Lindens Statements from Governance Meeting

8 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I remember teleporting to a sim once back when I actually enjoyed exploring the grid - can't remember exactly what it said or how it was described in the Search directory, but I landed and it looked like one of those ye olde towns. Totally deserted. Started wandering around. Saw some cauldrons scattered around with some very odd looking things inside. W...wha's that ... ok let's just not look in there. Kept wandering. Entered a building. Found a kitchen. Took me a few moments to realize this was a whole cannibal village.

That's putting it mildly as @Scylla Rhiadra very much knows what I'm talking about here, but I do not want to get into that. I hauled my butt RIGHT out.

andcya-bye.gif

If they allow that kind of violence on Mature, I'd be absolutely horrified.

As for the video, I've finished watching it and all I can say is - bras on infants, seriously? We're really doing this?

Is THAT where you got your taste for human flesh? 
..I'm thinking of someone else, must be!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

REAVERS!!!!! (that is the only sci-fi series/movie I know about but I loved Firefly/Serenity!)

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

A friend goes around in a dog avatar..an 18 years old is beyond a dogs normal life range. He hates photos of pets being dressed up, his day will be spoiled if tell him he has to wear shorts now :)

But 1 human year is approximately 7 dog years!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Yes, lots of shocking things back then, and yes, some of it was disturbing. Given your reaction to the cannibal village, I am guessing that you would be shocked or worse by many of hte things *I* did back in my early years in SL. I did not do anything violent, and did not look for anything violent, though.

Unfortunately, I *did* have two violent, traumatic things happen to me in the first week I was in SL that stay with me to this day. I AR'd one of them and was never told what was even done, I assume nothing. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Overall though I enjoyed my first few years in SL more than all the years since put together.

I'm not disturbed by anything adult or mature generally, as long as it's legal, of course. It's the violence/gore that I typically have issues with. I'm extremely squeamish. Like, intensely squeamish. It's funny because I've been reading horror my entire life, so text doesn't bother me whatsoever. I've read some crazy ish. It's the visuals, though. I wouldn't be able to make it through the tamest R-rated movie if it had blood in it, in most cases. At least not without opening another tab and waiting for it to pass.

So no, I wouldn't be too shocked by much if it wasn't violent. That's just something I've never been able to handle seeing.

I do agree with you though, that old SL felt a lot more enjoyable than what we've got now. I'm not sure why, really. I adore the level of customization we have here now as a result of mesh, but something just hasn't clicked with me since I came back in 2020. Like, zero desire to be social in-world when I was entirely the opposite in the early days. Feeling more meh about it as things develop, too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brodiac90 said:

The chat was going crazy. It was nice to meet some of the people from the threads though. Me and @Madi Melodious stood together as a form of solidatiry since we've both been heavily involved in all the discussions. Saw @Coffee Pancake too.

c3c16bb604f803c813f5e039844ad668.jpg

I didn't walk away with much hope for this process but I did manage to snag me two of those bears.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There were one or two really and truly rude and obnoxious people there that forced me briefly to reconsider my feelings about violence and children . . .

YOU on the other hand were brilliant. You were well informed, not pushy or overly noisy, and in general a voice of reason. So thank you from ALL of us for that.

I thought he was awesome.  It's kind of sad when the kids have to be the adults in the room.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

It sure seems they still don't understand how deeply silly that is. If there's some other reasoning behind it, some AI enforcement trick they think it facilitates or something, they can either tell us what the heck they're doing, or appear to be completely out to lunch.

58 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Due diligence? Plausible deniability?

Probably both of those things. And I think they want "naked" children's skins off the MP, preferably replaced with one "modest" ones they can point too should the need ever arise.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:
9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What?

It was a bad joke because you mentioned that horrible scene with the cannibalism. Sorry!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

I thought he was awesome.  It's kind of sad when the kids have to be the adults in the room.

Your were great too Madi! Thank you both also for your invaluable contributions here!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'm not disturbed by anything adult or mature generally, as long as it's legal, of course. It's the violence/gore that I typically have issues with. I'm extremely squeamish. Like, intensely squeamish. It's funny because I've been reading horror my entire life, so text doesn't bother me whatsoever. I've read some crazy ish. It's the visuals, though. I wouldn't be able to make it through the tamest R-rated movie if it had blood in it, in most cases. At least not without opening another tab and waiting for it to pass.

So no, I wouldn't be too shocked by much if it wasn't violent. That's just something I've never been able to handle seeing.

I do agree with you though, that old SL felt a lot more enjoyable than what we've got now. I'm not sure why, really. I adore the level of customization we have here now as a result of mesh, but something just hasn't clicked with me since I came back in 2020. Like, zero desire to be social in-world when I was entirely the opposite in the early days. Feeling more meh about it as things develop, too.

I am much the same wrt gore, even written stuff. I have only ever seen two horror movies my whole life, too, those things scare me *****less.

The stuff I did was not violent (at least not the things in which I willingly participated), but a lot of people would find it really disturbing and disgusting, I would think. Then again, several people I met in later years had done pretty much the same stuff, so perhaps I only *thought* it was outre lol.

I do not want to get too OT for too long, so I won't get into what I preferred about 'the old days.' Probably not worth starting a thread over, either, for a lot of reasons.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

One Halloween we set up a zombie hunt in a moderate sim.  There was violence but it was more of a cartoon violence.   We went into battle with the prim zombies.  I was in the Combat Tots battle group.

Edited by Madi Melodious
  • Like 1

As to the rest of my thoughts (bras on infants, really?), I'm not overly optimistic.

This is going to break a ton of content. I'm happy about the modesty panels in general for child and teen human avatars, but it's poorly implemented IMO.

Also, if we're going to be putting merchildren (ok, with that, you could at least make it make sense - see the animated The Little Mermaid 2), fae, elves, furries, and whatever else in the "needs modesty" category, now you're going to need creators who possibly don't even exist in-world anymore to update years old content. You'll need fantasy skins with modesty layers. You'll need furry skins with modesty layers (that's...). Lil werewolf cub running around in a bra over its fur. Oof. I just can't take it seriously.

Also, I don't think the non-binary avatar questions got answered at all. That's not good. Bleh.

8 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I am much the same wrt gore, even written stuff. I have only ever seen two horror movies my whole life, too, those things scare me *****less.

The stuff I did was not violent (at least not the things in which I willingly participated), but a lot of people would find it really disturbing and disgusting, I would think. Then again, several people I met in later years had done pretty much the same stuff, so perhaps I only *thought* it was outre lol.

I do not want to get too OT for too long, so I won't get into what I preferred about 'the old days.' Probably not worth starting a thread over, either, for a lot of reasons.

Lol, I am not going to judge you or anyone else for the crazy stuff many of us got up to in the Wild West days, that's for sure. I agree with you about a new thread probably not being worth it, too. It'd just make me nostalgic anyway! 😄

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Furries - ferals - with modesty layers sure is a surprise! I guess the answer is to present as an adult!

..whatever an adult feral is!

I don't expect ferrals to be wearing panties and bras. I mean, where would a bra even go on a feral wolf? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I don't expect ferrals to be wearing panties and bras. I mean, where would a bra even go on a feral wolf? 

That's the tricky bit. Since wolves have six nipples, they'd need three!

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Wait, I thought the feral thing was a joke. They aren't seriously included, right?

I walked away from that meeting thinking they were serious about all this no matter how ridiculous was or unenforceable it is. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Wait, I thought the feral thing was a joke. They aren't seriously included, right?

If they mentioned Furries..now we have to verify that Ferals are NOT included. Because Ferals are Furries..right? Just as Anthro Furries are also Furries.

ETA: I didn't mean it as a joke.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Since, technically, the skin is UNDER any animal's fur...

The "naughty parts" on most mammals are not under their fur, though they don't have to be shown on an avatar either.

My TWI wolf has an option to pee by squating or lifting a leg (I think), but those parts are not included in a basic avatar. They are optional add-ons that could be bought separately.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3

I do see the tricky situation of the cubs - furry kids - caught up in this. In case Tommy decides to read this whole thread too (and I truly feel for him if he does - get another cup of coffee, man!) I'd suggest an extra option:

Let kid mesh bodies implement a modesty layer in the body itself. I'm not 100% up on the technical stuff, but it seems like on a BOM body, you could opt to have certain parts render with a solid texture instead of the BOM texture. That way the skin underneath shows with the modesty layer on the body while not needing the skin itself to be modified in any way.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

As people wee warned in the 250+ page monster thread.

Anyone "presenting as a minor" is included, male, female, other, human, cat, dog, hobbit, alien, anime or whatever.

And BoM won't be compliant after the grace period.

People were told but...

"Blah blah BoM undies will save the day blah blah I have paws instead of feet so I'm exempt blah blah but it's a JAPANESE badly drawn cartoon of a child's face blah blah but I'm not a child, I present as 17 barely illegal blah blah"

Too many in that thread who overthink ass backwards from the wrong starting point, and who are now disappointed that the "impractical" rules are not changing to fit their flawed assumptions.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Arwyn Quandry said:

I do see the tricky situation of the cubs - furry kids - caught up in this. In case Tommy decides to read this whole thread too (and I truly feel for him if he does - get another cup of coffee, man!) I'd suggest an extra option:

Let kid mesh bodies implement a modesty layer in the body itself. I'm not 100% up on the technical stuff, but it seems like on a BOM body, you could opt to have certain parts render with a solid texture instead of the BOM texture. That way the skin underneath shows with the modesty layer on the body while not needing the skin itself to be modified in any way.

This sounds to me like a good, workable solution. If one uses alpha cuts through a HUD, the cuts over the genitalia, butt crack, nipples and areola could be solid grey, rather than having the BOM compatibility texture.

• Like 2