Lab Gab April 2024 - Comments? Discussion?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 64 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

It's statutory r a p e, but it's not kiddy diddling

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Aside from considering the legality of these differences, yes the latter is more offensive. It's more offensive because of the greater abuse of power over those who are more vulnerable.  That's why we protect children.

The latter term is more offensive because it makes a serious crime sound like a joke.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Aside from considering the legality of these differences, yes the latter is more offensive. It's more offensive because of the greater abuse of power over those who are more vulnerable.  That's why we protect children.

The latter term is more offensive because it makes a serious crime sound like a joke.

That too...

But the point of my comment is that we don''t (or shouldn't) legislate against something because it makes us feel "icky"...we do so because it's an abuse of power.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Because people are guilty until proven innocent in SL. 🙄

She never said anything about guilt or innocence, though. Just out of personal principle.

Never even mentioned the reason why. Could be something else entirely. Who knows, not my business and people are gonna feel how they feel.

I've avoided stores and events for all kinds of personal reasons, myself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I was referring to her blanket statement regard legalities in the US -- it was not accurate:

"Both are literally jailbait in the US as both are minors".

But how this plays out in a court of law (more weight being given to the location of a company, and in which situations), I don't know.  More importantly, I don't know how the laws could change in the future regardless of the current precedents.

As BilliJo said, since LL is located in sunny California, the age of consent is 18.

As such, we're all going by what LL has to follow when it pertains to the age of consent.

Like I said, reaching the age of 16 doesn't mean you can go and perform inappropriate actions as you would still be considered as a minor in every state... regardless of the age of consent.  It doesn't matter.  The person performing said actions upon a 16-year-old can be charged.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

That too...

But the point of my comment is that we don''t (or shouldn't) legislate against something because it makes us feel "icky"...we do so because it's an abuse of power.

Politics? Or just preaching? I'm so confused at the "shouldn't" and "legislate" parts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
55 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

That too...

Politics? Or just preaching? I'm so confused at the "shouldn't" and "legislate" parts. 

If you really wanted to know why I said what I did, and assumed it might be an important point to make,  and a point that just might have possibly flown right right over your head, instead of assuming it's politics, preaching, or off-topic........I might tell you.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

My biggest takeaway is that evidently LL has decided to flatten their organization.  Their VPS of engineering and marketing departed in January, there is no sign that they intend to replace them.  The engineering news at this lab gab was given by the director of engineering, and the product news by a product manager. My personal read on this is that LLs employee base is dwindling in size, although of course, it's possible that there are other reasons. I'd be surprised to see LL  begin any  large engineering endeavors in the near future, or perhaps ever again  YMMV.

My other takeaway is that there may be new policies for LL employees as well as for residents.  Perhaps this new user group meeting is actually a way of making direct LL contact with users more formalized, and one-on-one contact between LL employees and residents will be less common than it has been since Belli's inception.  Of course, it's unlikely that we would ever KNOW if LL changes its internal policies for resident contact.

A LOT of tech companies are downsizing right now. They say it's because of AI but I think it's got a lot to do with the fact that a lot of positions at tech companies weren't really actually very productive jobs. And a lot of jobs were very basic "respond to emails 4 hours a day" types of things. I think they are just consolidating jobs and adding more responsibilities to specific roles.

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

We can marry our child, our parent, or our dog in SL.

is s e x with puppies allowed?

And since furries are not human, can you engage in s e x with a furry no matter how young they look?

Just pointing out how ridiculous all this is becoming

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
fixed a word
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, CaitlinParker said:

It's the same thing... it's the implications that change.

really its not the same at all. 

Suppose you go out on a date with a 16 yr old you assumed was 18, especially if she lied and said she was 18.

It's statutory [bad word here] if you are caught.

But you can't go out on a "date" with a 6 yr old and plead ignorance of their age.

But officer, I swear, I thought she was 10

Edited by Dyna Mole
Redacted by moderator

20 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Its really not the same thing. Both are wrong, but one is far more wrong.

You should look up some cases on the judicial system in the US. You might get an eye opener. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

You should look up some cases on the judicial system in the US. You might get an eye opener. 

I give up, if you can't see the difference between s e x with a 16 yr old, and s e x with a 6 yr old, there is no point in continuing this discussion

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I give up, if you can't see the difference between s e x with a 16 yr old, and s e x with a 6 yr old, there is no point in continuing this discussion

Both offenses will automatically put the offender on the list for life, but the difference would be what happens to that offender behind bars.  Let's just say that for one... the implications are much worse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

is s e x with puppies allowed?

And since furries are not human, can you engage in s e x with a furry no matter how young they look?

Just pointing out how ridiculous all this is becoming

I don't know if anyone has ever been banned from SL for simulated sex with a furry. I know that simulated sex with animals is allowed, as long as it's in an Adult or Moderate sim.

I think what you need to remember is that Linden Lab is primarily concerned with the legal implications of what is portrayed in SL, secondarily concerned with making money (and thus retaining users), and thirdly concerned with its public image. What might seem icky to one person doesn't figure into the equation as long as that person can avoid seeing what they don't want to see.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 64 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.