You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1.  ”Why” is a very poor choice of a forum topic... 🫤
  2. What you are hearing is a collision sound, here triggered by your avatar's feet on each of the steps of the stair.
  3. The fact you can hear such sounds on some stairs and not others, depends on the physics hull (the mesh taken into account, server-side, by the Physics engine of SL): in this particular case the hull is likely the same as the stairs (rendering) mesh. Some creators will create a physics hull with a plane placed on top of the steps instead, preventing to physically ”bump” into each step.
  4. If you get annoyed by collision sounds, you may disable them in the viewer (depending on the viewer, this can be found somewhere in the Preferences floater, or at worst, via the debug settings as ”EnableCollisionSounds”, which you can toggle to FALSE).
Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 2

It sounds (heh) related to a simulator bug, but sloping around jira and release notes and that forums thread, I sure can't figure out the history. It appears that it's still happening at least on the December 12 release that was intended to fix it (now running on Magnum RC regions) but maybe also(?) on the widely installed November 9 release but apparently it was fixed for a while, possibly on the December 1 "Fall Colors" release, which was slated to be installed on all RCs December 13 but I don't see it anywhere now. The jira suggests one mode of the bug is triggered by moving between releases, but that may not be what folks are hearing now.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

It sounds (heh) related to a simulator bug

No, that simulator sound spamming bug is something else: the problem with that simulator bug is that the collision sound which gets spammed (SND_STONE_DIRT_02, apparently, see sound_ids.h/cpp) is not accounted as a collision sound (between objects or avatar/object) and thus cannot even be muted via ”EnableCollisionSounds”.

For the next Cool VL Viewer release, I added all SND_STONE_* sounds to the collisions sounds list, so that they can be muted like the rest; but hopefully, LL will fix that server-side bug soon. 😜

Edited by Henri Beauchamp

Okay, and as I said, I find the situation confusing which is why I said only "related" to the cited jira. Anyway, this current thread sure seems to reference whatever simulator bug is described in the forums thread cited by Rowan above, which has been reportedly coming and going with weekly restarts since about US Thanksgiving. (I dredged up that particular jira based on collision sound bugs reported fixed in simulator releases during that interval.)

• Thanks 1

In case it's actually relevant after all, fresh news from the Simulator User Group:

[12:03] Rider Linden: So.  With luck, I've just fixed what I hope is the last bug in Fall Colors and we can finish getting that rolled out to the RC channels next week.
[12:04] Rider Linden: Next on deck is Gingerbread so expect that to follow closely on its heals.
[12:04] Robin Lobo: includes the collision sound bug ?
[12:04] Vale (thunder.rahja): Fall Colors, part 2, hopefully with fewer default collision sounds 😆

(also, apropos nothing, Jira is going away… "very VERY soon")

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

If you believe Barry Mann, it's probably the same person who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong.

That wasn't the witch doctor? It all starts to run together, after "Eee Aaah, Oooh Aaah Aaah". 

I could be confusing "ting tang walla-walla bing-bang" with "rama lama ding dong".  See the problem? Those novelty songs!!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 142 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.