Revalue the L$ -> $1US = L$100

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 68 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Leaving the DJ comments aside, anyone working weeks or months making something for SL only shouldn't expect RL wages.  The people who make content for games who should get paid RL wages are.people who work for a RL company.   SL content creators don't work for LL or EA or Blizzard.  

Theresa Tennyson whispers, "And a lot of people who used to work for game companies aren't any more lately."

• Like 3

Just now, Theresa Tennyson said:

Theresa Tennyson whispers, "And a lot of people who used to work for game companies aren't any more lately."

We should just focus on using AI's for creation and in-world services! 

It's the Fewtcher!!

• Like 1

The problem with the calculations is that we don't actually know how much a creator makes on an item because we don't know what the items total sales are.

If you make a dress and price it at $L300 and it takes you 2 hours to do everything from start to finish and you sell two then yes your hourly rate is low. However, if you spend two hours making an item and sell 1000 of them then your hourly rate just went sky high without putting anymore work into it.

In fact people keep the same prices on items that are brand new and items from 10 years ago most of the time. On the other hand I'll see things in the MP that say "now only $L199 for the next 24 hours" 3 years later it's the same price. So they really don't care a whole lot what they get for some things because obviously it was too much work to change it and they must be happy with what they are getting or don't care.

Edit for additional thought:  I might offend a few DJ's with this comment but probably 80% of the DJ's in SL don't even deserve the $L100 tip because they put NO effort into it. Anyone can press a button and play a song and say up next is Michael Jackson's Thriller.  A good DJ engages the audience and make the experience fun. Those are the ones I tip.

Edited by Kathlen Onyx
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Wouldn't be surprised if we had some of those in SL, either.

I'm kind of tempted to ask around. I've seen some modeling work in the fantasy and horror realm that falls into the "Why the hell aren't you working for FromSoftware or somethin'?" range.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

The problem with the calculations is that we don't actually know how much a creator makes on an item because we don't know what the items total sales are.

And THAT is the missing element here, in the inane assumptions about "poor content creators".

"That poor content creator, they spent 20 hours making a dress and it only sells for a mere TWO Doh-lars! That's only 10 cents an hour! The HORROR!"

But wait.

That content creator has a DAY job, as a junior middle manager in some office, pays them $75,000 a year, covers their rent/mortgage, heating lighting food, utilities etc., and pays their $99 a year premium for their house in Belli.

They spent 4 hours a night, Monday to Friday, one week, after work, making the dress, they paid THREE Doh-lars to upload dress and textures,  SEVEN Doh-lars to rent a booth at a 3 week shopping event that starts on Saturday, they stick their TWO Doh-lar dress in the booth, and sell 1000 copies AT NO PRODUCTION COST PER UNIT SOLD, over 3 weeks, that's TWO THOUSAND Doh-lars, then they stick it in their MP store, AT NO COST, and sell another 1000 copies again at NO PRODUCTION COST PER UNIT, over the next two years, from which LL take a 10% MP take, so another 1800 Doh-lars.

So 4 ours a night for 5 nights, of messing in Blender in their spare time, gets them 2000 Doh-lars over 3 weeks, that's 100 Doh-lars an hour, and then another 1800 Doh-lars additional income over the next two years, 3800 in total, less Lindex Sell Fees, and Cashout Fees, before US taxes.

For 20 hours of hobby activity...

And 3 weeks after making Dress No 57, they will spend 20 hours making Dress No 58, intime for NEXT months shopping event and another 2000 Doh-lars.

So, 2000 Doh-lars a month, every month, 24,000 Doh-lars a year, in return for spending an average of LESS than an hour a day "working".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

And THAT is the missing element here, in the inane assumptions about "poor content creators".

"That poor content creator, they spent 20 hours making a dress and it only sells for a mere TWO Doh-lars! That's only 10 cents an hour! The HORROR!"

But wait.

That content creator has a DAY job, as a junior middle manager in some office, pays them $75,000 a year, covers their rent/mortgage, heating lighting food, utilities etc., and pays their $99 a year premium for their house in Belli.

They spent 4 hours a night, Monday to Friday, one week, after work, making the dress, they paid THREE Doh-lars to upload dress and textures,  SEVEN Doh-lars to rent a booth at a 3 week shopping event that starts on Saturday, they stick their TWO Doh-lar dress in the booth, and sell 1000 copies AT NO PRODUCTION COST PER UNIT SOLD, over 3 weeks, that's TWO THOUSAND Doh-lars, then they stick it in their MP store, AT NO COST, and sell another 1000 copies again at NO PRODUCTION COST PER UNIT, over the next two years, from which LL take a 10% MP take, so another 1800 Doh-lars.

So 4 ours a night for 5 nights, of messing in Blender in their spare time, gets them 2000 Doh-lars over 3 weeks, that's 100 Doh-lars an hour, and then another 1800 Doh-lars additional income over the next two years, 3800 in total, less Lindex Sell Fees, and Cashout Fees, before US taxes.

For 20 hours of hobby activity...

And 3 weeks after making Dress No 57, they will spend 20 hours making Dress No 58, intime for NEXT months shopping event and another 2000 Doh-lars.

So, 2000 Doh-lars a month, every month, 24,000 Doh-lars a year, in return for spending an average of LESS than an hour a day "working".

Bonus: And they complain when their MP sales go down.

• Like 2

If content creators want to get paid real money for work done in SL, they could also try to get hired as a Mole. Moles might not get paid much compared to working as a full-time employee for similar work somewhere, but it' s probably better than what most content creators make selling to SL users inworld.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

If content creators want to get paid real money for work done in SL, they could also try to get hired as a Mole. Moles might not get paid much compared to working as a full-time employee for similar work somewhere, but it' s probably better than what most content creators make selling to SL users inworld.

When you're a Mole you have to tailor your creativity into what somebody else wants.

No deal!  I gotta be freeeeeee   :)

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

When you're a Mole you have to tailor your creativity into what somebody else wants.

There she is! Don't stay gone so long, the community benefits from your uniqueness. 

Like Borg!

8 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

That would work for some, but what would a ... I dunno... jewelry or hair designer do as a Mole?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

There she is! Don't stay gone so long, the community benefits from your uniqueness. 

Like Borg!

I think you have that in reverse.

Becoming a 'borg' is what happens when you work for a company.  I'm proud to say I've never done that except for a short stint working in an autistic community after I moved out of state and needed a job quick.

One thing to consider in this discussion (and that counters all that say SL would crumble if prices increased, and that their spending would cease due to SL not being affordable anymore) is that in the beginning people were paying huge amounts (compared to today) for all sorts of things.  As a merchant you could get 5K for a good house or waterfall (unlike today when often you can pay 499 or less).  And sales were great!

In other words, people simply become accustomed to what they pay, and will often pay more if that's what it takes to get what they want.

So the problem here is the race to the bottom that always occurs with capitalism, and there's nothing to prevent it in SL (no price controls as happens in RL). Merchants undercut the other guy, and the only ones who can 'make it to the top' are those who manage to sell high-volume.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
24 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Like Borg!

Thanks for the compliment!  I can always count on that from you  ;0

I've gotten a lot of complements related to my nature designs over the years, so yes it fits what you're saying.  That is, if you were being serious as opposed to insulting.

15 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

That's a wonderful sentiment, meanwhile ... in the real world where stuff is made by real people who need to eat.

Tell me, how much have things gone up in the real world like per se... prices on food, clothing, gas/petrol/heating oil... oh yeah... employers/CEOs/BoDs giving themselves raises while wages for employees haven't gone up in the way it should have for how many years now?

You do know what inflation and hyperinflation are, right?

Everything you're talking about promotes inflation, or even hyperinflation.

Edited by CaitlinParker
  • Like 1

I've always wanted SL to be a place where free-lancing artists could support their craft.  Some are able to get a few extra bucks here, and I'm glad of that at least.

Artists get a bad rap.  The starving artist is a true meme, unfortunately.  Often they spend immeasurable amounts of time honing their craft, years and years spent developing it before applying their talents wherever they can. Like teachers and others in the helping professions so valuable to society, we don't value them (monetarily) and even expect them to work for free in some cases.

Edited by Luna Bliss

3 minutes ago, CaitlinParker said:

Tell me, how much have things gone up in the real world?

Now there's an idea - tie L$ to "average worldwide inflation rates".  But of course, that means the "cost to buy" L$ not just "the perceived value of" L$.

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Like Borg!

The Borg absorb those with unique abilities and share them among the rest of their number, thus turning those abilities into something common. The Borg stamps out individuality. 

In this analogy, SL itself would seem to be the Borg, but the corporate world seems more Borg-like to me.

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

In this analogy, SL itself would seem to be the Borg, but the corporate world seems more Borg-like to me.

LL (the Corporate World) is to the Borg Queen, as the SL Users are to the Borg Drones.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Now there's an idea - tie L$ to "average worldwide inflation rates".  But of course, that means the "cost to buy" L$ not just "the perceived value of" L$.

Buying $500L used to be around the $2.50USD area, now... as I check, buying $500L is a dollar more.  See how it mimics the real world in a sense?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CaitlinParker said:
15 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

That's a wonderful sentiment, meanwhile ... in the real world where stuff is made by real people who need to eat.

Tell me, how much have things gone up in the real world like per se... prices on food, clothing, gas/petrol/heating oil... oh yeah... employers/CEOs/BoDs giving themselves raises while wages for employees haven't gone up in the way it should have for how many years now?

You do know what inflation and hyperinflation are, right?

Everything you're talking about promotes inflation, or even hyperinflation.

You are aware that creators live in a world full of inflation too and also need to support themselves?

Or do you only consider the consumers in SL for some reason?

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 68 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.