groups) serious types, like how some of [me/us/royal we] perceive Tinies?

Do child avatars mostly have a sense of humor or are they serious types? 

I can only speak for myself. It really depends on who I'm with and what is going on. I tend to be the most open and unfiltered with people I really trust. If I feel safe you're likely to see me either be very goofy and silly or feeling very big emotions. 

If you don't know me well then you're unlikely to see anything of the sort as my default is to squash emotions down - this is a form of disassociation. The mask comes down. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

How soon after you got into SL did you decide you wanted to use a child avatar? 

Did you try other types of avatars first?

Do you still use adult or other types of avatars too?

Do you have friends who are Tinies, Dinkies or other small type avatars?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

When I initially joined the platform, I felt very uneasy about some of the mature content. I switched to being a child avatar because I felt it would be the best way to avoid adult activities.

I have many different avatars, but I tend to use non-human avatars the most when I'm out and about. I don't enjoy being an adult female in SL, so I sometimes use male avatars instead, but for some reason I tend to attract more romantic advances when in male form which defeats the whole purpose of using them.

I don't have any friends that are tinies but I love that community and very much identify with being that small in SL since my main avatar aside from my child av is a tiny robot:)

Edited by Sadvhi
  • Like 2

• Moles
Posted (edited)

I'm finding this thread very interesting and informative, and would be grateful if people who are fed up with the topic -- which I agree has been discussed rather exhaustively of late -- don't try to derail it with off-topic complaints.

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

When I first joined Second Life, I think it was probably months later that I decided to use a child avatar. It's been a while, so I may not remember everything.  I've used avatars from *NAM* such as a Chibi Dragon and a Chibi Dog. I am not sure if products from that store are still around. 

I don't use many other avatar types as of currently. I do have an android-like avatar but it was used for a roleplaying sim that I used to be on before it closed months ago. I've actually made friends with those who have other small type avatars, and I had one friend who actually had a dinkie avatar if I remember correctly. 

Edited by NicholasTheHufflepuffWizard
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

I'm finding this thread very interesting and informative, and would be grateful if people who are fed up with the topic -- which I agree has been discussed rather exhaustively of late -- don't try to derail it with off-topic complaints.

Thanks, @Quartz Mole!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are child avatars "always in character"?  

One of my first SL family members was first introduced as a feral dog (I forget what breed).  Since she was in character - and NEVER "spoke" (just barked and ran around), if she didn't eventually switch avatars and/or start "speaking", we never would have "gotten to know her"!  I know that is different than a child avatar always "being in character", I am just relating the story for context.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Madi Melodious said:

Jacqueline Trudeau is a established boat builder in SL.  I have all of her boats on my alt and I don't think she has any adult poses in any of her boats.  I've been sailing in SL for over 12 years and I recommend Trudeau boats.   Some of them are dated but they are still very good boats.  

Her latest boat the Trudeau 32 has adult animations in the cabin passenger sits, so could be easily missed if you didn't read the notecard all the way through. It is avsit powered so easy to edit out. It is the only Trudeau with adult animations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I agree with Quartz. I'm certainly enjoying the thread, but I'm a sucker for a good AMA.

@brodiac90, @Madi Melodious, @NicholasTheHufflepuffWizard, @Sadvhi or anyone else who wants to respond, I have another question for yas!

Are there any products you struggle to find but wish existed? Is there a big gap in the children's market in some areas? Like for example, I can't off the top of my head remember if I've ever seen many photography poses or photo backdrops that are specifically for children. I've seen some that COULD be used for that (general nature/outdoor scenes or food/restaurant scenes and stuff like that), but they're more general. I haven't seen anything like an amusement park or toy store backdrop or something like that.

Another one I wonder about - kid-friendly vehicles. Like the ride-on construction trucks and tractors and little sports cars and things, LOL. Do a lot of those exist?

This is your chance to make your plea to any merchants who may be watching the thread! 😄

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

When I first joined SL 13 years ago my first alt was started as a child avatar, for reasons I choose not to go into anymore.  Well, she met someone, and they started hanging out in SL together.  At first it was completely innocent, just two people that had a lot in common.   

They started going to events but after being tossed out of one.  No matter how innocent it is, an adult av and child av dancing together doesn't look right.   So, decisions were made, and Maggie grew up.   A few months later Struck and Maggie were married in SL and have been married happily for 13 years.   

A few years later I wanted to go back to my roots in SL and run a child av again for various reasons.  The main one being simply because I want too.  

Yes,  I have tried other avatar types but away go back to this one.  

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I agree with Quartz. I'm certainly enjoying the thread, but I'm a sucker for a good AMA.

@brodiac90, @Madi Melodious, @NicholasTheHufflepuffWizard, @Sadvhi or anyone else who wants to respond, I have another question for yas!

Are there any products you struggle to find but wish existed? Is there a big gap in the children's market in some areas? Like for example, I can't off the top of my head remember if I've ever seen many photography poses or photo backdrops that are specifically for children. I've seen some that COULD be used for that (general nature/outdoor scenes or food/restaurant scenes and stuff like that), but they're more general. I haven't seen anything like an amusement park or toy store backdrop or something like that.

Another one I wonder about - kid-friendly vehicles. Like the ride-on construction trucks and tractors and little sports cars and things, LOL. Do a lot of those exist?

This is your chance to make your plea to any merchants who may be watching the thread! 😄

Let's see... I think the one thing I tried to look for was Diaper Covers for my Toddleedoo avatar. There are ones that exist for Toddleedoo and other avatars from what I remember, but some are meant for girls. I've bought mesh diapers from the [Back to basics] store in Second Life, and I've wanted to at one point to find a cover that can fit over it easily. 

For the question about there being a big gap in the children's market in some areas, I would probably expect that there would be. But I cannot be fully sure about this. 

Photography poses are usually simple to find, and I've bought many off the Second Life Marketplace. I actually have some kid-friendly toy vehicles myself, with some coming from the store known as Starries. It's a nice store for finding cool toys, furniture, and even the Upsies HUD. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I guess I'm always in character if you consider character is the same character inworld as I'm typing here.   I run my child avatar the same as I would any other type of avatar.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NicholasTheHufflepuffWizard said:

Let's see... I think the one thing I tried to look for was Diaper Covers for my Toddleedoo avatar. There are ones that exist for Toddleedoo and other avatars from what I remember, but some are meant for girls. I've bought mesh diapers from the [Back To Basics] store in Second Life, and I've wanted to at one point to find a cover that can fit over it easily. 

Photography poses are usually simple to find, and I've bought many off the Second Life Marketplace. I actually have some kid-friendly toy vehicles myself, with some coming from the store known as Starries. It's a nice store for finding cool toys, furniture, and even the Upsies HUD. 

Thank you for the answer! Diaper covers, though. I would've never guessed that would be on the difficult-to-find list. I didn't even consider you may be missing some basics like that.

Oh, and I just peeked at Starries on the Marketplace. My first time seeing it. There's SO MUCH CUTE STUFF. You guys kind of do have everything. The bubble lawn mower and water slides and stuff. That's cute as heck!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:
32 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I guess I'm always in character if you consider character is the same character inworld as I'm typing here.   I run my child avatar the same as I would any other type of avatar.  

I suppose in the context of my "friend was a non-speaking feral dog" story:  depending on the interpretation of "in character", do a lot of child avatars who portray YOUNG children (toddlers, those who do not have a fully-developed intellect, etc.) tend to actually "speak" at the level one would expect from a child of that age, and perhaps go OOC (out of character) when needing to discuss topics out of their "age bracket"?

OR: do the younger kids tend to speak like older kids?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Thank you for the answer! Diaper covers, though. I would've never guessed that would be on the difficult-to-find list. I didn't even consider you may be missing some basics like that.

Oh, and I just peeked at Starries on the Marketplace. My first time seeing it. There's SO MUCH CUTE STUFF. You guys kind of do have everything. The bubble lawn mower and water slides and stuff. That's cute as heck!

You're welcome.

I remember the last time I checked for Diaper Covers for Toddleedoo avatars, I couldn't quite find what I was looking for. 

Starries does indeed have some wonderful items for kids!

• Like 2

Just now, NicholasTheHufflepuffWizard said:

Yeah, the last time I checked for Diaper Covers for my Toddleedoo avatar, I couldn't quite find what I was looking for. 

"Diaper covers" sound similar to "pull-up diapers". I may not be using the correct term, but I believe they are for older kids who can pull them up themselves.

Unless "diaper covers" are just to.."cover diapers"..

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"Diaper covers" sound similar to "pull-up diapers". I may not be using the correct term, but I believe they are for older kids who can pull them up themselves.

Unless "diaper covers" are just to.."cover diapers"..

That is rather interesting, it may indeed sound similar in different cases. Depending on context. Diaper Covers would be used to actually cover the diapers up entirely. 

I actually have Pull-Ups from the [Back 2 basics] store that actually have Swim Diaper patterns as well. In that case, it can serve as a Pull-Up and a Swim Diaper as well. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NicholasTheHufflepuffWizard said:

it can serve as a Pull-Up and a Swim Diaper as well. 

Yes, kind of what I meant! (But depending on "layers", perhaps could be worn "over" something.)

Back to the AMA: How often does a Child Avatar need to change their diapers?

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I never feel like I'm roleplaying as a child avatar. I'm quite childlike by nature in real life so I just feel like I'm being myself in SL at all times. In the past when I've been involved in a family dynamic in SL, I developed genuine perceptions of those around me as parental figures, relatives, or siblings. It was an intriguing phenomenon where - despite not actually roleplaying, we were still somehow able to organically adopt familial roles and view each other through that lens, as if we were truly related.

That being said, I don't mind when people diverge from their roles, but I've found that discussion about real life often disrupts the sense of immersion. SL has always been a sanctuary for me where I come to escape from the harsh realities and challenges of the real world, so I often feel uncomfortable discussing RL concerns, particularly in a family roleplay environment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I suppose in the context of my "friend was a non-speaking feral dog" story:  depending on the interpretation of "in character", do a lot of child avatars who portray YOUNG children (toddlers, those who do not have a fully-developed intellect, etc.) tend to actually "speak" at the level one would expect from a child of that age, and perhaps go OOC (out of character) when needing to discuss topics out of their "age bracket"?

OR: do the younger kids tend to speak like older kids?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Not really many child avatars I hang around chat as children if that is what you are asking.   I guess some do when they are doing family role playing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Madi Melodious said:

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Not really many child avatars I hang around chat as children if that is what you are asking.   I guess some do when they are doing family role playing.

Ok, then to me your answer means: Not all child avatars are always "in character" as a child of the age they portray.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes, kind of what I meant! (But depending on "layers", perhaps could be worn "over" something.)

Back to the AMA: How often does a Child Avatar need to change their diapers?

Unless its like a mesh diaper with actual scripted functions, then those with younger child avatars will not actually need to change their diapers. However... diaper changes can be roleplayed out. Especially for those who don't wear scripted diapers. So it depends on what a user has for their child avatars. 

Also, I've seen another question i've yet to answer, and its about how child avatars speak. I'd say it depend on who's playing the actual avatar themselves. While I do have a Toddleedoo Baby avatar, if I am OOC or not in a roleplay that requires to act like the character themselves, I will prefer to speak normally. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NicholasTheHufflepuffWizard said:

While I do have a Toddleedoo Baby avatar, if I am OOC or not in a roleplay that requires to act like the character themselves, I will prefer to speak normally. 

Thank goodness! If a child avatar friend always lisped (for example), I'd send them to "speech therapy"!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Thank goodness! If a child avatar friend always lisped (for example), I'd send them to "speech therapy"!

Even in roleplay, I prefer to try and speak normally as well, depending on what I am doing. I don't mind those who use baby-talk for any toddler or baby avatars, I'll just let them do what they want. It's all up to them for what they wish to do. 

• Like 4