Discuss or Comments about Child, Adult, Can't Tell Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Kaia Sachin said:

I added some makeup and removed my petite chest addon. I think I look over 18 now, but I've never worn makeup in real life and don't feel like myself with it on so I'm just going to adhere to all the new rules that apply to child presenting avatars.

makeup.jpg

To me it's something about the face that makes her look young. I don't even know what it is cause I don't think she has the usual tells, but when I try to work out what age she is it's that I end up focusing on.

Had another thought. She does seem older in the 2nd pic, but her face looks rounder so she should look younger, right?

Edited by Monika Skydancer
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I don't think going to adult land will be as much of an issue with LL as it will be for region owners who may still assume they can be held responsible for anything that goes on concerning edge cases.   What I do think LL will be concerned with is if that edge case is involved in adult sexual activity.   If someone were to AR and the avatar is merely wandering around an empty beach on adult land, they may send a message indicating they also think the avatar is too young or may see it as old enough and let it slide.  I can't see LL banning just for visiting unless there is some other stuff going on.

An Adult rated combat region or store with no sex?  Pass   The Free Sex place?   Then I'd age up some.

I don't see them banning either; however, I think you could end up with a friendly educational session from governance. :) 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I don't see them banning either; however, I think you could end up with a friendly educational session from governance. :) 

I'm waiting to see or hear of even one person/avatar mention receiving anything regarding an educational session. So far only hearing about bannings. I spoke with a friend last night in a club I used to frequent and though he is usually well informed about the goings on here, he was not at all aware of the new ToS changes. That seemed to be the case for many in that club as there were a lot of edge cases.

We had an interesting discussion about how deeply this is going to affect the dynamics of some of the clubs out there to the point that it will have a substantial impact of attendance at some of them. There just isn't the interest in 30+ year olds or at least those appearing so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monika Skydancer said:

I can kinda see why my skateboarding pic would leave some people unsure, but I gotta say I'm curious why anyone voted confused to the alien hunting one. So if y'all wanted to share your thinking on that I'd be super interested.

I voted unsure on both (all 3?) of your pictures. It was just the combination of a small bust and freckles. I would never AR any of them though. If I'm unsure and the person isn't doing anything wrong/Adult, I'm going to assume they're just young-looking, but not a child.

On another thread someone posted pictures of young teen-looking avatars as prostitutes. I would report those. The pictures were removed by a moderator, so maybe they thought they looked sketchy too.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Will there be cookies?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Theresa Tennyson smiles and starts speaking very slowly and clearly.

The question is not, "Is she [in general] twenty-five or is she seven?" 

The question is, "Is she twenty-one or is she seventeen?"

Because that difference could mean jail (RL) or banishment (SL.)

And the difference can be very small.

Unless the person is buying alcohol or legal marajuana in the US, the question is are they 17 or 18? This uncertainty is solved in RL by looking at their ID.

In SL the question might be "Are they presenting as a minor (under 18) while being somewhere or doing something that a minor should not be doing? Since we can't ID card them, I think we'll usually give them the benefit of the doubt.

If I see an obvious child avatar in an Adult area where sex can be public, I would most likely IM them to remind them that their avatar as it appears shouldn't be there. If I see an obvious child or young teen in a sex act or working as a prostitute, I'll AR them. I've seen a short,  young-teen looking avatar with small breasts and a male genital attachment having sex in an Adult sim before. I thought they were pushing the line at the time, but ignored them. Now, I'd probably IM them, and depending on their response I might AR them.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Monika Skydancer said:

I'm wearing a dirt layer in the 1st pic I posted. Maybe you mistook that for freckles?

Yup. Even though the avatar was holding a gun, I thought she might be a post-apocalypicyic fighter, so she might be a teenager. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

A lot of times the skin is an indicator in RL. Here we have perfect skin.  Smooth, nice, sometimes tanned perfectly. Our faces don't show the age of weather or acne scars or anything like that.  A REAL teenager would have pimples but who wants that on their barbie?  The stomach is also mostly flat in 99% of the pictures.  The last time my stomach looked like an avatar was when I was 17 years old. 

This is why there needs to be supporting documentation of proof of ***play. What was going on in local or IM at the time? Was their profile indicative of someone that is less than 18? 

I don't think that a lot of people banned for this type of play are being 100% truthful when they say they have no idea why they were banned because they didn't do anything.  Maybe they just don't know what ***play really is.

Edited by Kathlen Onyx
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Yup. Even though the avatar was holding a gun, I thought she might be a post-apocalypicyic fighter, so she might be a teenager. 

I was trying to recreate the scene in Aliens when Ripley gears up & goes back to rescue Newt

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I'd like to point out something too about avatar age.  If you have an avatar that's older, say 30-40's your avatar looks really awful wearing most of the clothes sold in Second Life. Most of the clothes are for young adults 18-25.   That might be why we see a lot of "edge" cases.  One particular avatar I know looks about 45 and sometimes looks really out of place wearing skimpy skirts or certain outfits.

I think this realllllllly depends on the fashion style in question. If we're talking about the regular mainstream casual day/night/club wear being sold at events, yeah I'll agree.

Random example, but there would be goths and punks in their 50s and 60s in the nightclubs I hung out in in RL, and they were still rocking leather and PVC. Definitely didn't look out of place, and in some cases, it looked more classy on them. Also, the older biker crowd.

Then you get styles that are a bit less age-specific - Afrofuturistic, cyber/futuristic, retro/vintage, boho, fantasy, steampunk, evening wear, business, resort, Victorian/Edwardian goth, Garconne, etc. There are places to buy all of that in Second Life and any age could rock those styles well.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I think this realllllllly depends on the fashion style in question. If we're talking about the regular mainstream casual day/night/club wear being sold at events, yeah I'll agree.

Random example, but there would be goths and punks in their 50s and 60s in the nightclubs I hung out in in RL, and they were still rocking leather and PVC. Definitely didn't look out of place, and in some cases, it looked more classy on them. Also, the older biker crowd.

Then you get styles that are a bit less age-specific - Afrofuturistic, cyber/futuristic, retro/vintage, boho, fantasy, steampunk, evening wear, business, resort, Victorian/Edwardian goth, Garconne, etc. There are places to buy all of that in Second Life and any age could rock those styles well.

I'm talking regular clothes. I've never even worn any of this stuff you are describing lol

• Like 1

Just now, Kathlen Onyx said:

I'm talking regular clothes. I've never even worn any of this stuff you are describing lol

Yep, if regular clothes, then I agree.

You should try some of the other stuff, though. Some of it is sooooo cuuuuuute and it would work for any age. Valentina E, for example. Tons of really classy vintage wear (and a cheap Outlet upstairs with everything priced at 99L, last I checked).

Just plucking out a random example from her Flickr:

NEW!  Valentina E. Avenger Dress @ UBER!
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yep, if regular clothes, then I agree.

You should try some of the other stuff, though. Some of it is sooooo cuuuuuute and it would work for any age. Valentina E, for example. Tons of really classy vintage wear (and a cheap Outlet upstairs with everything priced at 99L, last I checked).

Just plucking out a random example from her Flickr:

NEW!  Valentina E. Avenger Dress @ UBER!

This can't be from Second Life!

People keep saying only fashions for 18-25 are on Second Life!

😉

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

😉

As a major shopaholic who avoids mainstream events like the plague, I'll agree the 18-25 "let it all out" fashion style is what's popular, but absolutely is not all that exists. Just about every fashion style I can think of has a niche in SL.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

😉

I got a few things from Valentina E. She tends to put an item in FLF most weeks. They're real good for the smarter kind of parties.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

😉

You only see conservative outfits like that when out shopping. Never really see anyone wearing that at a club. My partner buys them and they look great on her but she only wears them for her own benefit.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You only see conservative outfits like that when out shopping. Never really see anyone wearing that at a club. My partner buys them and they look great on her but she only wears them for her own benefit.

No, nobody's rocking that style in a club. It's not designed for that. Just like I wouldn't wear one of my formal evening gowns in a casual reggae spot. 😂 (though, I WILL wear evening wear out shopping - I do not care one bit about that!).

Speaking of shopping, we need a "not your usual fashion" shopping/fashion thread somewhere (or maybe we have one). If someone ever gets around to that, feel free to tag me for funsies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

No, nobody's rocking that style in a club. It's not designed for that. Just like I wouldn't wear one of my formal evening gowns in a casual reggae spot. 😂 (though, I WILL wear evening wear out shopping - I do not care one bit about that!).

Speaking of shopping, we need a "not your usual fashion" shopping/fashion thread somewhere (or maybe we have one). If someone ever gets around to that, feel free to tag me for funsies.

I would wear that at the club I go to. Most nights have themes but a lot of people come casual or wearing regular clothes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Actually I think that that age range could be a problem. Look at Epstein as an example. All the young women in that case would be seen as edge cases here in SL. It would be hard to tell if they are of high school age or over 18. That's still an issue. So honestly, my opinion is age up as much as possible just to be on the safe side or don't go near adult land. My two cents.

I will say, though, that Epstein had actual real minors there whose real ages could be discovered. The problem wasn't so much that people looked young in his orbit, it's that they actually were.

I think it's going to be less of a PR problem for SL if someone (for example) snaps a picture in an adult club and some people look ambiguously late teens-ish. Because if anyone were to dig into the real people behind the avatars, they're probably legal and well beyond. And their appearance alone is not enough to be shocking. Lots of legal adults look young.

What they don't want (IMO) is images of naked prepubescents up to no good, because there's no ambiguity and it shocks people even if the real people piloting the avatars are 60.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.