Anatomy of Trolls and How to Deal with Them

7 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

You take a great deal of interest in me Scylla, some might say its because you secretly like me and wish you could be more like me 😬

Oh, undoubtedly. I had no idea I was so transparent.

Sooo . . . no answer then?

Ok. That's sort of an answer actually. 🙂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh, undoubtedly. I had no idea I was so transparent.

Sooo . . . no answer then?

Ok. That's sort of an answer actually. 🙂

I refuse to validate your spurious allegations by responding to them. 😁

• Like 1

The funniest, harmless trolling I've encountered in SL was when I had a house on mainland. I guy IMed me from outside of my house, asking if he could use my bathroom. I said no. He begged me. I still said no, and he left. I imagine he went around the grid camming inside houses, looking for bathrooms & then IMing their owners to ask if he could use them. Now, I'd send him to the movie theater in the Welcome Hub, because that's the closest public restroom I know of.

I have an item similar to BilliJo's gold ring. When I got it, it was called a scarf. I renamed it as a "friendly little monster". I don't give it to random people though. I save it to give to griefers and people who irritate me. One guy caged me when I was on public sandbox. I TPed out, sat on the ground, & then gave him my "friendly little monster" gift before I left. I knew he wouldn't be able to resist trying it on.

Humor that insults or torments others is the lowest form. I prefer humor that's clever, comments on humanity, or is self-depricating.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I refuse to validate your spurious allegations by responding to them. 😁

I made no "allegations." I described your own behaviour as you yourself laid it out in a thread you yourself started, and in which you yourself asserted that "The only reason  I have wasps to chase away visitors is because  I thought it would be amusing to have wasps chase away visitors."

And I asked a question which you appear to be unwilling to answer. That is of course your right.

ta ta!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I guy IMed me from outside of my house, asking if he could use my bathroom.

Huh.

I have my suspicions about where that one would have gone, had you allowed him access . . . but maybe I just possess a lurid and suspicious mind, and he really just needed to pee?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Wait..are you guys trolling each other?

Of course! I'm eagerly emulating BJ in every way possible!

Except I'm going to use a battery of surface-to-surface missiles instead of bees to have fun with visitors to my public park. A little showy, maybe, but it'll make for better pictures!

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

One is gaslighting and the other being disingenuous. There is a difference there somewhere!

The former knows what the word "gaslighting" actually means. Which apparently you don't.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anatomy of a troll:

Gigantic heads

Small heart and brain

Delusions of grandeur

Narcissistic 

Tough skin

Clueless

Cold blooded, but they never need sun to really get warmed up

Need validation and responses to bait or they starve and become more and more transparent until they disappear in one form only to reappear in a new one.

Seek perceived power by attempting to destroy others.

Literally cannot see their own reflection in a mirror 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I made no "allegations." I described your own behaviour as you yourself laid it out in a thread you yourself started, and in which you yourself asserted that "The only reason  I have wasps to chase away visitors is because  I thought it would be amusing to have wasps chase away visitors."

And I asked a question which you appear to be unwilling to answer. That is of course your right.

ta ta!

suppose you go walking in a national forest and you are attacked and maybe even killed by a swarm of hornets. Should the forest service have killed all the hornets before inviting you in?

I’m pretty sure I also said in that post that my hornet swarm adds to the reality of the experience.

It’s just a little harmless fun, chill Scylla

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
changed a word
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Griefing is a term used in multiplayer video games to describe the behavior of a player who deliberately irritates, harasses, annoys, or prevents the progress of other players.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This is awesome! So if we grief you, it's just harmless fun! YAY!!!!

Depends if one is going to buy the other a cold beer or drink after and laugh about the incident or run away.

I had a random guy pull a prank on me and afterwards bought me something from my wishlist. He didn't run away after the prank, told me how he did it then bought me the gift.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Griefing is a term used in multiplayer video games to describe the behavior of a player who deliberately irritates, harasses, annoys, or prevents the progress of other players.

Interesting definition, IMO it does not appear to "take sides" as it does not imply "harmful", "harmless", or anything in between!

14 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Some are irritated just by me posting! That does not make me a griefer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In my opinion, If someone wants to trick, tease, annoy or troll people on their own property, that's their business. Those who are annoyed are free to leave. I don't think this sort of antisocial behavior generally rises to the level of griefing unless they're doing it on public property, on someone else's property, or if they're following or repeatedly harassing the target.

There is one other way that antisocial behavior becomes griefing - when the trolling uses references to RL tragedy, suffering, disability, minority status, grief, horror or atrocities.

For instance, there were a pair of "portals" put up recently in New York and Dublin, which let people at each location see those in the other city in real time. When people flipped off or mooned each other, this was just harmless trolling. When a Dubliner showed a picture of the Twin Towers under attack to the New Yorkers, that was griefing, because people had lost real loved ones in that incident.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The Forums are not a "multiplayer video game":

17 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I wasn't directing that at you but at BJ and her griefing with her bees.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The Forums are not a "multiplayer video game":

No, but there are multiple users here trying to accomplish something - an intelligent and entertaining discourse perhaps? When someone purposely impeeds the functions of the forum, they are griefing it - harming the intended functions of Linden Lab's property while customers gather here to share information and a sense of community.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2