Any hair recommendations for a base for Flexi

Subscribedd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've always disliked Flexi hairs because they never looked right from the back. I also never really liked the aspect of the BOM as a base and then the hair. But I've recently discovered using a sort of bob, or super short hair like Wasabi Mathilda hair, or Tram hair does help it look more natural. I've tried so hard to use only Tram hair as the material and shade and shine of black matches lots of the flexi hair i use. I wish there was a mesh base for these.   Does anyone have any recommendations for a low-cut hairstyle thats mesh? I've looked in truth,, DOUX, stealthic, no. match and even tram. tram has by far been a winner with one of the wasabi hairs. But I can't seem to find an almost low cut that isn't BOM. I'm also surprised I fell down this rabbit hole of flexi hairs. 

2 hours ago, Subscribedd said:

I've always disliked Flexi hairs because they never looked right from the back. I also never really liked the aspect of the BOM as a base and then the hair. But I've recently discovered using a sort of bob, or super short hair like Wasabi Mathilda hair, or Tram hair does help it look more natural. I've tried so hard to use only Tram hair as the material and shade and shine of black matches lots of the flexi hair i use. I wish there was a mesh base for these.   Does anyone have any recommendations for a low-cut hairstyle thats mesh? I've looked in truth,, DOUX, stealthic, no. match and even tram. tram has by far been a winner with one of the wasabi hairs. But I can't seem to find an almost low cut that isn't BOM. I'm also surprised I fell down this rabbit hole of flexi hairs. 

My previous account's most-complimented hairdo was a flexi 'do originally marketed to black lady avis. The hairbase sculpt was hideous, but the long, flowy hair... I feel you on the BoM hairbases, too, because I've bought several and none of them really work for my devilock 'do I made. I still haven't seen any short mesh styles that I would feel confident in using as a base.

This is now officially on my to-do list; tintable, close-fitting hairbase for mesh heads. If I can make one that works decently, I'll give it away free.

In the meantime, I am seconding the request in the OP. Even just a fitted mesh buzzcut with the right lines would help.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is a "black lady avi" the same as a female person of color avatar?

I haven't heard or read "black lady" in awhile, so am wondering. 

Everyone's a person of some kinda color last I checked, but I was talking specifically about ladies. You know, someone who isn't a dude, and has a lot of class. They have really super nice hair sometimes.

Where I'm from nobody tries to call me out for referring to them as a black lady. They call me white, too. I don't think anyone means anything "weird" or "inappropriate" by it. Even my neighbors use my visually identifying features when I come up in conversation, it's just for ease of description. Yeah, I'm old, but so are a lot of my neighbors.

It's not a gentrified neighborhood yet, so nobody gets offended or is hypersensitive to mere descriptive words. We're too busy hanging out and mowing each other's lawns without being asked. Sharing when we made too much food, you know, stuff like that.

So anyway, why is that important?

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 6

On topic: 

If you're talking about very, very closely buzzed/shaved hairstyles mixed with some longer cuts/designs, I've found mesh bases to be a bit...lacking in that area. One of my favorite hairstyles is designed just like that - a close-fitting mesh "shaved" or buzzed base with longer braids and buns (styles changeable via HUD). I eventually had to quit wearing it because waiting up to 2-3 minutes for it to actually rez on my head was a bit much. On its own, the hairstyle could push a good 80,000+ complexity (didn't matter to me, but may be a factor for some) and I eventually stopped wearing it because swapping it on/off was a chore.

These days, I definitely opt for BOM bases with mesh addons - either sold & designed to work together or I just mix/match myself. I've had the best success going for mix & match, since I'm rather picky about my hairstyles. 

If you're talking about general short above-the-shoulder length hair that comes without a BOM base at all, I typically buy those from Yomi, bonbon, .Shi, Sintiklia, Dura, Kuni, Moon, and BarberYumYum.

Quick off topic:

I'm certainly no spokesperson for black women and it'll vary widely, but I see nothing at all wrong with Pheeby's phrasing. On the other hand, I loathe being called a POC. Blah.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

person of color avatar

Which color?  The world has many colors and shades of such for people.  If you have to give a description to the police on a suspect, are you going to say "a person of color"?  Is that meaning African, Chinese, Asian, Mexican, etc........ ?

Truth be told, black is actually "the absence of color", so to be technically correct, you can't say "person of color" in lieu of saying "black".

8 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

Everyone's a person of some kinda color last I checked, but I was talking specifically about ladies. You know, someone who isn't a dude, and has a lot of class. They have really super nice hair sometimes.

Oh cool. Then, I know lots of nice black ladies at church. Thanks for setting me straight!

• Like 1

My alt Alycia has been wearing one of the numerous No.Match group gift hairs, called No_Explosion. They have very many styles for African hair. This one that I love on her comes in 2 parts. The part close to the head is mesh braids. The optional add-on is long mesh curls at the back (almost like flexi) that can be a single color or with wilder colors on the ends. I add one of the Lelutka BOM hairbases for gorgeous black baby curls around her face. Since No_Explosion comes in 2 parts, I think one could wear the mesh scalp braids and add a bun or fall, if one wanted a classy updo.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/174575

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/nomatch-NOEXPLOSION/23259049

No_But looks cute too

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/nomatch-NOBUT-all-COLORS-DEMO/24947973

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You could try  Unorthodox also.. They might have some things you are looking for..

they have some mesh and flexi mix styles there..

They also have like a mesh cap that fits over the scalp and hairbases can be applied called scalpz.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ya, Those are pretty nice, I have a few..

oh really? is it just called like scalpz? Cause I'm not a fan of the BOM with flexi. it just drives me up a wall. Granted i used a flexi with Wasabi - mathilda hair and it actually looks pretty great because of the volume.  But I just flat out refuse to flexi + BOM this haha

16 minutes ago, Subscribedd said:

oh really? is it just called like scalpz? Cause I'm not a fan of the BOM with flexi. it just drives me up a wall. Granted i used a flexi with Wasabi - mathilda hair and it actually looks pretty great because of the volume.  But I just flat out refuse to flexi + BOM this haha

It's a mesh cap fitted closely to your head. A skullcap. You need to purchase the appliers designed for it to apply a hairbase.  It's basically a mesh/BOM looking hairbase.  If that makes sense.  There is no depth to it like actual mesh hair.   The is a me wearing Scalpz with an applied hairbase.

ETA...it's not really what you're looking for.

Vanity Up Close

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's a mesh cap fitted closely to your head. A skullcap. You need to purchase the appliers designed for it to apply a hairbase.  It's basically a mesh/BOM looking hairbase.  If that makes sense.  There is no depth to it like actual mesh hair.   The is a me wearing Scalpz with an applied hairbase.

ETA...it's not really what you're looking for.

Vanity Up Close

Thank you, this visual helps a lot.  i really wish someone would make a mesh-like scalp hairbase. im super surprised it hasnt been done yet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.