Let them stand up: Fixing vehicle auto-return

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 92 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Vehicles are, for some unimaginable reason, EXEMPT from "no object entry", it's one of those "standard griefer exploits" they SIT on their griefer prim, edit into the "no object entry" area, and LEAVE IT THERE.

OK, Yeah, that sounds dumb. I'd personally actually advocate for another setting to disallow vehicle entry. Contrary to what you might think, I'm not for pushing vehicles into parcels where they're not wanted.

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I used to sail years ago and not once felt the need to stand up to watch a sunset.  Do people really need to do that?

Many of the "better" boats actually come with multiple poses, so one can choose to sit at the helm, or sunbathe on the deck, or man the crows nest, etc., some even come with couple cuddles, some even have extra friendly cuddles of a nature not permitted on all those G and M rated public access LLDWP boating regions.

Who the hell "gets off a boat to watch the sunset in the middle of the sea"?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I understand what it's like to not be able to enjoy simple joys. I'm sorry for your loss.😞

Not sure what that's all about but anyway...good luck with your proposal.  🙄

12 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

OK, Yeah, that sounds dumb. I'd personally actually advocate for another setting to disallow vehicle entry. Contrary to what you might think, I'm not for pushing vehicles into parcels where they're not wanted.

But you are...

See, it's like this.

Griefer board their griefer-cube, making it into a vehicle, they attempt to fly/drive/sail the griefer-cube-mobile into your parcel, they get stopped at the border by the ban-lines and zero second orb, unsat from their griefer-cube-mobile, and that is refused entry because, no longer sat on, it is NO LONGER a vehicle, and no-object-entry STOPS it, if your orb is faulty and allow more than zero seconds trespassing, then the parcels 1 min auto-return deals with the litter.

But you want "vehicle status" to be a permanent object flag, so even with nobody aboard it's STILL a vehicle, and exempt from no-object0-entry, AND you want it exempt from auto-return because the griefer is standing 10m away laughing their griefer trash ass off.

Your whole suggestion is a griefers wet dream.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus

18 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Unsubstantiated claims by privacy hating pro-trespass, pro prim-litter, pro-griefer activists, mean nothing.

I love my privacy but I don't have this unrealistic expectation that SL Mainland is the best place to get it considering the types of land uses others would have. You in your arguments only present a me me me me attitude in how you think all other mainland resident should want to use their land whereas it is increasingly obvious that you are an exception in the obsessive privacy requirement. Why would you not just move to an island estate is beyond me instead of trying to dictate how all other mainlanders should be.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

f you got to choose how vehicle auto-return worked, how would you change vehicle auto-return? How far away would you like to be able to walk from your vehicle, before the sim considered the vehicle abandoned? Other thoughts?

A personal valet, that would arrive, drive off with your vehicle and via a menu option in the viewer with a timer on it of say five to ten minutes so that people can not grief others with multiple requests, which returns your vehicle to the last location it was in 😋 As for boats, whenever I want to go fishing, swimming, or exploring, I usually just use Radegast with an alt to keep the boat rezzed.  This is also great for taking pictures, if I want to get a shot with me on the shore with my boat in the distance, or when I catch a fish from the deck.  

Make it so LL!

giphy.gif

I want to name my valet too!  

Disclaimer:
This post is for entertainment purposes only, it is not the intent of the author to be taken seriously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Griefer board their griefer-cube, making it into a vehicle, they attempt to fly/drive/sail the griefer-cube-mobile into your parcel, they get stopped at the border by the ban-lines and zero second orb, unsat from their griefer-cube-mobile, and that is refused entry because, no longer sat on, it is NO LONGER a vehicle, and no-object-entry STOPS it, if your orb is faulty and allow more than zero seconds trespassing, then the parcels 1 min auto-return deals with the litter.

OK, yeah this is a fair concern, I think it sounds like something that we could make the design cover though.

For example, if the agent the vehicle belongs to doesn't have access to the parcel, it could be made so the sim returns the vehicle.

Another thing to consider is what the default parcel settings would be.

If we had a new Personal Vehicle Abandonment Radius setting, we could default this to Zero (ie. The current behaviour) on existing parcels, and just make the default say 32 meters on public rights of way. Thereby making the ability to park and explore opt-in for parcel owners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Evidence needed.

Empirical evidence shows most residents would rather spend 30 seconds teleporting from store to store, than waste 5 hours driving through the mind numbing soul destroying suburban tedium of Belli, to get to a shop on another continent just to buy a pair of earring that are on weekend sale.

Unsubstantiated claims by privacy hating pro-trespass, pro prim-litter, pro-griefer activists, mean nothing.

Empirical evidence show it is about their only option but not the one all prefer. Too often travel is dictated by unsociable, privacy obsessive, AR loving griefers who lurk in their wee parcels looking to trip up any passerby and report them for any and all infractions in the hopes the Lab bans them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

A personal valet, that would arrive, drive off with your vehicle and via a menu option in the viewer with a timer on it of say five to ten minutes so that people can not grief others with multiple requests, which returns your vehicle to the last location it was in 😋

Could this be a "bot" valet? It could also provide jobs for "live avatars"!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Could this be a "bot" valet? It could also provide jobs for "live avatars"!!

There are no live avatars Love, we are all bots, remember?  

/me checks out Love's programming

Oh geesh, I told you to stop tinkering with your protocols!  It is little wonder why you have had a desire to eat alien baby moles!

23 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

trying to dictate how all other mainlanders should be

You and your ilk are the ones doing that.

Telling people where they should set up home.

24 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Why would you not just move to an island estate is beyond me

Apparently you are not aware that a premium subscriber gets a 1024 sqm tier free allowance, so a family of premium subscribers can own land for significantly lower ongoing costs, on mainland.

27 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

trying to dictate how all other mainlanders

And look, YOU ARE telling mainlanders how to live again huh?

27 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

only present a me me me me attitude

You just described EVERY SINGLE MEMBER of the fanatically vehicular, over-entitled, privacy hating pro trespass, pro prim-litter, pro-griefer, fake explorer trash movement to a tee.

11 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

There are no live avatars Love, we are all bots, remember?  

/me checks out Love's programming

Oh geesh, I told you to stop tinkering with your protocols!  It is little wonder why you have had a desire to eat alien baby moles!

* Looks at 4th wall * Huh? Who are those people sitting at keyboards?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

* Looks at 4th wall * Huh? Who are those people sitting at keyboards?

Probably people watching Spewtube "funny griefers attack sad old losers over 25 who are nearly dead, on a game nobody plays any more" videos.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus

1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

You just described EVERY SINGLE MEMBER of the fanatically vehicular, over-entitled, privacy hating pro trespass, pro prim-litter, pro-griefer, fake explorer trash movement to a tee.

Is it possible that all your issues with all kinds of griefing and harassment in SL is a result of perverse incentive? Like the Streisand Effect?

Streisand effect - Wikipedia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Paul Hexem said:

Is it possible that all your issues with all kinds of griefing and harassment in SL is a result of perverse incentive? Like the Streisand Effect?

Streisand effect - Wikipedia

Ah the "gsslighting" begins, "victims of crime are the cause of crime" BS.

In point of fact I have NO trouble with griefers, thanks to ban lines, zero second punt the trash and perma ban orb, abuse report, mute, derender, relax with cold beer.

It's the BEST policy there is.

20 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Ah the "gsslighting" begins, "victims of crime are the cause of crime" BS.

In point of fact I have NO trouble with griefers, thanks to ban lines, zero second punt the trash and perma ban orb, abuse report, mute, derender, relax with cold beer.

It's the BEST policy there is.

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Yes so that then the perpetrators can gaslight others into believing they are the victim. 

Speaking of words that have lost their meaning due to overuse. Perverse incentive is not "gaslighting".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

To be clear on my personal position:-

I think Zalificent or anyone else who is a land owner should be able to prevent people driving onto their parcel if they don't want people driving onto their parcel. That's totally reasonable.

I can totally understand why you wouldn't want people driving onto your lawn. I don't think that vehicle drivers should be entitled to drive over peoples private property.

What I want is features for the land owners who do want people to be able to park and shop. I think land owners should be at liberty to decide if people can park and explore in their sim.

I also want public rights of way such as roads and waterways to allow temporary parking within reason. I also want to be able to sail big ships out on the ocean, and walk around on them freely. I think that would be pretty cool, and open up new types of roleplay on the sea that was not previously possible.

My aim by starting this thread was to put my desires through the fires of hell that is the forum and see what is really holding SL back from having these abilities. It's my hope that by starting to build a bigger picture that I can eventually put forward a more bullet proof proposal that's less likely to get shot down and more likely that everyone will find at least somewhat agreeable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

To be clear on my personal position:-

I think Zalificent or anyone else who is a land owner should be able to prevent people driving onto their parcel if they don't want people driving onto their parcel. That's totally reasonable.

I can totally understand why you wouldn't want people driving onto your lawn. I don't think that vehicle drivers should be entitled to drive over peoples private property.

What I want is features for the land owners who do want people to be able to park and shop. I think land owners should be at liberty to decide if people can park and explore in their sim.

I also want public rights of way such as roads and waterways to allow temporary parking within reason. I also want to be able to sail big ships out on the ocean, and walk around on them freely. I think that would be pretty cool, and open up new types of roleplay on the sea that was not previously possible.

My aim by starting this thread was to put my desires through the fires of hell that is the forum and see what is really holding SL back from having these abilities. It's my hope that by starting to build a bigger picture that I can eventually put forward a more bullet proof proposal that's less likely to get shot down and more likely that everyone will find at least somewhat agreeable.

Nothing. It already has, depending on how object-entry and auto-return are set. In Satori, where I spend a lot of my time, I've stopped temporarily on roads often. My "family businesses" often have parking lots that are set for exactly what you want. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 92 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.