Blocked and derendered avatars showing up in local chat.

3 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Are you seeing chat from them directly or via a chat extender?

I hate those especially when you can't find the extender to mute it.

Chat from an extender shows up in local with a different color than regular chat so.if you can find the chat extender, mute it also.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SamaelSvart said:

I see them type in nearby chat. Usually when I block someone, I don't see what they write, I don't hear them either. I don't know why I see what they write. 

Is the chat in local a different color from the blocked avatar?  Are you seeing it in the chat window as opposed to at the bottom of the screen.  There is an option in firestorm to see muted text when you have the local chat in the window.

the first is with see muted text off and the second is the option to see muted text

cf37f4e515a236b01d1fb379586503fe.png.d6b3024b4522c3dff175cdea60117ca9.png

5bbd600f41f62969e48d6f07c1a5a003.png.13339562c1691702632c67c701037396.png

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SamaelSvart said:

Yes it is a different color. I see them in the chat window and at the bottom of the screen. 

Then you are seeing their chat through a chat extender that is placed somewhere in the parcel you are in.  If you are on Firestorm, you can try to find it using Area Search and mute it also.

If you can't find the chat extender, not much you can do.

@Qie Niangaois there a way to find something without using Area Search?  I know you know.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Then you are seeing their chat through a chat extender that is placed somewhere in the parcel you are in.  If you are on Firestorm, you can try to find it using Area Search and mute it also.

If you can't find the chat extender, not much you can do.

@Qie Niangaois there a way to find something without using Area Search?  I know you know.

If it's an object, you should be able to click on it and get map coordinates.

• Like 3

I don't think it's what you want, but one way to find things without using Area Search is Build / Pathfinding / Region Objects and select the column by which the table is sorted and otherwise adjust the settings, although this doesn't list all objects, only the ones you're able to move. So that's sometimes very useful (and often surprising) but unlikely to reveal a chat extender.

But chat from an object should come labeled by the chatting object's name at the time it did the chatting. For a chat extender, it probably changed its name to that of the person doing the chatting, but unless they're doing something clever, you should still be able to right-click that label and get object-profile information about it, show its location on the map, etc.

(Maybe chat extenders do that "something clever" but I need to get in-world and fiddle a bit to see if "clever" is easy enough.)

[ETA: Nope, it's not as simple as renaming the object with the viewer URI for the agent whose chat is being extended. Not surprising when I think about it. So I bet you can click the chat-extended name and get all about the chat extender. I'm not sure that helps here though.]

[ETA 2: Oh. Well that's embarrassing. They could just set the object name to the empty string and do something like this:

{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSetObjectName("");
        llSay(0, "secondlife:///app/agent/"+(string)llGetOwner()+"/inspect says unspeakable things about your daffodil garden.");
    }
}

so then if you right-click on what looks like the speaker, instead of a menu for the chat extender object you get the menu for the agent—in this thread's case, the very agent you tried to block before. So yeah, that kinda sucks. It's not an exploit, it's just a chat extender being too "clever" for its own good.]]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, CandyCole said:

I use Firestorm. 

Are 'Mute' and 'Block' the same thing? .. Are these words simply used synonymously?

I'm not on it now but I only remember seeing and using Block within Firestorm.

Candy, I don't know. Perhaps someone who knows will be kind enough to let both you and me know.

• Haha 1