Discuss or Comments about Child, Adult, Can't Tell Thread

• Moles

Hi gang!

This is just a brief reminder to stay with the topic of the thread, which is discussion of the images posted in the "Child - Adult - Can't Tell" thread. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

This face on a less mature body could look under 18, but those breasts look "over 18" to me. I realize that in RL girls can have breasts even as preteens. I did when I was twelve, but I still didn't look like an adult. I was chubby, but young-looking. In SL, I'm gonna give users the benefit of the doubt in edge cases, but not if their dress, behavior and profile looks to me like they're presenting as a sexually precocious child.

I see them as definitely late teens but not necessarily 18; really edge case in my opinion.  Context and speech and such things would allow me to form a more definite answer.

Edited by Hymn Celestia
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think everyone understands what an actual child is. All this handwringing over are they 18 or only 17 is laughable.

How about just saying if it looks like it COULD be over 18, then its over 18. No one reports them, so its all good, and the “questionable” ones are only subject to the whims of parcel owners

I was at a sex sim one time riding a shemale friend. The land owner showed up and kicked me out, said he didn’t want guests arriving and seeing a 14 yr old doing that.

And i looked basically how i do now.

Sure dude 😁

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff
  • Like 2

I just got through looking at the gallery for Hair Fair. It was kinda depressing because every time I passed a pigtails or spacebuns hairstyle I'd think to myself, "Nope, can't wear that anymore." And what about all those cute styles I saw with hair ribbons?

But on the other hand a very big part of me feels like saying, "F that! I'm just going to wear pigtails and spacebuns with hair ribbons from now on!."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I just got through looking at the gallery for Hair Fair. It was kinda depressing because every time I passed a pigtails or spacebuns hairstyle I'd think to myself, "Nope, can't wear that anymore." And what about all those cute styles I saw with hair ribbons?

But on the other hand a very big part of me feels like saying, "F that! I'm just going to wear pigtails and spacebuns with hair ribbons from now on!."

Wear them anyway, this self censorship is getting old. Besides didnt they say over and over that they wont judge age based on looks alone.

And we can trust them right ? 😂

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Wear them anyway, this self censorship is getting old. Besides didnt they say over and over that they wont judge age based on looks alone.

And we can trust them right ? 😂

I have no concern whatsoever as far as Linden Lab is concerned. I'm sure my avie wouldn't ever come across as underage or that I would be involved in any questionable activity.

But having people in the community having the opinion that my avatar looks underage is disconcerting to me. But like I said, I've reach the point of F'it. I'm not going to limit myself on hair/bows because some consider it too youthful a style for adults. I'm over it. 

• Like 10

Posted (edited)

I think the thread is one of the most potentially useful and good threads in the entire forum section. Anything that gives people a way to find out, rather than simply worry about, how others actually see their avatar is useful and good, even just from the standpoint of being visually accurate.

Myself, I would have a hard time telling a lot of teenagers apart from a lot of adults. There are ladies with fully-developed and tall bodies but small-ish and babydoll-like heads/faces, and they just look like adult ladies with babyface disease or something to me, and sometimes I'll see a short person with a decidedly non-childlike face, and for all the world I would think they were simply expert at portraying an adult with dwarfism. But then there are avatars that I just can't tell if they're supposed to look 15 or 18.

I'd tend to think that if it's really all that hard to tell, just say whatever, and let them be. As long as they aren't telling people they're portraying someone under 18, give them the benefit of the doubt. I'd look as young as I could get away with IRL if I could, so I don't blame anybody for doing that in SL. Vanity is an important aspect of SL, and it's good to have an outlet for it, it's healthy sometimes.

But yeah, if they actually look like a kid, they need to be okay with being clocked as a kid everywhere they go, because when so much of the platform we inhabit is based on appearances as an integral part of why people use it, that should be expected. Look like a baby, no reason to get mad if someone says "look, a baby!"

Either way, I think the thread is awesome, if only because it gives people who might worry about looking too young (or older than they want to be) a chance to see what others think.

I know we're not a perfect cross-section of the overall SL public, but we're all in one place, and we're not afraid to say what things look like to us, so yeah. Thanks for making the thread. It's a genuinely good thing, in my opinion.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)

If seen several people saying this was a child avatar. Looking at the face, there is just no way I am convinced, with strong laugh lines and an aged looking face, that this is a child unless the owner says it is.  It just looks like a person with Dwarfism. 

6-4-24ChildPersephone_009.thumb.jpg.50b61a97458f29db077f24d75dac3753.jpg

Edited by Starberry Passion
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

I think the thread is one of the most potentially useful and good threads in the entire forum section. Anything that gives people a way to find out, rather than simply worry about, how others actually see their avatar is useful and good, even just from the standpoint of being visually accurate.

Myself, I would have a hard time telling a lot of teenagers apart from a lot of adults. There are ladies with fully-developed and tall bodies but small-ish and babydoll-like heads/faces, and they just look like adult ladies with babyface disease or something to me, and sometimes I'll see a short person with a decidedly non-childlike face, and for all the world I would think they were simply expert at portraying an adult with dwarfism. But then there are avatars that I just can't tell if they're supposed to look 15 or 18.

I'd tend to think that if it's really all that hard to tell, just say whatever, and let them be. As long as they aren't telling people they're portraying someone under 18, give them the benefit of the doubt. I'd look as young as I could get away with IRL if I could, so I don't blame anybody for doing that in SL. Vanity is an important aspect of SL, and it's good to have an outlet for it, it's healthy sometimes.

But yeah, if they actually look like a kid, they need to be okay with being clocked as a kid everywhere they go, because when so much of the platform we inhabit is based on appearances as an integral part of why people use it, that should be expected. Look like a baby, no reason to get mad if someone says "look, a baby!"

Either way, I think the thread is awesome, if only because it gives people who might worry about looking too young (or older than they want to be) a chance to see what others think.

I know we're not a perfect cross-section of the overall SL public, but we're all in one place, and we're not afraid to say what things look like to us, so yeah. Thanks for making the thread. It's a genuinely good thing, in my opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean by what you're saying this but some parts of this is disingenuous, not all of it. Linden Lab already said that they look at second life as if it is real life and determine if an Avatar is a child by several factors, not just looks because looks like these are not helpful alone, much like real life. There are several adults with babyfaces, rather you like it or not, there are several who are way more mature for their age. There are those who are big, who are skinny, who are tall, who are short, who are wide and who are thin.

Just because someone's chest is smaller than yours doesn't make them a child. We've already shown photos of real people to prove that people have different looks and styles, short, tall, big, large, skinny, chubby, fluffy.

What the thread proves is lookism is a huge problem when people dismiss someone else's body type, preferred look, how they want to view themselves.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

What the thread proves is lookism is a huge problem when people dismiss someone else's body type, preferred look, how they want to view themselves.

No one is dismissing anyone for their looks.  People have ASKED what other's thought about their avatar.  Whether someone sees them as an adult or not isn't lookism, it's an opinion on the AGE they see represented.  In SL, that's going to be the first thing someone notices.  How you look.  They might then delve into your profile or how you're behaving to make a final assessment.  

You're constantly saying people in the forums have some sort of prejudice against petite women which is not the case.  If you run into it yourself inworld, that's not on us.   It might be the places you go but I see petite women all over the place and no one is tossing them out or accusing them of being child avatars.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/2/2024 at 6:14 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I think everyone understands what an actual child is. All this handwringing over are they 18 or only 17 is laughable.

How about just saying if it looks like it COULD be over 18, then its over 18. No one reports them, so its all good, and the “questionable” ones are only subject to the whims of parcel owners

I was at a sex sim one time riding a shemale friend. The land owner showed up and kicked me out, said he didn’t want guests arriving and seeing a 14 yr old doing that.

And i looked basically how i do now.

Sure dude 😁

I’m not going to report a questionable avatar unless I see some role playing or profile that suggests something sexual. 

I have been on SL for many years and I’ve never come across that. But then again.. daddy’s girl creeps me out when I see that.. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Starberry Passion said:

If seen several people saying this was a child avatar. Looking at the face, there is just no way I am convinced, with strong laugh lines and an aged looking face, that this is a child unless the owner says it is.  It just looks like a person with Dwarfism. 

6-4-24ChildPersephone_009.thumb.jpg.50b61a97458f29db077f24d75dac3753.jpg

This is a Senra Jamie body with a system head. I got the skin & shape from MP,  as a free child avatar, then adjusted the shape after wearing the Senra Jamie body. Since I couldn't get the body any smaller, I didn't bother to make the face look like a toddler. I think she could pass for 10-12, if it weren't for the mature hands, big feet and breasts. I took the breast slider as low as I could without the breasts literally going concave in the chest.

• Thanks 1