transparent costumes?

Mariocroft94

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 117 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello

I just recovered a long lost account. everything looks diferent of how i left it in the past, i think someone hacked it while i was away and have been using it but i changed password now so i think its fine. but i am trying to put some clothes on him and i get these transparents thing , also dont like his face ! i think someone deleted my old clothes and bought some new naasty ones but the main problem is that everything i set is transparent, only the head is not invisible. also when i click on some clothing i get these wierd giant gift box instead of a shirt

Edited by Mariocroft94
  • Sad 1

OMG! You need to go through the beginner tutorials again.

Linden made SL Tutorials here.

If you haven't been in SL since 2012... the changes are huge. You have a bunch to learn. If you haven't been in since 2018-2019 you'll have a clue but be really confused. And it will be confusing, no matter what, as there are tutorials for different eras of SL. There is the System Avatar era, the Fitted Mesh Body with Applers era, and the latest Mesh Body with BOM era. Any tutorial made before 2019 is going to likely seriously confuse you. Stay with newer stuff.

This may help: Getting Ready for “Bakes on Mesh” Bodies which is a bit old but hopefully get you through the transition to the current way of doing things.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mariocroft94 said:

hello

I just recovered a long lost account. everything looks diferent of how i left it in the past, i think someone hacked it while i was away and have been using it but i changed password now so i think its fine. but i am trying to put some clothes on him and i get these transparents thing , also dont like his face ! i think someone deleted my old clothes and bought some new naasty ones but the main problem is that everything i set is transparent, only the head is not invisible. also when i click on some clothing i get these wierd giant gift box instead of a shirt

😳 I wanted a "Wow!" emoji.

Congratulations on getting you account back. Don't worry too much about your old clothes being deleted. If they were very old you might be happier with new ones. Some may also be able to be redelivered. Go to your favorite stores to see if they have a Redelivery option. Delete all the crap the other person added too, if there's nothing there you want. Old system clothing may still be usable as Bakes On Mesh, if you get a mesh body. The only part that doesn't work well are system skirt layers. Flexi and bling are out of fashion now too.

p.s.

Rowen added a good explantation for what you called "transparent clothing".  If this is what you were taking about, don't delete it all. You'll need that to wear mesh clothing properly.

Edited by Persephone Emerald

1 hour ago, Mariocroft94 said:

hello

i see no real evidence in your descriptions to accuse somebody from taking over your account.
By the long period of time that has passed i'm, by experience, sure the inventory is damaged and possible nearly gone.

The box you say to get when adding a inventory item is normal, really everything in the past got delivered in boxes, and those might remain as old relics of past times in your inventory. Rezz them and unpack.

As the others suggested, start from scratch and get used to the current systems how we dress up our avatars, as soon you get the tricks a bit back i'm sure you'll like it!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mariocroft94 said:

i am trying to put some clothes on him and i get these transparents thing

Those are called Alpha layers.  The hide either the default body parts or the mesh body parts which enable you to wear mesh clothing.   Mesh clothing shows as an object in your inventory folder instead of how system layers look (shirt, pants, socks, etc.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i see no real evidence in your descriptions to accuse somebody from taking over your account.
By the long period of time that has passed i'm, by experience, sure the inventory is damaged and possible nearly gone.

The box you say to get when adding a inventory item is normal, really everything in the past got delivered in boxes, and those might remain as old relics of past times in your inventory. Rezz them and unpack.

As the others suggested, start from scratch and get used to the current systems how we dress up our avatars, as soon you get the tricks a bit back i'm sure you'll like it!

If you found items in your inventory that you didn't remember buying, while other items you thought you had seemed to be missing, wouldn't you also think someone had been messing with your in inventory? We don't know if the account was hacked or if someone they knew had access to it. Inventory doesn't usually disappear on its own (unless someone has a very big inventory without many subfolders). LL was also cleaning up some very large and unorganized inventories, so maybe that's what happened to the OP? 

To the OP,

If you wear an alpha layer that leaves only your head visible, it may be meant to go with a mesh body or mesh clothing. Look in your inventory under Worn and take a screenshot for us if you can.

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

Inventory doesn't usually disappear on its own

yes it does with long unused accounts, in special recovered accounts never get the guarantee the inventory will be there, partially or at all.

at the recovering/reactivation page:

Even if your account is restored, the associated inventory, land, and Linden dollar balance may be unrecoverable.
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

If you found items in your inventory that you didn't remember buying, while other items you thought you had seemed to be missing, wouldn't you also think someone had been messing with your in inventory? We don't know if the account was hacked or if someone they knew had access to it. Inventory doesn't usually disappear on its own (unless someone has a very big inventory without many subfolders). LL was also cleaning up some very large and unorganized inventories, so maybe that's what happened to the OP? 

To the OP,

If you wear an alpha layer that leaves only your head visible, it may be meant to go with a mesh body or mesh clothing. Look in your inventory under Worn and take a screenshot for us if you can.

You'r assuming to much in my opinion. See my post above.

some people don't even remember their initial security question after a week, or their birth date at sign up .. not even starting about email adresses...nobody can remember everything that's bought a few years ago. The thing that seems to happen with alpha's could even be from the start of mesh... and that's around for quite a while.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

Skell Dagger has many tutorials. Personally I prefer reading instead of videos - it is a ton of videos, but the quality vary. https://virtualbloke.com/tutorials

You can ignore all he writes about Omega and appliers - that is mostly outdated. I use it on makeup and nails only. Mesh and BOM tutorials are good. You can even read over his tutorial about "The absolute basics of the System Avatar" if you need to fresh up what you remember. It is mesh bodies and heads that is what most of use in SL now

And here, how to put together a bloke on a budget:

https://virtualbloke.com/archives/5352

This tutorial is brand new, but if you want the free head, you must hurry.

Grab the free head before it is too late (Until 7th January 2024).

A head is one of the larger investments in Second Life. The tutorial I posted over here, explains how to get it. Scroll down to "LOGO Mainstore" in the text.

This head can also be used with different skins, so if the skin is not what you are looking for, buy a new skin later.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Those are called Alpha layers.  The hide either the default body parts or the mesh body parts which enable you to wear mesh clothing.   Mesh clothing shows as an object in your inventory folder instead of how system layers look (shirt, pants, socks, etc.)

thank you! now i get it.at first i thought my character was damaged or something because of the updates... its a realy old account. its time to start from zero i suppose 

Edited by Mariocroft94
  • Like 1

I was recently able to recover my original avatar account from 2007, but my inventory was all gone. Of course, that was probably different in that it was a deleted account, not just inactive. I'm assuming the OP's account was not deleted. However, there was nothing, and I mean nothing, in my inventory at all when I was able to log into that account. The profile was intact, though. Even still partnered to my RL ex-husband's also-deleted account...which I promptly rectified after taking some profile screenshots for posterity's sake. :)

Edited by Shiloh Lyric
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shiloh Lyric said:

I was recently able to recover my original avatar account from 2007, but my inventory was all gone. Of course, that was probably different in that it was a deleted account, not just inactive. I'm assuming the OP's account was not deleted. However, there was nothing, and I mean nothing, in my inventory at all when I was able to log into that account. The profile was intact, though. Even still partnered to my RL ex-husband's also-deleted account...which I promptly rectified after taking some profile screenshots for posterity's sake. :)

Sometimes missing inventory can be recovered, though probably not for an account that was deleted that long ago.

I had a a bunch of inventory missing once, including my whole shoe folder. I contacted support and was directed to log into the Alditi (spelling?) grid, where a Linden helped reset and restore my regular inventory. They said at the time that I had too much inventory & too many folders. After that I started deleting stuff & organizing my inventory better to get well under 100,000 items.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Sometimes missing inventory can be recovered, though probably not for an account that was deleted that long ago.

I had a a bunch of inventory missing once, including my whole shoe folder. I contacted support and was directed to log into the Alditi (spelling?) grid, where a Linden helped reset and restore my regular inventory. They said at the time that I had too much inventory & too many folders. After that I started deleting stuff & organizing my inventory better to get well under 100,000 items.

I had thought about seeing if they could restore any of the inventory. But, quite honestly, it would have only been for nostalgia purposes. That account was created in 2007 and then deleted in later 2008. So any inventory was pretty ancient.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 117 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.