Free: Graven Hearts Mainland AutoBan System - Hopefully stepping back from the nuclear option

Gabriele Graves

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 91 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Longest running thread in the Mainland Land forum in a long time. You are to be commended for starting it. :SwingingFriends:

I'm sure there is one at least who is jealous.

Probably why there is so much exaggerated argument, in attempts to derail it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Longest running thread in the Mainland Land forum in a long time. You are to be commended for starting it. :SwingingFriends:

I'm sure there is one at least who is jealous.

One thing is for sure, at least it is getting some views which is good.  I mean, probably not the intent by @Gabriele Graves but if it had not gone so far off topic, it would have probably died and fewer people would be aware of the new security tool available.  

• Like 5

It you revisit the OP, you will find that it is an announcement of a free product that addresses privacy issues on mainland. It poses no question nor asks for comments. It is a perfectly reasonable post about a clever product.

I made several posts which raised various issues. In response, the term "malfeasance" was used. I was also asked what I want.

So I will reply to that, in summary form, without further justification.

1. In Bridget Jones fashion, I like mainland just the way it is.

2. I support privacy on mainland (including the get off my lawn variety).

3. My preferred privacy tool is the orb.

4. I dislike banlines.

5. I believe Linden Lab was wise when years ago they restricted banlines to 50m above terrain and invented 4000+meter banlines for individual avatars.

Edited by diamond Marchant
usual typos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

One thing is for sure, at least it is getting some views which is good.  I mean, probably not the intent by @Gabriele Graves but if it had not gone so far off topic, it would have probably died and fewer people would be aware of the new security tool available.  

Oh didn't seem to me to have gone off topic till the last page and then only by ones who were not really involved in the discussion to begin with. One of the top posters in the thread I still don't really know what side of the debate they are on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, diamond Marchant said:

It you revisit the OP, you will find that it is an announcement of a free product that addresses privacy issues on mainland. It poses no question nor asks for comments. It is a perfectly reasonable post about a clever product.

I made several posts which raised various issues. In response, the term "malfeasance" was used. I was also asked what I want.

It was really the repeated things you said that simply were not true that raised my ire.  I'm happy to concede, I may have been hasty about that.

There is just one point though I would like to address:

I don't see this as a product, I see it as just a project from a hobbyist.  It may certainly look like a product because I have employed branding techniques but it only looks like that.  Think of it as play-branding, nothing more.

I don't sell any products here, everything I do make available to others, I give away for free and have no intention to change that ever.  I don't make my living in SL and never have.  I don't need to nor do I desire to do that.

I did make a singular product once over 12 years ago (a voting contest system) when I toyed with the idea of paying for my land solely with proceeds from SL but it was not using the "Graven Hearts" branding and eventually I sold the whole rights for that to another person when I went on hiatus around 2010.

The Graven Hearts branding came from made-up vampire clan (that was never an actual clan) that a friend and I came up with for some informal roleplay when I came back to SL and just put some artwork together for fun.   I use the same play-branding thing for all the projects I intend to give away and it's just my attempt to make everything consistent and look just a little bit polished.

I really don't have anything to sell anyone.

I'm not saying you are saying that at all but I feel there might be confusion and suspicion lurking around the Graven Hearts thing a little in this topic for some reason especially when the word "Product" is being bandied around.  So I hope this clears that up for anyone who was wondering.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, diamond Marchant said:

Yep! I mentioned this earlier too.

But at the same time, it's perfectly normal to receive comments on a post / thread when "none are requested or desired".  (It can be somewhat humorous when newer posters write things like, "only post if you agree with me", or "no need to reply".)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Considering the point of the product is to avoid having to eject anyone without warning, the thread has taken a long detour to promote pride in doing that one specific thing we were told we shouldn't.

That's how it works. Tell someone not to eat "Tide Pods", and they will eat "Tide Pods".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yep! I mentioned this earlier too.

But at the same time, it's perfectly normal to receive comments on a post / thread when "none are requested or desired".  (It can be somewhat humorous when newer posters write things like, "only post if you agree with me", or "no need to reply".)

I always assume that no matter whether a topic poster wants discussion or not, that they will get it so it never occurred to me to have to give anyone permission to discuss the topic.  Is that not the expectation?  I definitely expected it.

• Like 2

I've made a v1.2 update that now does what @Zalificent Corvinus suggested and by default no will longer ban anyone already on the owner's land to make it easier to have people over.  There is an option on the new HUD to revert back to the original behaviour.

This version also contains some bug fixes.

I have submitted a bulk redeliver request but it's been over 8 hours so far and it's still pending.  I'm not sure what to expect delay-wise there (or if it will ever work???) as I've never done that before, so I'd suggest that anyone who wants the update probably should redeliver it manually.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2024 at 1:10 AM, Gabriele Graves said:

Hi All,

There has been much talk about security systems and their associated problems, either real or perceived.

One thing that comes up often is that many people find it really difficult to move around mainland with fear of being suddenly sent home by a zero-second orb if they may accidentally stray onto someone else's land.  One sentiment often expressed by travelers is that they would prefer banlines because those are at least viewable and potentially avoidable.  Land owners might also prefer to use banlines if it weren't for the fact that putting up banlines for everyone only affects people up to 50m above the terrain.

So I decided to do something about it instead of just participating ad-nauseam in the arguments for and against the way people achieve their mainland privacy.

The result is a freely available, simple to use security system just for mainland that addresses these issues.  Technically an orb but it only uses banlines to implement it's security and the banlines go up all the way for everyone.  It does not do teleport home.  It does not send messages to anyone including any to inform the system owner of who it raised the banlines for.  It will always be free, I will never attempt to monetize it in anyway.  It is copy/mod/transfer except for the scripts which are copy/transfer only.  This is really only to stop people claiming this as their own work.  People are free to pass this along to anyone who wants a copy.

This system only works on mainland, not private regions, not Bellisseria.

How does it work?

Firstly, it's simple.

Once an avatar enters the region where your land is, they are automatically added to the land banline list.  When they leave the region, they are removed from the land Banline list so that the system can cope with unlimited avatars.  There only needs to be as many available places on the land banlist as the land can concurrently host avatars for it to ban everyone that comes by and the list currently supports 300 places.  So no worries on that score as all mainland regions are a long way below that number for how many avatars they can hold.

Due to the fact that unwanted guests have been added by name to the land banlist the banlines go will all the way up just as they are supposed to.

What happens if they teleport directly to your land?  The system will eject them as part of the ban that happens immediately.  This is the only circumstance where they will be able to get on your land for a tiny amount of time.  If you block teleport routing on your land options, even this will never happen.

So the rest is up to us, all of us mainlanders to spread the word and the system to as many people as possible who are currently using the nuclear option of zero-second orbs that teleport people home which are not detectable and hope they will see the benefit of changing over.

This is not a solution for those who want to keep their land open to other people in anyway.  It's never going to be.  It's an attempt to give an alternative to the nuclear option for those who just don't want any uninvited guests at all.

This system is available, for free, on my marketplace store here: Graven Hearts Mainland AutoBan System on Marketplace

I hope it makes a small step towards stepping away from the nuclear option.

I will support the system with assistance and bug fixes as necessary so feel free to send me an IM or notecard inworld, which ever you prefer.  My messages don't get capped and do go to email.

To the moderators:  I hope this is a good place to put this but feel free to move it to a better section if you feel it needs it.  This is the only area that seemed to fit.  It's not a commercial product and I will never charge anyone a bean for this.  I just like to make things as nice as I can.

I personally won't be using this ban system or any ban system and my lands are all open to the public always, except to select rare griefers who get put in the land ban list manually for cause, by me or a tenant.

Question: does your system used shared ban lists? That's really the operative question with all these systems. 

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I personally won't be using this ban system or any ban system and my lands are all open to the public always, except to select rare griefers who get put in the land ban list manually for cause, by me or a tenant.

Question: does your system used shared ban lists? That's really the operative question with all these systems. 

That's OK, I don't use it myself for the same reasons.

No, it absolutely does not and never will use shared ban lists.  That would not be any kind of step towards trying to improve anything.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 91 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.