Best "budget" male body?

takemasaa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 61 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm looking for a budget male body for my partner. I got him a freebie one, and while it's alright, it has a weird problem with BoM on the neck, creating a giant line of demarcation that you really can't look away from.

By budget I don't mean extremely cheap, just perhaps a bit cheaper than the really popular, super amazing high quality bodies? He doesn't play often and I'm not sure I want to invest in an expensive body for him if cheaper ones are on the market (but are still decent or good quality).

Help much appreciated! Thank you!!

Which free one did he get?

I'd recommend one of the DNA bodies for almost free. They come with the head attached and are BOM capable. The bodies are $L 1 and skins are $L 1 each. They fit Signature Gianni pretty well.

For a body with plenty of skins and mesh clothing made for it, I'd suggest Belleza Jake. Though it's not as cheap as it used to be, it's still cheaper than Legacy or Signature.

Then take him over to Gabriel to pick up some free clothes, have him join the L'Homme Magazine group & take him to events like ManCave when they have free gifts.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Which free one did he get?

I'd recommend one of the DNA bodies for almost free. They come with the head attached and are BOM capable. The bodies are $L 1 and skins are $L 1 each. They fit Signature Gianni pretty well.

For a body with plenty of skins and mesh clothing made for it, I'd suggest Belleza Jake. Though it's not as cheap as it used to be, it's still cheaper than Legacy or Signature.

Then take him over to Gabriel to pick up some free clothes, have him join the L'Homme Magazine group & take him to events like ManCave when they have free gifts.

It's the Sweet's male 1L$ body. I think it has problems with a lot of heads, and in my partner's case his avatar is furry so I guess it's just incompatible with Paws heads + BOM? A lot of reviews report the same issue with many different heads, but honestly it was just a filler body while I decided on a better one for him anyways.

Belleza Jake is cheaper than I thought it would be as I've often heard of that body and figured it was pricey due to popularity. The DNA ones would theoretically be great but if the head isn't detachable it wouldn't suit his avi choice. Thank you for the recommendations!

• Like 2

This may be the future, same principle as their female body: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Adam-Fusion-mesh-body-DEMO-BETA-TIME/25752928. Sadly it's still in the beta stage and isn't available for sale yet. And if there is any indication that they will keep the price in line of the female body, I believe the price will be 1500 Lindens for it.

14 hours ago, takemasaa said:

I'm looking for a budget male body for my partner.

Belleza Jake is supported by most of the major male designers and skin makers, and has clothes on offer at all the weekend sales events. If the body shape is his style, it's your best bet for a men's body going right now in the budget range. 

• Like 4

I also would recommend Belleza Jake. There's a lot of clothing for it, lots of augmentations depending on your needs, and it just looks great. Been using it for years. Even though I have bodies like Legacy, I still really like my Jake.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Ok, that Adam Fusion Body Demo has been taken down because the Beta testing is over and the creator is handing already out the full body to the 50 first people who have reviewed it. Don't know when the full version will be listed.

Who's making clothes and skins for it?

Jake is probably the best fit, as far as finding lots of clothes even though its older most makers still include it in their sizes. Its a good price and it still looks good. I want to also suggest Anatomy too though. Its a much newer body, and it seems to often be on sale for around 2kish if I remember right. There are not nearly as many clothing options, but if your friend doesn't want a huge wardrobe there are plenty of things out there to find including weekend sale items. I haven't put Jake back on since I got Anatomy, but how much he likes it will depend on the sort of shape he wants to make.

• Like 1

Jake.

Just be sure to get some good animations to fix the broken HUD hands animations or use some sort of third party HUD for that... which aren't really broken but for some reason the priority is wrong and lots of Jakes walk around with splayed out hands.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2024 at 1:12 AM, Star Bunny said:

I also would recommend Belleza Jake. There's a lot of clothing for it, lots of augmentations depending on your needs, and it just looks great. Been using it for years. Even though I have bodies like Legacy, I still really like my Jake.

Jake is not the good one. Most cloth made for Jake does not work properly you always to have to use the hub. It is really anoying 

• Like 1

Just now, Gabriel Isodo said:

Jake is not the good one. Most cloth made for Jake does not work properly you always to have to use the hub. It is really anoying 

Are you buying clothes made for Jake?  Is their an included alpha layer?  Some creators do better than other with rigging to specific bodies.  There's usually some area that needs an alpha.  It's not the Jake body but the clothing designers that are the problem.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Are you buying clothes made for Jake?  Is their an included alpha layer?  Some creators do better than other with rigging to specific bodies.  There's usually some area that needs an alpha.  It's not the Jake body but the clothing designers that are the problem.

I bought one shirt for few body and jake included when I wear it my hands disappeared., In the shirt I have holes and I paid this shirt 300 or something. It was just lost.  When I get for free I think ok it was a gift. I don't find decent cloth for jake. And alpha does not work or I don't know how to make working.  I click on bom and nothing happend. Usualy some part of the body should disappear

I am planning to buy an other body but I don't know with one

1 minute ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

I bought one shirt for few body and jake included when I wear it my hands disappeared., In the shirt I have holes and I paid this shirt 300 or something. It was just lost.  When I get for free I think ok it was a gift. I don't find decent cloth for jake. And alpha does not work or I don't know how to make working.  I click on bom and nothing happend. Usualy some part of the body should disappear

Save your money. A different body isn't going to help you if you buy poorly made mesh clothing.

My male alt wears Jake, and the only problems I have are when he wears standard mesh for the system bodies or some older mesh that was poorly made. Having to use the HUD to hide parts of the body is not a problem anyway. Doing so lowers your avatar's rendering cost. 

Demo clothes before buying them. If they're freebies with no demo, then discard the ones you don't like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Save your money. A different body isn't going to help you if you buy poorly made mesh clothing.

My male alt wears Jake, and the only problems I have are when he wears standard mesh for the system bodies or some older mesh that was poorly made. Having to use the HUD to hide parts of the body is not a problem anyway. Doing so lowers your avatar's rendering cost. 

Demo clothes before buying them. If they're freebies with no demo, then discard the ones you don't like.

Have to agree,  Jake doesn't cost much and there is a ton of stuff for it, even if it went away and it's a decent body.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

Might be helpful if you watched...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

That video explain how to wear Jake but not how to not have holes from cloth that should works for Jake. I are looking for a shirt for exemple where I dance that not let you holes.

You use the HUD for the body and alpha the areas that show through.  Some newer items will include an alpha already which you simply add and it will alpha out underneath the clothing item.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Which clothing stores make clothing for Jake that have autohide scripts?  Maybe this is going to be an important feature to include in mesh clothing going forward, especially if some newer users can't manage the complexities of using a HUD for a mesh body?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Which clothing stores make clothing for Jake that have autohide scripts?  Maybe this is going to be an important feature to include in mesh clothing going forward, especially if some newer users can't manage the complexities of using a HUD for a mesh body?

Alternatively, if the clothing is "rigged" specifically for Jake..then it should work without doing the hud-shuffle?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Alternatively, if the clothing is "rigged" specifically for Jake..then it should work without doing the hud-shuffle?

What's easier to make, clothing that always covers the body no matter how extreme the avatar's movements might be or adding a script that activates the appropriate alpha cuts and then deactives them when the clothing is removed?  Seriously, which is easier for a clothing creator? 

Activating alpha cuts also lowers the rendering complexity of the avatar because, just like for items behind walls, the skin texture is still rendered even when it's under mesh clothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 61 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.